Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet rear footwell, emphasis on the "well"

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Wet rear footwell, emphasis on the "well"

So this has happened twice now with the LR foot well becoming wet including the mat. The first time I figured I had some bottled water that got caught under the seat or something. But this time I know that there was nothing left in the car as it sat outside for 2 weeks.

Anyone else have this sort of issue?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Check the sunroof drains... very common - search the forum for detailed explanations on how to address...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,402 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Yep. Your left rear moonroof drain is clogged with debris. You'll need to drop the headliner on that side, reach up underneath to find where the drain hose plugs into its nozzle on the moonroof support, pull it off, and blow it out with compressed air. Blowing it clear takes less than ten seconds, but getting to it is the tough part....

Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Another possibility is a leaking rear door seal, water gathers between the door and sill and comes in there. Jag fixed this by removing the silver kick plate, drilling 2 holes, painting the holes and refitting the kick plate.

I don't know if they fixed this on the later models or not

Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Yep. Your left rear moonroof drain is clogged with debris. You'll need to drop the headliner on that side, reach up underneath to find where the drain hose plugs into its nozzle on the moonroof support, pull it off, and blow it out with compressed air. Blowing it clear takes less than ten seconds, but getting to it is the tough part....
How does this translate into water on the floor?

My sunroof has been opened very little in the last three years so naturally I'm a bit dubious.

I see no evidence of water staining anywhere above the floor but I'm all ears?
Door seal seems more likely to me.

OK I saw the other threads. So it's probably a loose or blocked hose at the bottom left rear of the interior then and not up at the actual moon roof. Otherwise I'd see evidence of water there instead?

Thanks guys.

I have a 23 year old Q45 with a sunroof that sits outside and it's never leaked a drop.
Maybe Jag needs to go back to sunroof school eh?
Add this one to the list annoying things about this car.

Last edited by Staatsof; 06-26-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Frequency of opening/closing the moonroof makes no difference regarding clogged drains. As the years go by, debris washes down the drain hoses and eventually clogs them. My 1989 Acura Legend had the same issue....

Just drop the headliner on that side, locate the drain hose at its moonroof attachment, pull it off, and blow it out with compressed air. I had to do our right rear hose last August/September. That fixed it. No more clogged moonroof drains since then....

Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually this happens with lots of cars, where the sunroof is opened (even rarely) & some "crapola" gets in the drainage tube. Water then comes into car instead of draining. Happened to my Acura. The good news is, it's a cheap & quick fix!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

I guess I'll have to see evidence of a leak before I drop the headliner.
I see none.

I repeat I see no evidence of water leaking anywhere near the sunroof.

So how is it getting to the floor?

Is it possible that the leak is at the bottom of the drain tube? Tube has come loose?

As for debris, dust perhaps that forms a mud? No leaves or stuff are getting in there.

The following users liked this post:
police666 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member

It's more than likely sunroof drain but might be worth checking it's not this.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,562 Likes on 3,966 Posts

Shouldn't be that as it's for quite early VINs.

Worth a check for a bad door seal, though.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Staatsof,

You are stubbornly delaying the inevitable. Take it from those of us who've had to deal with this problem. You typically do not see any evidence of the leak on the headliner or down the pillars. Water just shows up in the floorboard and soaks the carpet....

Any car parked outside eventually accumulates debris down the moonroof drains. Wind blows debris, debris runs down the drain hoses in the rain and whenever the car is washed, etc. Over the years, it builds up....

Go ahead and continue to be stubborn about it. In the meantime, keep your car out of the rain. You'll just keep flooding your floorboard until you get smart and fix it....

Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Jon, the trouble is that all I get from your posts is "just do it".

Perhaps some photos of the evidence would help out here.

Where does the drain hose route down?

I don't believe the leak is at the sunroof or it's drain point in the ceiling because nothing is wet or stained there.

So how am I wrong about this?

I am willing to believe that it's actually leaking at another lower point and that the water is running behind an interior panel and then puddling in the foot well.

Because removing the headliner and trim is not that trivial, at least it doesn't seem like it to me, then before I commit to that I'd like to be more certain. That's all.

What and where the leak is not at all clear to me.

We did have a huge storm while I was away and the car was outside. This reminds of another car leak I had parked in the same exact spot.

My neighbor's gutter plugged and his front roof gutter poured on the side window of that car. The drain holes in the door had become blocked over 30 years, way longer than this car, and the door filled up with water until it spilled over the door sill and flooded the FR foot well. Opposite side from this situation though.

So I do know how these things can happen.

I just need a bit more sensible evidence before tearing the car apart.

Originally Posted by Jon89
Staatsof,

You are stubbornly delaying the inevitable. Take it from those of us who've had to deal with this problem. You typically do not see any evidence of the leak on the headliner or down the pillars. Water just shows up in the floorboard and soaks the carpet....

Any car parked outside eventually accumulates debris down the moonroof drains. Wind blows debris, debris runs down the drain hoses in the rain and whenever the car is washed, etc. Over the years, it builds up....

Go ahead and continue to be stubborn about it. In the meantime, keep your car out of the rain. You'll just keep flooding your floorboard until you get smart and fix it....

Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not going to argue with you, nor am I going to attempt to convince you any further. I had your exact same symptoms last summer, except it was my right rear floorboard vs. your left rear floorboard. I know your problem is your left rear moonroof drain being clogged. I also know that once you pull the drain hose and blow it out from the top, your problem will magically be solved....

Good luck to you. In the meantime, keep your car out of the rain unless you want a fish pond back there....

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Jon89 I don't doubt you for a second, lots and lots of threads about it, I'm just curious as to where the water enters and how it makes its way from the roof to the floor with no dampness anywhere else.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by police666
Jon89 I don't doubt you for a second, lots and lots of threads about it, I'm just curious as to where the water enters and how it makes its way from the roof to the floor with no dampness anywhere else.
I believe he observed dampness from his. I have not. But ... it's possible that by the time I noticed the damp floor it had all dried up on the headliner. Still, I would expect to see some sort of evidence of water staining and I don't. That's what's got me puzzled.

I believe the rearmost drain (my JTIS app is not working at the moment) is at the very rear of the sunroof retention tray and that is almost at the rear pillar. So if it's overflowing there then perhaps something else under that roof liner is funneling the water to the left and rear a bit and it's running down that way without showing water on the headliner? I'm just guessing though

Some help on these points instead of admonishing about being stubborn would be quite useful.

Still love you Jon. I guess I just pissed you off a bit.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder about a very slender snake with a round tip inserted from the wheel well drain to break up the plug a bit then some water from above?

I worry too about a blast of air from below. Plus just blowing it back up probably means it comes back down.

All of this reminds me way too much of my kidney stone procedure.

Unfortunately all they can do is insert a laser up your wing **** and blast the stone then leave a stent inserted so it doesn't plug back up.

OWWWEEE.

Old men talk about their operations too much

Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I wonder about a very slender snake with a round tip inserted from the wheel well drain to break up the plug a bit then some water from above?

I worry too about a blast of air from below. Plus just blowing it back up probably means it comes back down.

All of this reminds me way too much of my kidney stone procedure.

Unfortunately all they can do is insert a laser up your wing **** and blast the stone then leave a stent inserted so it doesn't plug back up.

OWWWEEE.

Old men talk about their operations too much
You might be better off taking that snake and feeding it from the sunroof drain up top and down... just a thought...

Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member

Can you get at it from the top? I think it's very near the rear? My car is not abailable right now so I can't check. It's not clear to me that if there's a plug that's at the top or somewhere much farther down.

I think Jon mentioned that a bunch of water came out of the tube once it was cleared so I took that as meaning it was closer towards the exit point????

Last edited by Staatsof; 06-28-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Honestly, I don't know.

Common practice is to remove the hose from the sunroof (of course loosening the headliner) and blowing compressed air through.

But if you had a strong LED light and a long snake - it is possible I guess. (You would have to remove the sunroof glass to gain access to the back of the sunroof assembly - not too hard to do - pull track guides off and loosen 4 bolts)