S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well I might have made a mistake on the 00 S-Type...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default well I might have made a mistake on the 00 S-Type 4.0...

Alright so after having time to look over everything on the car, I haven't been able to really enjoy the car because I'm worried there are major problems not mentioned by the seller...

Minor things I've found so far:
Needs all four sway bar links replaced
Needs sway bar bushings for front and back
Needs shift cable adjusted, maybe the metal replacement for the cable connection as well
Needs new trans fluid

However that's no problem to do myself, why it's not done yet however is because of the big potential problem:

Might need a head gasket

I say "might" because I noticed some sticky black tar stuff in the coolant reservoir, doesn't smell like oil and it seperates between your fingers like gum and it's sticking to the reservoir walls( leak fix stuff maybe?). I did notice on cold start up when it revs higher than normal(starts at 1500 then settles to 700 after 15ish seconds) some white steam/smoke comes out for maybe 5-7 seconds then doesn't again until another cold start (over night).... I drained the coolant and filled it, and I've been checking it everyday on cold start and it seems to be down 1/8th an inch, it's also not over heating and no coolant in oil. Not sure if the system maybe getting air out of it still after the drain and fill.

The car has sat for quite a while and it only has 70k miles on it, and I'm kinda stuck with it.

I'm also not sure how to check if it is one of the nikisil engines or not.

If it is the head gasket, should I get a head gasket set and get it replaced or should I just get another 00-02 engine and drop it in?

I researched this car to death, out of all the problems it has, head gasket was not one I was expecting.....

Any help would be appreciated

Angrycanuck

Last edited by Angrycanuck; 05-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Angrycanuck
Alright so after having time to look over everything on the car, I haven't been able to really enjoy the car because I'm worried there are major problems not mentioned by the seller...

Minor things I've found so far:
Needs all four sway bar links replaced
Needs sway bar bushings for front and back
Needs shift cable adjusted, maybe the metal replacement for the cable connection as well
Needs new trans fluid

However that's no problem to do myself, why it's not done yet however is because of the big potential problem:

Might need a head gasket

I say "might" because I noticed some sticky black tar stuff in the coolant reservoir, doesn't smell like oil and it seperates between your fingers like gum and it's sticking to the reservoir walls( leak fix stuff maybe?). I did notice on cold start up when it revs higher than normal(starts at 1500 then settles to 700 after 15ish seconds) some white steam/smoke comes out for maybe 5-7 seconds then doesn't again until another cold start (over night).... I drained the coolant and filled it, and I've been checking it everyday on cold start and it seems to be down 1/8th an inch, it's also not over heating and no coolant in oil. Not sure if the system maybe getting air out of it still after the drain and fill.

The car has sat for quite a while and it only has 70k miles on it, and I'm kinda stuck with it.

I'm also not sure how to check if it is one of the nikisil engines or not.

If it is the head gasket, should I get a head gasket set and get it replaced or should I just get another 00-02 engine and drop it in?

I researched this car to death, out of all the problems it has, head gasket was not one I was expecting.....

Any help would be appreciated

Angrycanuck
Hate to say it but we warned you...

To recap:

Sway Bar bushings and links - front and back - $$$ + four wheel alignment - more $$

Why does the shift cable need adjusting? I only ask as it sounds like drive ability issues.

Trans fluid change - change filter also, specific procedure to change out fluid - not for your typical DIY (take to indy trans shop) - hopefully, your trans is not toast.

As far as the biggie - headgasket - it doesn't sound like it. Could have a coolant leak somewhere, even at the expansion tank.

Read up on the forum.

Nikisil issues? - I don't believe so.

If you do find your headgasket is the suspect - either getting the headgaskets replaced or even attempting to find a used engine ($2K and up - just for engine) will cost you big $$$

Good Luck...

Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
Hate to say it bat we warned you...

To recap:

Sway Bar bushings and links - front and back - $$$ + four wheel alignment - more $$

Why does the shift cable need adjusting? I only ask as it sounds like drive ability issues.

Trans fluid change - change filter also, specific procedure to change out fluid - not for your typical DIY (take to indy trans shop) - hopefully, your trans is not toast.

As far as the biggie - headgasket - it doesn't sound like it. Could have a coolant leak somewhere, even at the expansion tank.

Read up on the forum.

Nikisil issues? - I don't believe so.

If you do find your headgasket is the suspect - either getting the headgaskets replaced or even attempting to find a used engine ($2K and up - just for engine) will cost you big $$$

Good Luck...
Thanks, and tbh yup it was warned. So shame on me for that.

Your idea that it may not be head gasket made me somewhat less apprehensive, perhaps it is a leak else where than the engine, that'd be good.

I priced two rear links at 88 from rock auto, 2 front at 66, and definately will take the transmission to a proper shop.

The shifter doesn't always engage into park, and it can sometimes be difficult to shift out ( currently using handbrake to let car settle before putting it into park) so as per the other thread, either adjustment or cable replacement was recommended.

I will be taking off the valve covers to check the tensioners and replace gaskets.

Thanks for your suggestions man!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Seeing that this relates to an early S-type, it has the Ford 5R55N transmission, which doesn't require any special service or technician to service it/do the fluid change. Any decent shop should be able to tackle the trans service on your model year.

Sway bar links front and rear, not a huge issue, it is a common suspension wear item.

Consider doing a compression test if you fear headgasket issues.

Not to kick you while you're down, but purchasing a 99-02 S-type was a big mistake...

Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

There is a cheap coolant test you can run that will tell if the head gaskets are the problem or not.

I would get that test run before tearing anything apart. We don't see a lot of head gasket problems but if the engine was run hot it could warp something.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"I say "might" because I noticed some sticky black tar stuff in the coolant reservoir, doesn't smell like oil and it seperates between your fingers like gum and it's sticking to the reservoir walls( leak fix stuff maybe?). "

Why not flush the coolant and replace - its a cheap and simple way to see if you really have a problem. I am guessing that the last owner put in some of the "Radiator leak fix" gunk probably because you have a really small coolant leak somewhere in an effort to fix it. The 5-7 sec of white smoke doesn't sound like a head gasket. I am guessing you haven't seen coolant in your oil either.