S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ways oil can travel in to intake system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I would agree... Are the fittings in the picture what you are connecting to?

Could you post up a wider shot of where you mounted it?

What size hose are you using, 1/2"?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sure I'll have it finished up in a few hours. The inside diameter of the hose is simular to the size of the factory hose. Its a hardware store special, it wont look very nice but I can hook it back up to stock pretty quick if need be.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM

I'm going to try to not double post. I put the pictures in the thread with the topic of the problem I was having.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-66204/page2/

Old 01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Sorry, my bad I am slow sometimes.

Attached Thumbnails Ways oil can travel in to intake system.-photo2.jpg   Ways oil can travel in to intake system.-photo.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

OK Michael and 03XType... It looks like the actual PCV valve is on the passenger side and there is a standard breather on the driver's side. The PCV is routed to the intake and the breather tube goes into the intake air tube. Correct?

Also, any 3.0 owners want to jump in?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM

that is correct, extra caution should be taken with the pcv vacuum line, it degrades quite abit over time and it cracks easy, and its a pain to replace unless you route it a different way.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

I will take a pick of the pass side, but I don't think there is anything on that side for the PCV system. Couldn't I just run the line out of the valve cover, to a catch can, then the other side of the catch can back into the intake?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I will take a pick of the pass side, but I don't think there is anything on that side for the PCV system. Couldn't I just run the line out of the valve cover, to a catch can, then the other side of the catch can back into the intake?
Michael, the tube you pictured is a breather. Oil does not come from that line. The actual PCV is on the other side. If your breather is pushing oil you would see it on the intake air tube. Also, oil would collect on the throttle body and I'm guessing the car would trip codes. The only time oil would really get through there is if the PCV side of things was clogged. You could anger the EPA and replace the hose you pictured with one of those little breather filters... And let that side of the vapors out into the air like they used to!

The PCV valve vents into the intake manifold itself (or a part of the throttle body) that is downstream from the butterfly valve.

What I'd like to see is the raw connection at the PCV and intake. On my car it is just a hose barb that is 1/2". Just cut some 1/2" hose to length and patch it in. In the picture above, you run a hose from the PCV housing hose barb to the catch can. Then you run the other hose from the catch can to the intake manifold hose barb. You don't even need hose clamps...

Oh yea, I'll post pictures of mine tomorrow after I do the oil change.. You'll be amazed at what's in there after only 3,000 miles..

Last edited by JOsworth; 01-23-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: more details
Old 01-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Oh got ya! I was thinking of the incorrect thing.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Sorry to be dumb but what's wrong with just letting the PCV work as it was designed to work? It just adds some oil vapour and other vapours into the cylinders (more or less where they came from) and what's so bad about that?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Sorry to be dumb but what's wrong with just letting the PCV work as it was designed to work? It just adds some oil vapour and other vapours into the cylinders (more or less where they came from) and what's so bad about that?
I was waiting for that one... LOL

Here is a link to the LX Forums thread that get's into it some more. Catch can ?'s - Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

(Post #14 has links to other threads as well for the really inspired! LOL)

(I hope I'm not breaking the rules by doing that...)

To be honest, it cleans up the blow by that is recirculated by the PCV. In newer cars they go back into the intake manifold. Remember the old days? When you had that little white filter in your air cleaner that got all oily and dirty? Well, that dirty air is now sent back to be burnt in the combustion chamber. The problem is that it doesn't all make it to combustion and pools in the intake, then into the valves.

Yes, there is always the argument that "my car ran fine for 5 billion miles with out one of those".... My reason for one is why not? If you can clean things for a real reasonable price why wouldn't you. Why not stop the oil that pools up in the intake (and drips out on the 3.0)? So that is my logic behind it.

And why don't the OEM's put them on... Look at how bad the general public is about just simple oil changes.. Could you imagine giving them a filter can to empty as well????? Just let it pool in the intake is their take on it...I'm sure..

Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks.

I suppose they intended it be sucked into the engine rather than pooling anywhere, but goofed

If they get/got it right (maybe they do on the 4.2?) then it can't matter burning it since there's not much and some oil gets into the cyls anyway. The non-liquid stuff, which is not nice, just goes round and back into the cyls either way.

I used to have a car where they really messed up the PCV routing. It went via the input side of the air filter, via some foam first but that was pretty useless, and from there of course to the MAF. So that was a MAF that really really needed fairly frequent cleaning!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Alot of the oil collects in the intercoolers. When I pulled the supercharger I hot tanked the coolers to get them nice and clean.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't seen that mentioned before. It doesn't matter being there - or does it? - though it suggests the air flow isn't what you might hope.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

So here are the pictures of the catch can on my 300 like I promised a while back.

As you can see, it is mounted on an existing mount tab on the fender. Yes the bolt that mounts it is huge. They machine the bracket to fit the hole size.

It uses 1/2 hose. Excuse the 1 hose clamp. I am in the process of making a hard line so it is a little out of sorts. Anyway, to empty you only have to unbolt the allen screw and pull it up.

So, after 3,000 miles the can is half full with oil. I find it amazing that this thing catches that much oil in such a short time. And, there is nothing wrong with the PCV system or my engine. This is actually typical for anyone else using this system on a 5.7. It's sure nice to know that this oil isn't pooling up in my intake.

Again, if anyone has any questions about this, I'll do my best to answer.

Attached Thumbnails Ways oil can travel in to intake system.-p9280276.jpg   Ways oil can travel in to intake system.-p9280277.jpg   Ways oil can travel in to intake system.-p9280278.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM

I haven't seen that mentioned before. It doesn't matter being there - or does it? - though it suggests the air flow isn't what you might hope.

It wont matter unless over them the oil evolves in to a less liquid form. The only issue I can for see over time is the intercooler map sensor getting so many deposits that it stops working correctly. I'm not sure how mine was working with how bad it was covered.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Er... what i/c MAP sensor? Never heard of it.

Surely there's air rushing through so oil can't stay for long can it?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Er... what i/c MAP sensor? Never heard of it.

Surely there's air rushing through so oil can't stay for long can it?
I thought I remembered seeing 2 map sensors on the STR,

C2C22616 - map SENSOR S-Type; 4.2L; w/Supercharger; At Intake Manifold
AJ812337 - map SENSOR S-Type; 4.2L; w/Supercharger; At Throttle Elbow

Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

I think there's only one.

Regardless, how's it going to get oil into it? It's not open to the part you're referring to.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been runnig a catch can on my STR for a while. Keeps the TB and blower rotors from getting coated with oil. I get about half the container filled every month or so when I dump it. Oil on the pistons also promotes detention especially on cars running higher boost and mods. I dont know why everybody loves the factory pcv hose? Mine is silicone 1/2" hose from the pcv to the can to my custom intake tube, no craking and it bends around like you want it.

Quick Reply: Ways oil can travel in to intake system.