S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Rick! I'm trying to decipher this... I'd like to be rid of this annoyance, but don't want to spend a fortune. I wonder what it would cost to just replace the bushing first, and if that would solve the problem.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Thanks Rick! I'm trying to decipher this... I'd like to be rid of this annoyance, but don't want to spend a fortune. I wonder what it would cost to just replace the bushing first, and if that would solve the problem.
A key distinction is if the "whine" is a constant condition at some speed (in which case the bushing replacement TSB might be relevant), or if the noise comes and goes in synch with your tipping in/out of the throttle pedal (which would suggest an issue with the pinion gear). If the latter (which is what I had in my '08), replacing the diff is the solution (esp. if still under warranty) - or getting into the diff guts and doing a rebuild. For example, see:
http://bernardembden.com/xjs/diff/index.htm

The following users liked this post:
Pushing_Tin (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 AM

Does anybody know whether the carrier bushings can be replaced w/o removing the entire suspension sub-frame to press them out?

Originally Posted by SCMike
A key distinction is if the "whine" is a constant condition at some speed (in which case the bushing replacement TSB might be relevant), or if the noise comes and goes in synch with your tipping in/out of the throttle pedal (which would suggest an issue with the pinion gear). If the latter (which is what I had in my '08), replacing the diff is the solution (esp. if still under warranty) - or getting into the diff guts and doing a rebuild. For example, see:
http://bernardembden.com/xjs/diff/index.htm
My whine is only when lightly on the throttle, not constant at all.

Last edited by Pushing_Tin; 01-13-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a left tail light fail, went to replace it and it was working. Then one morning I got both tail light fails, the car was crying wolf again.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I've had that happen as well. The left taillight bulb was loose in its socket. I removed the bulb, cleaned its base as well as the interior of the socket, and carefully reseated the bulb. That was in early September 2009. No problem with it since....

Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I've had that happen as well. The left taillight bulb was loose in its socket. I removed the bulb, cleaned its base as well as the interior of the socket, and carefully reseated the bulb. That was in early September 2009. No problem with it since....
Yeah, you might want to take a needlenose pliers and slightly bend the metal tabs inwards if it continues to happen.

When I got my car it had one tail light brighter than the other. For a while I didn't even know... Someone told me.

So I pull the left (brighter) tail light out, and wouldn't you know, someone had jammed an 1156 bulb into the european p21y socket. That was a treat to take out.

Afterwards, I had the problem of the loose bulb working intermitently, so i had to sligjhtly the tabs back...

Take care,

George

Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,647 Likes on 8,320 Posts

I wish the sun visors had the extensions in them that pull out to add extra blockage for driving into the sun. My wife's '08 Nissan Altima has them and they are great when they're needed.
On a recent trip to Visalia, driving south on hiway 99 (Central Calif)coming back home at daybreak, the sun was brutal shining in my eyes. The sun was peaking thru the Oleander bushes lining the center divider and was like a strobe light against my eyes. The extensions were a life saver which is why we take her car on trips and not the Jag.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ughhhh

PO795 stupid soleniod c!
trying to figure out what to do and how to do it!
and my dashboard the plastic part cracked :/ other wise never had a problem! oh i do have a slight oil leak but easy fix.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jayt2
I wish the sun visors had the extensions in them that pull out to add extra blockage for driving into the sun. My wife's '08 Nissan Altima has them and they are great when they're needed.
On a recent trip to Visalia, driving south on hiway 99 (Central Calif)coming back home at daybreak, the sun was brutal shining in my eyes. The sun was peaking thru the Oleander bushes lining the center divider and was like a strobe light against my eyes. The extensions were a life saver which is why we take her car on trips and not the Jag.
My 55 Chevy had those visors, and my 91 Buick Reatta had extensions on the visor that pulled out. You'd think it would be a standard accessory by 2000.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Here's a pic.. this is from a 2008 S-Type listed on ebay, but you get the idea relative to our cupholders. I'm sure someone on here has this cupholder and can give us actual dimensions.

Take care,

George

Got my new cup holder from Nalley yesterday, fits perfectly and I don't have to hold my mug between my legs now! Thanks George!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
It's not an issue all that much anymore since I had the auto lock doors "feature" disabled but the lack of a lock/unlock switch except for the one near the door handle. I'd like it on the drivers & passengers arm rest. The one on the dash in the center bin is not the same thing. That's a cycling button. So If you have just have the drivers door unlocked you have to first lock all doors then open all doors. You need two buttons or a rocker switch. Just dumb.

I agree about the windshield wiper area design. I also like to lift the wipers off the windshield and leave them up in the air when we get snow/sleet/ice. But hey, it's a part of the aerodynamic design of the car ...

Breaking HID headlamps that don't get a factory upgrade. I'm waiting for my second to be installed after next week. That's two broken in 5K miles on a car with 14.5K miles. After this I guess I'll be fixing it like everyone else out of warranty.

But these aren't deal breakers guys.
I was fortunate enough to buy an '04 STR with a 6yr/100K select edition warranty. At about 52K miles both of my headlights went south pointing down at the road, but
they replaced them with brand new HIDs under the warranty. The service guy said they cost over $1,000.00 each..

Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 PM

OK, a gripe I haven't seen, I'm driving along at 55-65, steady speed, speed limit goes up, I step on the accelerator, nothing happens. It seems like I press it down about an inch or more before it finally increases the rpms and speeds up. My pedal doubles as a foot rest I guess.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 55chevy
OK, a gripe I haven't seen, I'm driving along at 55-65, steady speed, speed limit goes up, I step on the accelerator, nothing happens. It seems like I press it down about an inch or more before it finally increases the rpms and speeds up. My pedal doubles as a foot rest I guess.
Welcome to the world of drive by wire cars.

Mercedes are worse, you almost have to pretend that the first half of the pedal travel doesn't exist.

What's even funnier is some cars, full throttle is only full throttle if it decides it's not going to spin the tires or something based on road speed and current gear.

A lot of the 'chip' tuning out there involves remapping how quickly the throttle opens based on pedal input. In essence the car "feels" a lot faster. But in reality you're just pressing the pedal more without realizing it.

Take care,

George

Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 55chevy
Use the J-gate. A quick flip to 5 and she's out of overdrive.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,849 Posts

That's one reason I still love my Ram pickup so much. An honest-to-goodness cable there, no drive-by-wire in that puppy. Ah, those were the days....

Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default get some Webers!

Hey Guys, there's no substitute for the sound and feel of a V12 with a set of 6 DCOE Webers on it! Of course, setting the linkage up is a bitch but OH what a sound! No stinking ECUs either.

On the other hand, I got a drive in a 2011 Gallardo spyder last night. What a fantastic ride blasting down the Great Highway along the ocean in SF. I wouldn't last a day in this car before I went to jail.

Bob S.
Originally Posted by androulakis
Welcome to the world of drive by wire cars.

Mercedes are worse, you almost have to pretend that the first half of the pedal travel doesn't exist.

What's even funnier is some cars, full throttle is only full throttle if it decides it's not going to spin the tires or something based on road speed and current gear.

A lot of the 'chip' tuning out there involves remapping how quickly the throttle opens based on pedal input. In essence the car "feels" a lot faster. But in reality you're just pressing the pedal more without realizing it.

Take care,

George

Old 01-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say that the line between Love & Hate is thin, well I love my S 4.2 V8, I loved my X type 2.5, just moved on, yes its got faults what car has not, live with it or get rid!
Steve

Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things: The driver's sun visor doesn't extend, so only covers half my side window when the sun is on my left.

The other is that I wish it had a built-in compass.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I believe many of the cars DO have a compass.

Out of curiosity: why do you want one?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
I believe many of the cars DO have a compass.

Out of curiosity: why do you want one?
I'd think the answer is obvious but I'll give it a shot: So I know which direction I'm going.

To expand: I have a bad sense of direction, and was elated the first time I had a compass built into my car. When I didnt have one I'd buy one of those battery operated ones but they were always inaccurate because of metal in the cab etc.

My sense of direction is so bad that I can go into a place after parking, and when I come out I have no idea from which direction I came or which direction I need to go. I an visualize looking down on a map and know the direction I need to go, but then I need a compass.

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??