S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterless Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Ok, have decided to go for it. Will probably set it up in month or so.

Once I have some good data I will share, but that can take possibly another month or so after install.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure if there is still interest, but just a quick update in case there still is

Evans is in, so will report back in a couple of weeks what my experiences are.

For now I have set it up as pressure less.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Use seawater. It doesn't freeze as quickly. All natural.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Not sure if there is still interest, but just a quick update in case there still is.
Evans is in, so will report back in a couple of weeks what my experiences are. For now I have set it up as pressure less.
Consider me interested. A pressure-less coolant system would be great, as long as the higher coolant temperatures don't shorten hose life. You'll need more than a couple of weeks to check that out.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Sorry, I still don't understand why a pressureless system is of any benefit at all. Cars are designed to operate at around 15psi and have no trouble doing so throughout their service life.

I'm not even sure how a modified system would ensure that airborne moisture never comes in contact with the coolant. Even minor contamination reduces the effectiveness of the fluid to worthlessness.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robinb
Consider me interested. A pressure-less coolant system would be great, as long as the higher coolant temperatures don't shorten hose life. You'll need more than a couple of weeks to check that out.
I have some temperature strips placed to keep an eye on this. I personlay don't think the temperature will be so much hotter that failure would be because of that, but time will tell. Some hoses on my car are 120Kmiles old, and the rest 250Kmiles.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Sorry, I still don't understand why a pressureless system is of any benefit at all. Cars are designed to operate at around 15psi and have no trouble doing so throughout their service life.
Just think about the hose under the supercharger to name an example. As you can see I am over the service life already ;-)

I'm not even sure how a modified system would ensure that airborne moisture never comes in contact with the coolant. Even minor contamination reduces the effectiveness of the fluid to worthlessness.
For now my guess is that the little moist that could come in, will be just as well expelled as vapor again. But I am no expert on this area, and will measure it over time to be sure.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You too??

I have the under SC hose original on my 2005 STR at 108K miles. Did not want to change yet. Do you have any plans to change it?

Or wait until it gives out?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 PM

I don't understand the benefit of a pressurised system. It often results in coolant being sprayed all over the engine compartment, following the bursting of a hose because of the pressure. I have had a coolant hose burst, a temperature gauge reading "normal" until it was nearly too late, and a "coolant low" message that actually means "deep sh*t begins in seconds" precisely because it was a burst hose and not just a leak. I have seen 2 people nearly scalded because a pressurised coolant system suddenly gave way. And there are 18 coolant hoses on my STR.

We are (nearly) all driving old Jags so, yes, a pressure-less coolant system is of interest. Best of all, Avos is doing the research.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Jag-shop here has used Evans for tens of N/A Jags during last two years. No bad issues. I bought big can of Evans Performance stuff same time they started to sell it but I am still running 15% coolant / 85% water + Redline WaterWetter.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,565 Likes on 3,969 Posts

I think the benefit of a pressurised water-based coolant system is higher temperatures. Those improve emissions and mpg (it's a heat engine, ordinary physics).

The valley pipe is a counter-argument, though that's a sad situation!

Old 11-14-2014, 05:00 AM

I always enjoy reading about the latest magic fluid developed for cars. Like my dear departed grandmother always would say, "yeaaaah boy!". She was being sarcastic with all of the outlandish claims.

I used to read a certain performance catalog published in Ohio. One time I read about a product that kept your exhaust pipes cooler and on another page, another that kept your exhaust pipes hotter, both designed to improve performance. That's when I laughed, threw the thing in the trash and never looked at it again.

There will always be products. Consider wetter water. If it is so good at absorbing heat, how does it lose the heat in the radiator? It can't be both.

If you use the proper coolant and keep it changed when it is supposed to be changed, you'll be fine. Hoses are not going to last forever anyway. Pressurizing the system increases the boiling point rather than have coolant boil away and not stay in a liquid form in your engine.

I do not know of a single auto manufacturer who uses wetter water or any other magic fluid in their vehicles.

What next? Marvel Mystery Oil?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,565 Likes on 3,969 Posts

If it costs more then makers won't use it as they don't have worries about hoses bursting in awkward places like under the SC. They just look at cost when first made.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tony1963
I always enjoy reading about the latest magic fluid developed for cars. Like my dear departed grandmother always would say, "yeaaaah boy!". She was being sarcastic with all of the outlandish claims.

I used to read a certain performance catalog published in Ohio. One time I read about a product that kept your exhaust pipes cooler and on another page, another that kept your exhaust pipes hotter, both designed to improve performance. That's when I laughed, threw the thing in the trash and never looked at it again.

There will always be products. Consider wetter water. If it is so good at absorbing heat, how does it lose the heat in the radiator? It can't be both.

If you use the proper coolant and keep it changed when it is supposed to be changed, you'll be fine. Hoses are not going to last forever anyway. Pressurizing the system increases the boiling point rather than have coolant boil away and not stay in a liquid form in your engine.

I do not know of a single auto manufacturer who uses wetter water or any other magic fluid in their vehicles.

What next? Marvel Mystery Oil?
I have carefully weighted all the pros and cons for the OEM setup and the Evans one, which I don’t see as a magic new coolant, nor as a must do change for any setup. For now there are clearly more positive aspects for the Evans coolant then OEM when I consider them for mine.

Am not so much in favor of water wetter, as far as I understand its main strength is that it reduces the surface tension, so there is less loss of heat transfer to the water (not water wetter) when boiling occurs in hot spots, that is good. The OEM coolants also have some inhibitors that have this property added, so in a way almost all auto manufacturers have adopted it;-), so for a standard OEM setup it is not needed at all.

Anyway, I try to inform all as best as I can about the actual performance and aspects of this Evans coolant. As said it has pro’s and con’s, and I need ensure for myself if the con’s are acceptable or not for my setup.

But tell me more about this Marvell Mysory Oil, what sort of magic stuff is that ;-)

Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Modern coolants already have all the ingredients of 'water wetter' blended in. Adding more is of no benefit. The purpose of the surfactant is to aid in heat transfer. Stating that it simply absorbs heat is misinformed.

I'm surprised to hear about so many burst coolant hoses. Where is the research indicating that the hoses let go because of pressure and not heat? If it's heat, the Evans coolant will be a step in the wrong direction due to it's inferior heat transfer capacity.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Modern coolants already have all the ingredients of 'water wetter' blended in. Adding more is of no benefit. The purpose of the surfactant is to aid in heat transfer. Stating that it simply absorbs heat is misinformed.

I'm surprised to hear about so many burst coolant hoses. Where is the research indicating that the hoses let go because of pressure and not heat? If it's heat, the Evans coolant will be a step in the wrong direction due to it's inferior heat transfer capacity.
I’m surprised that you underestimate the effect of hot coolant with 1 BAR of pressure. Not sure why you are so against this all, but its noted.

Anyway, I have not seen any increase in temperature (in the short driving I’ve done so far), which is also not what I would expect, maybe under certain conditions where the radiator and fan aren’t able to transfer enough heat away. That will be for spring /next summer to test under some heavier engine loads.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by avos
I’m surprised that you underestimate the effect of hot coolant with 1 BAR of pressure. Not sure why you are so against this all, but its noted.

I underestimate nothing. I have trouble accepting that there is actually a real world problem that needs to be fixed by means other than replacing old worn out hoses.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Maybe someone will use it in aquarium to turn seawater into gold?

Yeeeeeeeaaaa boy!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:40 PM

I don't recall any hose or pipe bursting unless there was pressure inside. In my mind, the only real downside to Evans might be a higher IAT. Anyway, we are in luck, because...

--> Avos will do coolant research on Evans, and
--> Tony1963 could do coolant research on sea water, and
--> the rest of us can sit back and wait for results.

The following 2 users liked this post by Robinb:
avos (11-14-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-16-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
I don't recall any hose or pipe bursting unless there was pressure inside.
I don't recall any hose or pipe bursting unless there was considerable heat involved.

And around and around we go...................

Quick Reply: Waterless Coolant