S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this “accessory connector” for and should I have it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023 | 10:56 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default What is this “accessory connector” for and should I have it?

On my 06 STR I was looking inside the primary fuse block which is under the glove box and I noticed that there is no relay installed in the R1position. It looks like the terminals that feed our one I installed in the fuse block so that normally means the associated harness is also installed

looking in the electrical manual I found the R1 relay in the primary junction fuse box is described as a “cigar lighter/ power point relay” on one page but then as an “accessory connector” that is supposed to be located by the rear electronic control module.

but the rear electronics module is located on the backside of the mounting plate in the trunk right side. Certainly not someplace you would want a cigar lighter or a power point connector.

I know my cigar lighter in the ashtray is functional.

is this for the spare cigarette lighter looking connector inside the consul between the front seats? I think maybe I took that relay out because I had change falling into it and shorting it out but I can’t recall.

So what is this R1 for And where is the port located? And what is the accessory connector that they’re talking about?

should I have an accessory connector back by the rear electronics module in the trunk and if so what the hell is it used for?

Old 07-19-2023 | 06:56 AM

This is indeed for a cigar lighter/power point in the boot/trunk. It was an optional additional cost extra.

See this link:

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...owerSocket.pdf

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 07-19-2023 at 06:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by M-e-l-l-o-w:
Aarcuda (07-19-2023), kr98664 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023 | 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Aarcuda, wonderful! You have a 2006 STR! I am looking for one. Must be a dream. But I assume you are located in the US, not Australia...

Anyway, I think this might help you:
https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...aign=referrals
So either your STR has already an accessory power connector in the boot, or there is a kit available to install the very same in your boot (trunk).
If you ask for the purpose: Well, I for one had various ideas, what to do with a power connector in a car - a cigar lighter is NOT one of those uses, as I am a non-smoker.
But then again: Maybe its "a thing" with the mafia to have a cigar lighter in the boot, so that their victim in the boot (with the feet already cast in a concrete block) can smoke one last ***.
The power socket uses in the boot I can think of are e.g.: Power point for an electrically powered esky (that is Australian for cool-box) or simply a power point from where to continue a power lead to the trailer.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023 | 10:53 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w
This is indeed for a cigar lighter/power point in the boot/trunk. It was an optional additional cost extra.

See this link:

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...owerSocket.pdf
Well well well! So you are correct!! Now I have to go out and see if I have that connector behind that plate. Thanks for the link! That had all the information didn’t it?
Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Aarcuda, wonderful! You have a 2006 STR! I am looking for one. Must be a dream. But I assume you are located in the US, not Australia...

Anyway, I think this might help you:
https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...aign=referrals
So either your STR has already an accessory power connector in the boot, or there is a kit available to install the very same in your boot (trunk).
If you ask for the purpose: Well, I for one had various ideas, what to do with a power connector in a car - a cigar lighter is NOT one of those uses, as I am a non-smoker.
But then again: Maybe its "a thing" with the mafia to have a cigar lighter in the boot, so that their victim in the boot (with the feet already cast in a concrete block) can smoke one last ***.
The power socket uses in the boot I can think of are e.g.: Power point for an electrically powered esky (that is Australian for cool-box) or simply a power point from where to continue a power lead to the trailer.
It’s funny you said that about the mafia because that’s the first thing I thought of. But more along the lines of a James Bond kidnapping where they throw the body in the trunk scenario.

but yes I have an 06. And I love it!! They are very many around so good luck finding one. I was lucky to come across mine as it belonged to a friend. She was driving it for a while but then parked it probably bc of the dreaded coolant hose under the supercharger leaked and she was quote $1700 to repair. So she parked the car. One day she asked me if I “wanted it”! As soon as I saw what it was I said “HELL YEAH!”

when I asked how much she said “you can just have it”. Omg what a deal! What a great friend! What a great car! And it’s a southern California car so it’s totally rest free and its in great shape!

S-Type Owner (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023 | 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Aarcuda,

> They are very many around so good luck finding one.
As I do not know, what the STR situation in the US is, I have to ask, if you forgot the word "not" in your statement above...? Did you want to write:
There are not very many around - so good luck finding one.
I am asking just out of interest, as I know, how slim my chances are here in Australia: 70 STRs were imported in total - somebody here on the forum told me and then I found an article on the net stating the same. I also found the information that the STRs were all produced AFTER the first facelift, i.e. after X202, which is really good to know as this means less trouble and a 6 speed trans. And after X204 there is the added bonus of aluminium bonnet (hood) and boot-lid (trunk-lid).

And judging by your picture above you live in one of those US states, where a frt, number plate is not required... - you could fit there a nice big chrome Jaguar instead.

Old 07-21-2023 | 08:53 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Hi Aarcuda,

> They are very many around so good luck finding one.
As I do not know, what the STR situation in the US is, I have to ask, if you forgot the word "not" in your statement above...? Did you want to write:
There are not very many around - so good luck finding one.
I am asking just out of interest, as I know, how slim my chances are here in Australia: 70 STRs were imported in total - somebody here on the forum told me and then I found an article on the net stating the same. I also found the information that the STRs were all produced AFTER the first facelift, i.e. after X202, which is really good to know as this means less trouble and a 6 speed trans. And after X204 there is the added bonus of aluminium bonnet (hood) and boot-lid (trunk-lid).

And judging by your picture above you live in one of those US states, where a frt, number plate is not required... - you could fit there a nice big chrome Jaguar instead.
Yes I did forget the word “not”

I can’t tell you how many times that has gotten me in hot water with a girlfriend when I was texting her and left out the word “not”

And the funny thing is I do it a lot. I’m always having to explain why I meant to say the opposite of what I said. Never goes well

waxrola (09-02-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, it does not not not make it easy, if your forget the word not...

Aarcuda (07-21-2023)