S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm no electro guy, but to me it must be some kind of timer. You can push the button right back in and heat them up again without waiting. If it was a temp switch that wouldn't happen?

Maybe that's too simple.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
How about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?
that would require a flux capacitor and they are on backorder ever since that stupid series of movies came out...

Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OWWW.. You guys are making my brain hurt...

George..Let me know when you have a kit for sale.. Hopefully soon.. We are about to move into the "colder than a witches t*t" part of our lovely winter.. When I start it in the garage and the temp reading is 15....Uggg... Yes it does get that cold...Have seen bottles of Windex frozen on the workbench in there..And the darn thing is attached to the house...BRRRRRRRRR

Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
OWWW.. You guys are making my brain hurt...

George..Let me know when you have a kit for sale.. Hopefully soon.. We are about to move into the "colder than a witches t*t" part of our lovely winter.. When I start it in the garage and the temp reading is 15....Uggg... Yes it does get that cold...Have seen bottles of Windex frozen on the workbench in there..And the darn thing is attached to the house...BRRRRRRRRR
I'm with you on that one, we're just about as cold, and my attached garage isn't much better. I'm going to pick up a kerosene heater for it, we had a discussion about this in off topic.

Let me experiment and see what I can come up with. I don't know how intuitive the install will be.

Anyone feel like taping down or standing on their heated seat button past the 10 min mark and seeing if it stays on? That would at least get that out of the way.

EDIT: If this does work as I envision, the seat will shut off 10 mins after you press the button again, OR when you kill the ignition.

George

Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Just to let you know.... The dual sized one was fitted from 2005 and up...

LOL, my dealer just "tossed" me the symmetrical one shortly after I got my S.. I had no idea they were worth that much.. So, yes they are interchangeable since I have both versions..And no, I'm not giving up the one that came with my car... LOL..
Is there a part number on there we can use?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
What he said

Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
How about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?
Nah, add gull wing doors and humongous FLUX Capacitor ...

Ooopps, I now see that George beat me to it.

Last edited by Staatsof; 01-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Nah, add gull wing doors and humongous FLUX Capacitor ...
Please tell me you saw my reply and we just didn't think alike on that one. You forgot the underpowered volvo V6 LOL. But at this point Volvo / Jag / Ford.. meh all the same

George

Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Ordered it from Nalley just now. Maybe I can get $20 for the old one on E-bay.

Last edited by Pushing_Tin; 01-05-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Ordered it from Nalley just now. Maybe I can get $20 for the old one on E-bay.
$15 or so seems to be about the going rate... Let me know if you want to get rid of it. I've been thinking about a custom Iphone dock connector in the bottom of one of mine. All it would do would raise the cupholder about 1/4 of an inch with a coffee or something in it. But would let the iphone charge while it sat in the cupholder

It will work especially well when I do my Motorola Bluetooth kit, with stereo bluetooth support .

Btw - Did you get a part #

Let me know,

George

Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Now that I'm home from work and settled... Yes it is 8:45pm here.

Here's the part #'s for the two different cupholders....

Equal Sized cups - XR837767

Large / Small Cups - XR850883

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails What annoys you most about your S-Type??-cupholders.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Please tell me you saw my reply and we just didn't think alike on that one. You forgot the underpowered volvo V6 LOL. But at this point Volvo / Jag / Ford.. meh all the same

George
I'm afraid I saw your post afterwards and then added the edit. It's a pretty logical joke so it's not surprising that more than one person thought of it. Three in fact ...

Last edited by Staatsof; 01-06-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid I saw your post afterwards and then added the edit. It's a pretty logical joke so it's not surprising that more than one pwerson thought of it. Three in fact ...
Oh I didn't mean it in a negative way.. I just thought it was hillarious that we both immediately thought of that almost simultaneously.

Anyway when I have time (read: this weekend), I want to confirm that simply keeping the button constantly pressed will keep the seats on beyond the 10 min timer. After that I think I have it figured out.

George

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if it is left on for a longer period of time perhaps it will fail much sooner?

When I drove the new XJ and XF this summer I really liked the seats with AC in them. But ... after a while it does get to be a lot of equipment on a car. Crap that breaks and is a fortune to repair.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

Anyway when I have time (read: this weekend), I want to confirm that simply keeping the button constantly pressed will keep the seats on beyond the 10 min timer. After that I think I have it figured out.

George
I'll "rig" mine this morning on the way to work and post the results later....

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Weird. I live in one of the coldest places in North America and I can`t have my seats on longer than a few minutes. They get warm quick.

I didn`t even know that they turn off automatically. Cool.

My Audi had seat warmers that didn`t get as hot as the Jag. I put a remote starter in that car, wired a solenoid to the starter that would turn on the heat warmers when the car was started (had a switch to turn the feature off in the summer) so that my tush was warm when I got into the vehicle.

Maybe that`s something you guys want to do?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if it is left on for a longer period of time perhaps it will fail much sooner?

When I drove the new XJ and XF this summer I really liked the seats with AC in them. But ... after a while it does get to be a lot of equipment on a car. Crap that breaks and is a fortune to repair.
Well are we really wearing them more than just hitting the button on them once they auto off? Sure everything wears with use, but I don't think its unreasonable to keep them on for your journey when it's cold. It's not like I'm going to wire them up so that they stay on 24/7.

What's the point of having the feature if the functionality they implemented makes it all but useless?

George

Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Cup Holder Conundrum

Be careful what you ask for.....the reason for the 2 cup design was to allow for extra large cup bases. When you opt for the equal sized cup holders, you lose the option of a extra large cup. There is only so much room so there is a trade off. If you like 7/11 super gulps, you best leave well enough alone.....
Aloha all, stay warm! By the way, who needs seat heaters anyway????

Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HIJaged
Be careful what you ask for.....the reason for the 2 cup design was to allow for extra large cup bases. When you opt for the equal sized cup holders, you lose the option of a extra large cup. There is only so much room so there is a trade off. If you like 7/11 super gulps, you best leave well enough alone.....
Aloha all, stay warm! By the way, who needs seat heaters anyway????
Most of us are trying to do the opposite. Us with the older cars have the equal size ones, and WANT the 2 cup sizes, so we can use larger drinks. A stupid 20oz soda bottle doesn't even fit into the equal cup one.

George

Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

George
So, I put a paper wedge in the button to keep it pressed in.. Actually made a quick stop with the car as well..

So, turned on the heated seat and wedged the button in. Less than 10 min into the drive stopped for gas.. Shut the car off, filled up, when I restarted the car the seat did not turn back on eventhough the button was still wedged on..

Reset the seat heater switch and wedged it on again as I drove to work.

The seat still timed out and turned off at about the same point it always does...

I also noticed something.. I didn't notice the seat getting all that hot..After it timed out I pulled the wedge out and turned the seats back on and they felt like they got hotter for a bit then backed off. I notice that they have always worked like that.

Anyway, hope that helps ya George..

The following users liked this post:
androulakis (01-06-2011)

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??