Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing the S-Type....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Default Waxing the S-Type....

I am NOT a detailer but I do try to wax all of our vehicles at least two or three times a year. I've always preferred old-fashioned 100% carnauba wax and it has kept our vehicles in great shape over the years. But when I used up the last of my can of wax a few months ago, a friend convinced me to try a can of Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax. It is a blend of carnauba and polymers and is more "high-tech" than what I'm accustomed to.

I used this Gold Class wax for the first time this past Friday morning. I did our S-Type in less than an hour and was really impressed at how fast and easy this stuff goes on and buffs off. I did not use the round foam applicator that comes with the wax - I've always preferred using old worn-out 100% cotton diapers to apply and then remove any wax that I've used over the decades. This Gold Class wax is much more slippery (and hopefully more protective) than any carnauba wax I've ever used. Anything left on the freshly-waxed surfaces (rags, dust, leaves, etc.) will slide right off in just seconds. It is amazing how much better than plain carnauba wax this stuff appears to be. I don't know how long it will last, but that probably depends upon climate, air quality, frequency of car washes, etc. I'll try to remember to update this post once I have some idea of its longevity.

I found an 11-ounce can of this stuff at Wal-Mart for about $9. It must be rather popular in my neck of the woods because I grabbed the last can on the shelf at that time (in April, I think). If any of you out there decide to try it, please update this post with your impressions. I'm not willing to spend a half-day detailing a car as I often did 30 years ago, and I appreciate being able to find a product that provides a decent measure of paint protection in a very short period of application time....

Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The gold class is the best-by-far "discount"/readily & easily available wax out there.

A tip for making it last a lot longer is to use some wax-and-dry spray everytime you wash. It gives it a little extra shine and def an added layer of protection. I use the Turtle wax brand, there are several others out there but I bet they are similar in solution.

With both products it makes it much easier to get stuff like tree sap or bugs off the paint.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Jon, I have been using the Gold Class stuff for a long time. I have enjoyed the results of the wax. If you are looking to get a little bit more out of it, use some 3M Perfect It II rubbing compound. That will clean up any oxidation in the paint and then after being waxed will make the car look brand new. I wish I could find the Gold Class Scratch remover, but from what I have been able to find out, they stopped making it a few years ago.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Im going to try that Gold Class next wknd, I have been using Klasse, but I dont feel like spending $40-$60 for the kit seeing as its almost gone.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone recommended Gold Glass for my Jag a little while ago. I am very happy with the results. Its definitely a nice wax. I like to wax mine about 5 times a year, as the sun is brutal here in FL. It definitely applies quickly, but, like most waxes, it should be applied with as little direct sunlight as possible.

Last edited by FloridaJag; 07-07-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,869 Likes on 8,397 Posts

Has anyone given their car the clay bar treatment prior to wax ? I'm going to try and have mine done in a couple of weeks.
Anyone use Zaino Bros. wax? My stepson uses it on his Beemer and it does look good. I understand a lot of car show people use it on their trailer queens.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Zaino wax is really good but best applied by machine. Check my albums for pics of my cars with it.

& if you should def clay bar your car before waxing, if its not smooth to the touch when its wet it needs it for sure.

A tip for claying is instead of the lubricants lots of products include i just leave the water hose in one hand running on the paint and use this while claying with the other, works much easier & faster.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also been using the gold class and it does a great job cleaning and keeping the shine. Also, easy to apply and wipe off. Smells good too in the garage.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wash with P21S body shampoo

I Always clay before I wax.

For the Jag I use 3m Perfect-It Clay and Meguirs NXT spray detailer as a lube, followed by P21S Concours wax (its a carnuba) and then I top the P21S Carnuba with Meguirs NXT quick wax (not the same product as the quick detailer as it has more wax in solution).

After a day being detailed the Silver is so bright it's almost white! In the twilight hours you would swear my car is glowing.

Last edited by ohsigmachi; 07-08-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey Mike,

Can you do mine? Man that sounds like work. Anyway, I use the Gold Class liquid wax and a random orbital buffer. I use blue applicator pads to apply the wax and clean off the old crap. Then I use a terry cloth pad and finish off with a lambs wool pad. I really like the results. I have a bad shoulder and I'm basically lazy which is why I use the buffer.

Mike

Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use only Zaino products on all my vehicles. The results on my wife's black Lincoln LS is nothing short of specatular. My white S-type also looks considerably better with Zaino polish. I always use clay bar before polishing; it yields the absolute best results. Not that much work, but then I enjoy the whole detailing process.

In addition to the polish products, Zaino makes great leather care as well as tire dressing products. The tire dressing gives the tires a dull sheen; the closest I've seen to new, off-the-rack tires. None of that discount-store goopy, shiny, fake-looking appearance. And, it lasts a long time, even after several car-washings.

I won't soon be going back to the discount store waxes and potions.

JD

Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJAG
I use only Zaino products on all my vehicles. The results on my wife's black Lincoln LS is nothing short of specatular. My white S-type also looks considerably better with Zaino polish. I always use clay bar before polishing; it yields the absolute best results. Not that much work, but then I enjoy the whole detailing process.

In addition to the polish products, Zaino makes great leather care as well as tire dressing products. The tire dressing gives the tires a dull sheen; the closest I've seen to new, off-the-rack tires. None of that discount-store goopy, shiny, fake-looking appearance. And, it lasts a long time, even after several car-washings.

I won't soon be going back to the discount store waxes and potions.

JD
I've never been overly impressed with Zaino, for the money they charge there are better products IMO. The one place where I think Zaino really shines is dark colored single stage paints, but most of my cars over the years have been lighter colored clear coat, and I have gotten better results with other products.

Originally Posted by carelm
Hey Mike,

Can you do mine? Man that sounds like work. Anyway, I use the Gold Class liquid wax and a random orbital buffer. I use blue applicator pads to apply the wax and clean off the old crap. Then I use a terry cloth pad and finish off with a lambs wool pad. I really like the results. I have a bad shoulder and I'm basically lazy which is why I use the buffer.

Mike
It really isn't THAT much work since I wash and use the quick wax between applying the Carnuba paste. The NXT quick wax and quick detalers are really great products.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jon, I have been using the Gold Class stuff for a long time. I have enjoyed the results of the wax. If you are looking to get a little bit more out of it, use some 3M Perfect It II rubbing compound. That will clean up any oxidation in the paint and then after being waxed will make the car look brand new. I wish I could find the Gold Class Scratch remover, but from what I have been able to find out, they stopped making it a few years ago.
I found this. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
I found this. Good luck! http://www.autogeek.net/megoclbugtar1.html