S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

The diffs are generally considered solid until the bad batch much later in production than yours, from what I've read. (Dashes seem OK over here but it's cooler.)

Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

America tends to be a harsh climate for cars.

Our winters in the north are hard and the prominent use of salt leads to rust issues. In the south and moreso southwest cars suffer from sun damage due to constant exposure to dry heat and sun. I had a friend of mine leave NJ for the University of Las Vegas with a bright red Mustang.

Four years later it came back, and it was this pinkish sun faded color you wouldn't recognize, and the dash panels had started to warp and separate.

The southeast is probably the best overall climate for cars, not cold enough to freeze consistently, and they don't get snow / salt on a regular basis. Yet the sun isn't brutal enough to damage the finish and it's humid enough that all the rubber / plastics don't dry out and crack and fail.

Take care,

George

Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
The diffs are generally considered solid until the bad batch much later in production than yours, from what I've read. (Dashes seem OK over here but it's cooler.)
Oh it seems to work just fine, but why make a car so luxurious and quiet if all you're going to hear is an incessant whine at highway speed?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Oh it seems to work just fine, but why make a car so luxurious and quiet if all you're going to hear is an incessant whine at highway speed?
Yours is the only one I know that does it, so I reckon it's faulty.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

That differential whine is not normal... IT was actually the subject of a recall or at least a TSB if I remember correctly.

Take care,

George

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Yours is the only one I know that does it, so I reckon it's faulty.
Nope, there's a TSB JTB00053 version 2

I talked to Jaguar and they said that the diff is $1700 plus a few other parts. They said that it really doesn't help much though, so I'll just live with it for now or until it explodes one day.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, there's a TSB JTB00053 version 2

I talked to Jaguar and they said that the diff is $1700 plus a few other parts. They said that it really doesn't help much though, so I'll just live with it for now or until it explodes one day.
Have you considered a change to a fully synthetic gear lube such as a royal purple or something. I've heard it can help. It's a shame this wasn't addressed while the car was under warranty, but maybe the symptoms presented themselves later.

Take care,

George

Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Have you considered a change to a fully synthetic gear lube such as a royal purple or something. I've heard it can help. It's a shame this wasn't addressed while the car was under warranty, but maybe the symptoms presented themselves later.

Take care,

George

I did change it Amsoil, I really couldn't tell any difference in noise aftewards. The car was a lease and then went through a couple owners, none of them seemed to really take care of the car. The supercharger was replaced under warranty and they did not even change the belt at that time.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Not exactly a common one but it's a fault as the TSB effectively shows.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

That differential whine is not normal... IT was actually the subject of a recall or at least a TSB if I remember correctly.

Take care,

George
On my '08 4.2, the differential was replaced under warranty at 12,000 or so miles. It was classic differential whine - could play it with the gas pedal like a musical instrument: on/off, on/off. Brought it in, complained, they listened for a couple of minutes, and immediately ordered a replacement diff. At 30,000+ miles now, still as quiet as a church mouse.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

I did change it Amsoil, I really couldn't tell any difference in noise aftewards. The car was a lease and then went through a couple owners, none of them seemed to really take care of the car. The supercharger was replaced under warranty and they did not even change the belt at that time.
I suppose it's live with it till it blows up (which I doubt it will), or drop coin to change it out - You can prob get a Lincoln LS for half that jaguar $$ and it's all the same.

It's another thing I have to add to my list of things to check whilst shopping for an STR. It's a shame that cars are treated this way, but I really think most of these cars (especially the ones that were leased) didn't end up in the hands of enthusiasts.

The dealer was either a real stickler for the rules in not replacing the S/C belt (and not offering it to the customer) OR the previous owner didn't want to spend one dime out of pocket (to cover the cost of the belt) because he knew he was going to get rid of the car.

Do you have ANY idea what happened with the S/C and why it failed?

George

Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM

I suppose it's live with it till it blows up (which I doubt it will), or drop coin to change it out - You can prob get a Lincoln LS for half that jaguar $$ and it's all the same.

It's another thing I have to add to my list of things to check whilst shopping for an STR. It's a shame that cars are treated this way, but I really think most of these cars (especially the ones that were leased) didn't end up in the hands of enthusiasts.

The dealer was either a real stickler for the rules in not replacing the S/C belt (and not offering it to the customer) OR the previous owner didn't want to spend one dime out of pocket (to cover the cost of the belt) because he knew he was going to get rid of the car.

Do you have ANY idea what happened with the S/C and why it failed?

George
*edit* The LS diff is an exact replacement?

Well the car I bought was a trade from a local guy here in Eugene, who also happened to be a member of this board! I was able to sort through some of his posts and figure out what happened. We have no Jag dealer here so he had the service done at the local Jag specialty shop. He did have an extended warranty that replaced the S/C but apparently ONLY the S/C, no other parts and the previous owner did not bother to pay for the huge expense of a belt while it was apart. I did send the previous owner a PM here, but never heard back, looks like the last logon was in May of 2010. He traded the STR in for a Jeep Cherokee or something in August. I bought the car at the beginning of November.

Anyway here's the thread he started.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20806

Last edited by Pushing_Tin; 01-09-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by SCMike
On my '08 4.2, the differential was replaced under warranty at 12,000 or so miles. It was classic differential whine - could play it with the gas pedal like a musical instrument: on/off, on/off. Brought it in, complained, they listened for a couple of minutes, and immediately ordered a replacement diff. At 30,000+ miles now, still as quiet as a church mouse.

That's what mine sounds like. I'd love to replace it but want to be sure it would stop the noise. I don't want to spend $2k and only reduce the noise a little bit.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i hate the sloppy transmission shifts. I'm used to the quick precising shifting the auto vettes have. Damn thing falls flat on its face before selecting the next gear..

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

That's what mine sounds like. I'd love to replace it but want to be sure it would stop the noise. I don't want to spend $2k and only reduce the noise a little bit.
Drive one without the fault.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08Z06
i hate the sloppy transmission shifts. I'm used to the quick precising shifting the auto vettes have. Damn thing falls flat on its face before selecting the next gear..
Sounds like it's faulty. What have you done to check it's not?

You can help yourself by putting your car details in your profile.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

My two issues right now are the whining differential and the cracking dashes. Poor engineering.
This is from another message from Rick on the differential whine.

Hey guys I just read a TSB on alldata that states "Install new axle housing bushing OR new axle assembly as required" It seems that the "old" bushing is colored silver (C2C1780) and the "new" bushing is black (C2C16377). Looks like about 2.5 hours to replace. Also states break in period of 5oo miles or so.

Rick
The cost of the differential as a unit is about $3000 or so. I had mine replaced under warranty. Since yours is out of warranty this might be an option to consider.

Mike

'05 S-Type
3.0L, 57,132k

Sometimes you're the snowflake, sometimes you're the windshield!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Drive one without the fault.
LOL, and how would I do that?

Originally Posted by carelm

The cost of the differential as a unit is about $3000 or so. I had mine replaced under warranty. Since yours is out of warranty this might be an option to consider.
I can get one from Gaudin for $1700, not sure what the labor will be.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

LOL, and how would I do that?
Are there no other 2003+ S-Types anywhere nearish you could test drive? Maybe a member on here even?
It wouldn't need to be an STR, surely.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm

Mike

Drivetrain - Whine From Rear of Vehicle NUMBER
ST205-003
*(Issue 2)*
DATE
23 Oct 2006
MODEL
S-TYPE
ISSUE '2' CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH GREY BACKGROUND AND ASTERISKS
SECTION:
205-00 - DRIVELINE SYSTEM
Whine from Rear of Vehicle
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
S-TYPE
VIN:
M45255 onwards
Model Year:
2003 onwards
CONDITION SUMMARY:
WHINE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE AT 60 MPH (96 KPH)
Situation:
A customer may report a concern of a 'whine' noise coming from the rear of the vehicle at 60 mph (96 km/h). A harmonic frequency generated by the rear differential (axle) may be the cause.
*Two conditions may contribute to the whine noise:
^An early design level differential with an early design level bushing.
^A updated design level differential with an early design level bushing.
NOTE :New differentials require some drive time to break-in. After installing a new differential, the vehicle may need to be driven approximately 500 miles (800 km) before a reduction in noise level may be noticed.*
Action:
Should a customer concern be verified, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to determine if a new axle housing bushing or a new differential (axle) assembly is required to complete the necessary service fix.
PARTS:
NOTE :The number stamped on an early and a new axle housing bushing will be the same. To differentiate the bushings, the steel carrier of the new bushing (C2C16377) is black, while the steel carrier of the early bushing (C2C1780) is silver.
C2C16377..........Differential isolator, front lower (new "black" axle housing bushing) Qty 1
Use to update the following differential (axle) assemblies:
^XR853840 - Differential assembly - V6 automatic transmission^XR853839 - Differential assembly - V6 manual transmission^XR853838 - Differential assembly - V8 Naturally Aspirated & Supercharged
*NOTE :The following differential assemblies include the new "black" axle housing bushing. A new bushing (C2C16377) does not need to be installed when replacing a differential with one of these later differential assemblies:
^XR856056 --> XR856869 - Differential assembly - V6 automatic transmission
^XR856055 --> XR856868 - Differential assembly - V6 manual transmission
^XR856054 --> XR856867 - Differential assembly - V8 NA & SC*

WARRANTY:
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
INSTALL NEW BUSHING OR NEW AXLE ASSEMBLY AS REQUIRED
1.Refer to DDW and the new PARTS listed in this bulletin to determine if the vehicle has previously had a new design level differential (axle) assembly or a new rear axle housing bushing installed.
*NOTE</B> :After installing a new differential, the noise may not immediately improve. A new differential needs to be driven approximately 500 miles (800 km) before a reduction in noise level may be noticed.*
NOTE</B> :Global Technical Reference (GTR) lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ X200 - S-Type/2003 on > Workshop Manuals > Bookmark "Chassis/Driveline/205-02: Rear Drive Axle/Differential/Removal and Installation" > Link "Axle Assembly (51.25.13)" or "Axle Housing Bushing (64.25.30)"
*2.If the vehicle has had a new design level differential installed (XR853840, XR853839 or XR853838), but has not had a new rear axle housing bushing (C2C16377) installed to that differential, perform the following:*
^Refer to GTR section 205-02 - Axle Assembly operation 51.25.13 and remove the existing differential axle assembly.
^Refer to GTR section 205-02 - Axle Housing Bushing operation 64.25.30 and install the new axle housing bushing (C2C16377) to the existing differential axle assembly.
^Install the differential assembly with new axle housing bushing to the vehicle.
*3.If the vehicle has not previously had a new design level differential installed, as listed in the PARTS section of this bulletin, refer to GTR section 205-02 - Axle Assembly operation 51.25.13 and install the latest level differential assembly to the vehicle.*

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??