S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding required for mina exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Welding required for mina exhaust

I remember reading somewhere that another member said the Mina axle-back is a bolt-on install? What about the tips, don't they have to be welded? Any insight would be appreciated

Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Nope. Two clamps hold the rear silencers onto the pipes, same as the factory design. The tips are clamped on using band clamps.

I suppose you could tack weld them if you chose, but it's not required. It's a reasonably simple bolt on. I did one for a friend. I don't know what part of Jersey you're from but if you need help let me know.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Welding required for mina exhaust-st-exhaust-kit-2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I have installed what I was told is a MINA set of boxes. Yes the are a bolt on in place of the factory mufflers deal. I am not sure if mine are really by MINA because they look identical but don't have MINA etched on the tips. Plus mine came as one piece units but the last picture I saw of the MINA setup had weld on tips like you said.

Attached Thumbnails Welding required for mina exhaust-jaguar-s-type-r-mina-exhaust.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have installed what I was told is a MINA set of boxes. Yes the are a bolt on in place of the factory mufflers deal. I am not sure if mine are really by MINA because they look identical but don't have MINA etched on the tips. Plus mine came as one piece units but the last picture I saw of the MINA setup had weld on tips like you said.

That doesn't look like the current version of the mina setup. This begs the question, were there different versions??

Your pipes look smaller - the current mina exhaust doesnt have the flange to slip over the midpipe like the stock pipes do, the entire pipe to the muffler is that diameter. And the hangers are pre-welded. Did your have the big clamps that went all the way around the muffler that had the hanger on them?

The current mina exhaust also has 4" tips, yours appear to be a bit smaller (more like 3").

Take care,

George

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1

hmm look different than those on the website.

could it be for different car altogether? as far a know they only have 2 type for the Jaguar S-type.... regular and the STR.

did get those mufflers from the Mina Gallery?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks fellas, what about removing the resonators would welding some pipe in be required for that? I'm just concerned that you won't even be able to hear the regular mina mufflers. From the videos ive seen, it doesnt make that much of a difference..

Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Thanks fellas, what about removing the resonators would welding some pipe in be required for that? I'm just concerned that you won't even be able to hear the regular mina mufflers. From the videos ive seen, it doesnt make that much of a difference..
You do need to weld to remove the resonators, but it's easy, they are perfectly straight, any exhaust shop can do it. Tell them to leave a bit of pipe on them when they cut them out, so that you can reinstall them if you choose. I wouldn't if I were you though.

Listen to the car with the mina exhaust. If you want it louder then remove the resonators (Hint replace with a mangaflow X pipe, adds power), but it's gonna be LOUD with a free flow exhaust and no resonators.

Take care,

George

George

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
hahahaaah you want it loud?
i had a real loud beast earlier... but i revert back installing a mufflers on the STR.

i had mine without the muffler when i purchased them from a jaguar dealer... it had a stock resonator with 4" tail pipes... really nice looking and sound superb.. but unfortunately the Mrs... doesn't like it.. too loud.

i had a sound clip before i install the mufflers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8570NvlPM

let me know what you think..

Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

George:
I got the boxes on EBay and they were sold as Mina. But as I said before there are no markings of any kind on them. I measured the tips and the ID is 3.5" and the OD is 4". The pipe diameter is larger than the stock STR ones I removed. In fact I had to use a spacer in the expanded section so the clamp would fully tighten down. They came with very nice all stainless clamps you can see in the picture. Seems to be a higher grade of stainless steel than the factory exhaust system. The factory stuff did not stay shiny and got a bit cloudy/corroded on the surface. These have stayed shiny for the year or so they have been installed.

They must be for the STR because they fit very well. I did adjust how the tips fitted in the bumper cutout. They were slightly pointing "in" towards the center of the car. I bent them very slightly open trying to center them in the cutouts. It's pretty close but still just a bit out of center.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
George:
I got the boxes on EBay and they were sold as Mina. But as I said before there are no markings of any kind on them. I measured the tips and the ID is 3.5" and the OD is 4". The pipe diameter is larger than the stock STR ones I removed. In fact I had to use a spacer in the expanded section so the clamp would fully tighten down. They came with very nice all stainless clamps you can see in the picture. Seems to be a higher grade of stainless steel than the factory exhaust system. The factory stuff did not stay shiny and got a bit cloudy/corroded on the surface. These have stayed shiny for the year or so they have been installed.

They must be for the STR because they fit very well. I did adjust how the tips fitted in the bumper cutout. They were slightly pointing "in" towards the center of the car. I bent them very slightly open trying to center them in the cutouts. It's pretty close but still just a bit out of center.

Ok so tip size is correct for mina. Did you weld the tips on, or did they come welded?

The supposed difference between the S-Type and STR exhausts from mina is the size of the actual mufflers. Supposedly the STR one has larger mufflers (probably to quiet it down relative to the smaller displacement cars).

Are your clamps physically attached to the pipe, or are they separate.

George

Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

George;
They came complete, no welding at all, and the hanger is not visible but is also stainless and welded to the pipe. If you look at the end of the pipe where it is expanded out you can see the clamp. It is slightly movable but kind of spot welded in place so it can't be moved very much. These are MUCH smaller and lighter by at least 10-15 lbs per side compared to the stock STR mufflers.