S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
So, I put a paper wedge in the button to keep it pressed in.. Actually made a quick stop with the car as well..

So, turned on the heated seat and wedged the button in. Less than 10 min into the drive stopped for gas.. Shut the car off, filled up, when I restarted the car the seat did not turn back on eventhough the button was still wedged on..

Reset the seat heater switch and wedged it on again as I drove to work.

The seat still timed out and turned off at about the same point it always does...

I also noticed something.. I didn't notice the seat getting all that hot..After it timed out I pulled the wedge out and turned the seats back on and they felt like they got hotter for a bit then backed off. I notice that they have always worked like that.

Anyway, hope that helps ya George..
Thanks!

Well it's informative, but it means the seat heater issue needs a new plan of attack. The heated seat module treats its input as discrete, and it sets the timer accordingly, and basically ignores the signal after that, unless it's disconnected, at which point it responds by dropping down to low or off.. Basically each pulse is discrete, regardless of pulse length.

Back to the drawing board... I really dont want to power the seats directly and bypass the module, because that might cause the issue of burning out the heat elements.

My seats are the same, first run they barely get hot. Second run they get comfortable then fade out - this might be a function of that temp sensor. And this is also part of the source with my frustration with them. The first run is almost worthless. And half the time to be honest I forget about turning them back on.

More to come...

George

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Thanks!

More to come...

George
Look forward to it.. Maybe we can swipe the system they use in the LR2??

Man those work nice.. Heated up my fat American @ss so well the loaner smelt like bacon when I turned it in.....

Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Most of us are trying to do the opposite. Us with the older cars have the equal size ones, and WANT the 2 cup sizes, so we can use larger drinks. A stupid 20oz soda bottle doesn't even fit into the equal cup one.

George

Exactly. I can't fit anything in those as they are. But wow are those expensive! I guess "only" $78 from Nalley is a pretty good deal!

Last edited by Pushing_Tin; 01-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Look forward to it.. Maybe we can swipe the system they use in the LR2??

Man those work nice.. Heated up my fat American @ss so well the loaner smelt like bacon when I turned it in.....
LOL...

Not without taking the seats apart, and putting new heating elements in them. I reupholstered my 500SL myself and got that was a chore. Not looking forward to THAT again...

Maybe it's time to design a replacement control module

George

Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Well are we really wearing them more than just hitting the button on them once they auto off? Sure everything wears with use, but I don't think its unreasonable to keep them on for your journey when it's cold. It's not like I'm going to wire them up so that they stay on 24/7.

What's the point of having the feature if the functionality they implemented makes it all but useless?

George
No, what I meant is that if the heater is on for more than x minutes at a time it might fail. Not a wear but failure issue because it's a cheap POS. I can't understand any other reason to have it automatically turn off after just 10 minutes.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
No, what I meant is that if the heater is on for more than x minutes at a time it might fail. Not a wear but failure issue because it's a cheap POS. I can't understand any other reason to have it automatically turn off after just 10 minutes.
You know, I doubt it... I've repeatedly turned my on again and again, on some longer drives, and they didn't cut out or refuse to come back on. (And there is a temp sensor), and they still work!

My money is on some retarded recommendation of some product liability attorney. I remember my shirt riding up in the back in an audi a4 and me jumping from how hot the seat was on my bare skin. But that car had awesome heated seats. This country is so full of lawyers looking to make a buck, that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the main consideration. Hell, a cup of hot coffee comes with a warning on the cup now that "Warning contents may be hot". Guess they needed to put that on there for the people who had no idea what coffee was but just decided to order it one day because everyone else was doing it. (Insert eye roll here).

I'd be willing to sacrifice the passenger seat in an attempt to try to figure it out, if it came down to it. I'm sure it needs some sort of resistor to limit current, but that can be measured with the existing seat module.

George

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well at least Jaguar listened. The seats in my wifes 09 XF will blister your bottom in a hurry. It has 3 levels of heat that do not time out and ranks up there with some of the best I have experienced.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

hmm, the seats probably fit in the S-Type

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
hmm, the seats probably fit in the S-Type
That was the FIRST thing i thought of when I read this...

The chassis is theoretically the same... Now where does one find XF seats out of a wreck, and how much electronic interfacing is needed.

Anyone have an Electrical guide for an XF????

George

Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

They're on TOPIx (was GTR) as PDFs. (I didn't get any of the seat stuff.)

Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Why not wait a few years and do the C O M P L E T E upgrade to the 510HP version?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

They're on TOPIx (was GTR) as PDFs. (I didn't get any of the seat stuff.)
happen to have a link sir?

George

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Why not wait a few years and do the C O M P L E T E upgrade to the 510HP version?
Bob,

We've discussed this at least briefly. I really do not care for the external styling of the XF, or the new XJ for that matter.

I was almost decided on an STR as a daily driver replacement, but then my best friend the physician had to let me drive his CL55 AMG. So now I'm torn. Exterior styling I like both, with a slight preference going to the STR. Performance wise the CL55 walks all over the STR.
Cost wise, a CL55 will be more, in some cases 50% more, but I also suspect it will hold it's resale value better. Maintenance wise, I think MB (at least AMG Exclusive) parts are more, but those cars seem rock solid. Seems like all people ever do is tires / brakes / fluids. No self destructing cooling systems, no $10 hoses that fail requiring $2000 in labor to replace.

But they also have a bit more of an industrial feel typical of most german cars. The STR has more character / personality. The MB is just there. It's ridiculously fast for a street car, yet it doesn't FEEL that fast, too quiet, too heavy if you know what I mean.

Take care,

George

Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

TOPIx (was GTR) - where the handbooks are (forum sticky) but follow link top right View Technical Information.

It's moved but the above way still gets you there. Currently at http://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/i18n/index

Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

I guess it's all matter of what you feel you need. I absolutely don't need anything more powerful than the stock STR. I can't even really "DRIVE" it as it is in NJ. I think I'd double check the AMG record for service & maintenance issues. I have a long time friend who's a huge MB fan. He had a Gullwing when hes was a much younger man. He bought it new. He's purposefully stayed away from the AMG cars. He does like to drive fast too. No question that it is stupid fast. They are kind of common around where I live though.

At least go drive the STR first. But if you can get a MB AMG with 4WD that does make a lot more sense for a daily driver.

Actually none of this makes any sense for a daily driver ...
Bob,

We've discussed this at least briefly. I really do not care for the external styling of the XF, or the new XJ for that matter.

I was almost decided on an STR as a daily driver replacement, but then my best friend the physician had to let me drive his CL55 AMG. So now I'm torn. Exterior styling I like both, with a slight preference going to the STR. Performance wise the CL55 walks all over the STR.
Cost wise, a CL55 will be more, in some cases 50% more, but I also suspect it will hold it's resale value better. Maintenance wise, I think MB (at least AMG Exclusive) parts are more, but those cars seem rock solid. Seems like all people ever do is tires / brakes / fluids. No self destructing cooling systems, no $10 hoses that fail requiring $2000 in labor to replace.

But they also have a bit more of an industrial feel typical of most german cars. The STR has more character / personality. The MB is just there. It's ridiculously fast for a street car, yet it doesn't FEEL that fast, too quiet, too heavy if you know what I mean.

Take care,

George

Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

TOPIx (was GTR) - where the handbooks are (forum sticky) but follow link top right View Technical Information.

It's moved but the above way still gets you there. Currently at http://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/i18n/index
I signed up, but it wants a paid subscription for access to any documents...

GTR was free for a year or something, if I remember correctly.

George

Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

I guess it's all matter of what you feel you need. I absolutely don't need anything more powerful than the stock STR. I can't even really "DRIVE" it as it is in NJ. I think I'd double check the AMG record for service & maintenance issues. I have a long time friend who's a huge MB fan. He had a Gullwing when hes was a much younger man. He bought it new. He's purposefully stayed away from the AMG cars. He does like to drive fast too. No question that it is stupid fast. They are kind of common around where I live though.

At least go drive the STR first. But if you can get a MB AMG with 4WD that does make a lot more sense for a daily driver.

Actually none of this makes any sense for a daily driver ...
I dont think there are any 4matic AMG Cars... 600 or so HP and 700+ ft lbs and their awd system probably don't play nice together. I will definitely drive the STR. I like my S-Type, and the bang for the buck factor is undenyable.

You're right AMG cars are common here, but what isn't?? I see at least a Bentley a day, I'm sure you do too, and when it's warm out P-Cars are as common as 3 series bmw's. They don't even stand out...

However the CL is a little more unique because of the limited production of the full size 2 door coupe. Either way, I'm not looking at it for the purposes of acquiring exclusivity, just a fun daily driver with a set of stones...

George

Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

It's a lot cheaper than the XF seats are gonna be

Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

My two issues right now are the whining differential and the cracking dashes. Poor engineering.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
My two issues right now are the whining differential and the cracking dashes. Poor engineering.
I agree with cracking dash parts. I recently stated elsewhere that the plastic in my vents broke when "I very carefully removed them". Such Brittle plastic! My trim plate between the windshield and the dash has broken into 2 pieces as well.

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??