S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we prewired for Adaptive Cruise???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Are we prewired for Adaptive Cruise???

Hello all. To start this off, I was replacing the rad in the wife's STR (blew at the seam on the right side, just like all the others!). Began on Friday, was was a lovely 20C day, sunny, perfect to tackle the job. No rush since we had a spare car (dad is in Australia on business for a few days). Got the old rad out, new one in and then took a break and decided to wrap it up on Saturday, why push it. A bit off topic, but woke up to -2C and this outside:

Name:  IMG_20170422_122327_zps1pwpsj5e.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  375.6 KB

These are the days I envy those of you in the south. But no matter, we're tough up here, born from the ice, so I just finished it up anyway.

Anyway, back to the topic of interest. While I was in there, I noticed a connector, a connector I had seen before, but though nothing of it. That was back when I didn't know much about these cars. Now that I know more, when I saw it this time it got me thinking. I had been investigating retrofitting ACC to the STR as it is the last option it doesn't have, and since I have it on my SV8 and love it, why not. This was a while ago though and I was told 'not prewired so too much work' and that you need a new ABS pump and instrument cluster. So, forgot about it. But seeing this connector, hmmm. Looks exactly like the plug for the ACC module/radar (first gen all-in-one with the 12 pin connection) and is in exactly the right spot with the right number of wires running into it and I believe even the right colors.

Name:  ACC%20Module%20Plug_zpsgxh5tggb.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  166.2 KB

Now, did some digging and from what I can tell, ACC was a dealer add-on in some markets (maybe all markets?). So, car came in prewired, dealer added module/radar, forward alert switch, and steering wheel switch then just programmed the car. No need for a new cluster or ABS unit. This contradicts prior information I had obtained (isn't this the norm with these cars!) that they are not prewired and you needed a new cluster and ABS. I'm pretty sure that there are separate part #'s for clusters and pumps with/without ACC, but this wouldn't be the first time Jag used different part numbers for the same thing. We all know how they like to mess with us. Also, maybe this was the case only for the first Gen ACC (single radar/module) and the second Gen ACC (separate radar and module like in my SV8) needed all the extra parts and wasn't prewired. Anyway, in my mind this looks like all I would need to get ACC on the STR would be to start ebaying and look for the two switches and a gen 1 ACC module (took about 5 min to find them all, just a little pricey). So, am I imagining this here or would the retrofit be this easy? Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

It's true, kind of.

Yes in the early days ACC could be retrofitted by a dealer prior to delivery of a new vehicle.

On some models (like the X100 XK8/XKR) there were even complete kits that the dealers could order, everything they needed in the one box.

On the later cars (like the X150 XK, the X250 XF) this became impossible, because of different ABS units for ACC or non-ACC. Also the hardware of the ACC itself changed, to the separate radar transceiver and control module.

But in an S-Type 2003-2005 it's the same ABS module, same instrument cluster, no major hardware differences.

The problem you're going to have now is finding the old hardware components, they are obsolete, and TBH there were so many issues with the old design, most of what you'll find now will not be working properly anymore.

The programming to enable the ACC is not straight forward either. It's not plug & play, and there's a few tricks to making it work. You need an old version of the IDS or WDS diagnostic system, the function to enable it was removed from later diagnostic system SDD (when the dealers were no longer allowed to make such retrofits).

I know of about three or four cars where the ACC was removed because of faults, and put back to standard cruise. I don't know of any successful attempts to go the other way, apart from what dealers were doing back when the cars were new.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
Datsports (04-23-2017), motorcarman (04-23-2017), Panthro (05-13-2017), WinterJag (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 PM

As usual Cambo, you are the ultimate source of knowledge!

So I had it right then. The early Gen 1 system would just need the all-in-one module and two switches then activate it. It's the Gen 2 system that needs all those new parts. As for the SDD version, how old does it need to be? I currently use v130, would I need an earlier one still?

I know the Gen 1 system was kinda iffy, but in my mind, it's worth a try. I guess I'm just a little crazy! And if it didn't work, well, I could just put it back to normal cruise. It just bugs me that there is an option out there that isn't too hard to install (well, by my standards. seems much easier than retrofitting NAV) and I don't have it! I have found all the parts, even the old module (warrantied to work) but I know they are obsolete.

I'm going to keep this in mind and try to tackle it this summer probably.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 PM

You need IDS, or WDS, not SDD. The functionality was removed from SDD.

The VID block needs to be edited and re-programmed to the instrument cluster to enable (or disable) the ACC. There are a couple of tricks to do this, but it can't be done with SDD at all.

I would not try any VID block manipulation on these 2003-2005 cars with anything other than an original VCM, or a WDS. IDS V118.5 is the best, but it only works with a VCM.

Also you cannot update the VID block unless every module in the car is functioning correctly. For example if I need to edit the VID block in my XJR I have to remove the X358 radio that's normally in it, and put an older one in that communicates properly, otherwise the update fails. If you have retrofitted Nav/Touchscreen there may be some compatibility issues...

It's a bit hard to explain but even though everything "works" normally, there are communication errors which prevent VID block programming from taking place.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Panthro (05-13-2017), WinterJag (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Well, if we never tried things that can be a challenge, how would we get anywhere!

What I'm getting from this is it is entirely doable, just can be tricky. I have no issue unhooking the nav and putting the original parts back in (easy enough). Same goes for the voice and bluetooth I retrofitted (again, easy to take out). That would put the car back to original factory specs. As for changing the VID block, I could try to get my hands on the proper equipment, but might just talk to the dealer about this one. I would think they will still have the proper equipment to deal with these cars, if not, I'll look for it myself (plan on keeping the car for a long time so can't hurt to have the proper stuff to work with it).

Either way, worth a try in my mind. I can find the parts easy enough and remove/install modules to get the car back to factory spec if need be, it's just that pesky programming. But, I've yet to see a challenge with these cars that hasn't been overcome with the help of this forum! I really appreciate the help Cambo and will put this on the back burner for a month or two (other things to worry about, like life!) but will revisit this then. I will most likely be back with questions! I stand by the idea that at one time all this was done by Jag dealers, so it can be done again!

ps. I had been looking at getting a VCM before and remember there is a VCM I and VCM II. If I were to attempt this retrofit, would either version of the VCM work fine or would I need version I?

Last edited by WinterJag; 04-24-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 PM

It's easy enough to test if the VID block update is going to work without risking a failed programming attempt. There is a network test function in IDS that polls all the modules on the network, if any of them don't respond during this test, that's the sign that there's a problem (even though the module is doing it's job otherwise).

Maybe a dealer is switched on a kept an old IDS V118.5 going on an old laptop, some do this sort of thing, some don't. Either way they should still have at least one original VCM in their workshop. Or maybe even an old WDS they've kept going...

No, you can forget the VCM2, it's useless for an older Jag like ours, they don't support SCP bus, and do not work with old versions of JLR IDS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Panthro (05-13-2017), WinterJag (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:20 PM

Thanks again Cambo! Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a VCM1 and IDS v118.5 (already have the old laptop to run it) over the next few months and thanks for the tip on the system check to see if all the modules are feeling cooperative!

I'll keep this updated as I do this but like I have mentioned, it may be a few months until I get around to it. Maybe I'm just crazy enough to try to be the first to retrofit this.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:48 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi everyone. Sorry to butt-in on your S Type forum but it appears that Cambo is very knowledgable on this ACC issue. I have an X350 (2003) with the same 1st Generation system and have been told that the module is not repairable. Not having this problematic extra doesn't bother me but it means the 'normal' cruise control is also inoperative. I am considering replacing the main ECU (ECM) with one from a car without ACC and re-programming the unit (I also have V130 IDS/SDD). Is that a straightforward operation or will I encounter problems (immobiliser etc) ?? OR, can I simply re-programme the existing ECU (ECM) ?? Many thanks.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

To swap PCM (ECM) I think you'd need other parts of the immo, so a reprogram would probably be better.

The right forum would have been wiser I think.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:54 AM

Thank you for your response JagV8. I have posted on the X350 forum as well, but with no opinions as yet. This ACC problem is a real headache to me (I waited for weeks for BBA to rebuild the unit and, when it was returned, it lasted one day. Now they have re-tested the unit and declared it kaput). I did try reprogramming the existing ECM using the SDD (with module removed) but it still showed 'Cruise Not
Available'. It appears that the ECM expects to see the module and regards it as faulty even when disconnected. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo probably wouldn't mind a PM - and blame me if he does...

Of course he may not know the answer.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Thanks JagV8 - will do. I must admit I feel like I'm

Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Noooo, don't feel that way. If it can be done and someone knows how then they'll probably say.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:42 PM

Well, thread resurrection time! But hey, I started the thread.

So, while it has been a while since I last posted on this project, I have finally made some progress. Basically, after I decided to go ahead and try this, I ended up getting a new job in the US, so we had to move to a new country, find a new house, get settled in a new job , you know all that fun stuff. Therefore, that put this project on hold. The second issue was finding the proper ACC module that wasn't priced like it was made of solid gold. Well, I am happy to report that things have settled down life wise and I managed to find a working ACC 2 module for only a couple hundred bucks with a guarantee so I snagged it. Now, I just finished installing it and while I know I will have to program things, I wondered it the car would recognize it (thereby suggesting it IS a working module). So, turned the key and guess what, DSC and Cruise not available messages appeared. I was actually happy to see those errors! So, looks like the car sees the module and recognizes now that the ABS module and other stuff isn't programmed for it. Good start so far. Now, I was just going to hook up my VCM, power up my IDS and hook up my power supply (yes, I have all the good stuff to program properly) but guess what, my laptop charger took a crap on me and the battery is also bad (would never program on a battery alone anyway, don't trust it!). Minor issues but I was all excited to try and get this working today, guess I already waited a few years to get to this point so what is another few days. Got a new charger and battery on order and I'll go from there.

As far as programming goes, I do believe that last time I was playing around I saw that ACC was a dealer add-on option and I could select it as an option to add. If this is the case I think programming should be pretty straight forward, but I will have to wait and see. So, the next post may either be a success story, or reaching out to the all mighty Cambo for some advice! Either way, stay tuned!

The following 3 users liked this post by WinterJag:
kr98664 (01-23-2021), Scotlad (01-23-2021), User 42324 (01-23-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Update!
So, I finally got my new battery and charger for my IDS laptop (ordered it weeks ago and for some reason it bounced around MD and NC for a while before coming to PA, then it went back to MD, NC, PA a few more time, gotta love USPS). I fired everything up today and decided to give things a try. Well, first good news is when you initially put the VIN in IDS and then say the information is not correct, I can change all the needed values to what I need (specifically you can select Adaptive Speed Control or Standard, so good to go there) to match all my changes (voice, phone, nav also need to be added to the VID block). Now the bad news is I couldn't figure out how to write this new modified VID block to the ECU, so I will need some guidance with that. However, there is some good news. As we all know, if a module isn't communicating properly an ECU reprogramming will fail. Well, I actually did reprogram my ECU (configure new module) and I thought it would add the modified VID block, but it didn't. It just re-programmed with the original data, but, IT WORKED! No errors or anything. So, this means that I shouldn't have any issue reprogramming. Also, when I do a read all modules thing, it reads my phone, voice, nav AND ACC module just fine and pulls error codes from all of them. So, clearly they all can communicate just fine (I was a little worried about the ACC unit as you never know with these older versions of the system). It also pulled error codes related to the ACC that basically just say no communication with ECU, makes sense and the ECU currently isn't looking for it to talk too. So, all in all, not a fully successful day, but a good day none the less.

So, I now reach out to our wonderful community with the following question: How do you modify the VID block data and then use that modified one to program the ECU? I know Cambo is our resident expert and I will send him a message, but just seeing if anyone can else can help and also let anyone else who may be needing to do some VID editing know what needs to be done.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:05 PM

Well, I must correct something I just said. It looks like my car DID reprogram correctly. I just went out to turn it on and make sure everything was all put away for the day and guess what, the Cruise not available went away and the red light on the forward alert switch turned on when the car started up. I then tested my voice commands as the module came from a car without a phone so voice phone controls never worked, well guess what, the Phone commands now work! So it appears that I did successfully reprogram my car. I still have one issue, DSC not available is still there, BUT I have not actually driven the car so maybe it just needs a quick spin somewhere. Or maybe I will have to specifically program the ABS module to tell it the car now has ACC. Either way, I am feeling pretty good right now. The car runs and drives fine, all the modules seem to be working and I just have to figure out the DSC issue. I think I'll sleep on this one and call it a successful day then tomorrow reinstall the front bumper, take the car for a spin and see what happens then try to tackle the DSC issue. I mean, really, things are more fun without DSC anyway!

EDIT: Well it looks like I got ahead of myself! I just decided to go out and scan the car again and have a look at things. Guess what, the VID block is still the original. Darn. It seems what happened is with the VCAM, I actually went to it specifically with the add/remove feature option and just manually programmed it alone, not the whole car. So I kinda tricked myself! The good news is I managed to access and program the ACC module just fine, so I shouldn't need to worry about issues with it (I know how delicate those ACC 2 systems can be). I am talking to Cambo and will let 'he who knows all' get me through this. Hey, at least I played around with IDS and reprogramming things and the car is fine, nothing bricked or blew up!

Last edited by WinterJag; 02-06-2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: New info
Old 02-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

How much harder is this for an 06 STR? are the parts impossible to find or too expensive? did it work better? and programmable? I swear I saw an option to add it on the SDD 131.something

Old 02-08-2021, 06:39 PM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe that after 04, the ACC system changed to ACC 3. It now used a radar unit and a separate control unit. Also, you need a new ABS unit and possibly instrument cluster. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this as my 05 XJ with ACC has this type of setup (with different part numbers for with/without ACC) and I know the 04 XJ's with ACC are the old version like I'm retrofitting here. Also, I don't know if the cars came prewired. However, the newer system parts seems to be much easier to find and cheaper! Could it be done, why not? Anything is possible. If it were me, I might even give it a try, I'll tear anything apart, and if it didn't work, oh well, put it back to the way it was. But I'm a bit crazy.