S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Mine has a telephone image and a telephone fitted. It has a speaker / sound image on the steering wheel button (not a bluethooth one!) and it works as expected. Have you misunderstood the image?

I'm not sure when BT was first offered as an option - check the brochures you can find on the net I suppose, and/or the Tech Guides and/or the elec guides.
2003 and 04 (?) has the buttons but it was not an option even though many are pre-wired.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

My point is that I have an 04, it has the buttons it should have & which I described, they all do what you'd expect them to do and are documented to do. I see no problem

I do not have any buttons which say they do BT (nor did I expect any such buttons). I just do not understand what problem is alleged because there's no evidence pointing to BT.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by eds123
The fact that the car has a telephone image on the headunit and a bluetooth speaker icon on the steering wheel but it's not an option......
First of all, the icon on the wheel is a "voice command icon" not Bluetooth.

Here is the Bluetooth icon:

Here is a "Mahindra" voice command button:

And here is a Chrysler "uconnect" voice button:

As you can see the "little man speaking" is a universal icon for voice command. Yes, many times it is associated with a hands free phone connection.

Jaguar only used one set of buttons on the wheel and only one head unit control panel. The "Jaguar Voice" and the hands free phone (hard wired handset or bluetooth) were options (depending on year, trim, and model sometimes it was standard). Even cars equipped with the Nav Touch Screen and Jaguar Voice don't necessarily have a phone.

What is nice is that the Jaguar Voice button on the steering wheel acts as a mute button when Jaguar Voice isn't present. Not so on some other cars.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Ok. Let me simplify it for the overthinkers:
My STR has handsfree buttons but it was NOT an option in 2003 on the STR. does that clear it up? I mean, come on, there is a telephone button but you can't coondect for handsfree? By the way, a telephone icon on in a modern day car indicates you can connect your phone via Bluetooth. This is what I meant for the overthinkers. That is what annoys me about my S-type as indicated by the thread title.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

My STR has handsfree buttons but it was NOT an option in 2003 on the STR. does that clear it up? I mean, come on, there is a telephone button but you can't coondect for handsfree? By the way, a telephone icon on in a modern day car indicates you can connect your phone via Bluetooth. This is what I meant for the overthinkers. That is what annoys me about my S-type as indicated by the thread title.
Sorry but you're wrong. I have hands free. My car was built 2003 and to essentially 2003 spec. It is NOT the 2004 model (with those revisions some love so much), though it was sold in 2004.

Further, you're simply wrong about your claim that the telephone icon means what you say. It simply does not and did not in 2003/4.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Ok superjagv8, why would a car have a telephone icon and not have handfree as an option? Let mt simplify again: jag used all the same buttons in each model, probably for cost reasons, but did not offer handfree on the 02 built 2003 STR. I'm speaking with an owner right now about the factory handsfree modules so I can add this feature because his 2003 STR does NOT have the factory harness to allow him the upgrade. And a car with a phone icon on the steering wheel or radio does indicate having handsfree. Feel free to do some research as I have on the 2003 STR not having this option as I have done. there is plenty of great resources discussing this subject right here on jaguar forums. It's a great resource!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

You are incorrect. Handsfree phone was available for years before 2003. The difference... It was a phone module connected to a handset. So, the phone buttons are part of the radio so a customer/dealer can add the integrated phone system to the car. It consists of a module, cradle, phone, and microphone. In 2005 Jaguar introduced Bluetooth. On the early sets, bluetooth was connected via a module that plugged into the phone module and replaced the cradle and phone. As the models changed, the bluetooth became an integrated part of the phone module... eventually becoming a standard feature across the whole range.. 2010 I think?

Here are some e-bay examples of early integrated phone kits..

XK8 Jaguar Telephone phone installation kit 1999 ON NEW | eBay

98 JAGUAR XJ8 MOTOROLA PHONE RECEIVER MODULE ASSM | eBay

NEW Motorola JAGUAR Timeport Sprint CDMA Cell Phone | eBay

NEW NOS 1998 1999 2000 JAGUAR MOTOROLA CAR CELL PHONE ANALOG CRADLE BATTERY | eBay

Sorry if I'm over thinking this, just wanted to clarify that integrated phones have been in Jaguars since the 90's. And, having the buttons present even if the phone isn't there is not just a Jaguar quirk. I have seen it on Mercedes and BMW products as well.

And.... Here is an earlier XJ8 radio listing with a picture that shows the integrated phone buttons...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-03-JAGUAR...#ht_6905wt_952

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-10-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Jeff. As I keep trying to tell him, I have the handsfree phone. Factory fitted when the car was built in late 2003. Just the kind Jaguar fitted to plenty of cars.

If I had JaguarVoice as well (which I'm not bothered to get) I could dial etc that way. As I know how dangerous in-car phones are I avoid using it so it almost may as well not be fitted.

I guess he has a car with no pre-fitted factory harness and ASSUMES that means I must be wrong. Odd, as I have an actual car as described.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-10-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Again....and again....and again....it was NOT an option on the early 2003 STR's!!!!! I never said you were wrong on your year. Feel free to look back at all the posts but you are incorrect about my model STR which I ACUTALLY have as well. And, as we know, when you ASSUME something you make an *** out of U and ME. It was available for other makes hence why I have the buttons but no option. Wow, you guys are making this difficult. Just research it.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

i have the factory hands free phone in my 1999 car

Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Eds why don't you just post up where your research has come from.

Personally I find it hard to believe that the 03 STR didn't have the option my 03 granny mobile does.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Old 12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I saw no mention of early 2003 type R's being specifically excluded, only discussion of all S types prior to VIN xxx not being bluetooth compatible. Big difference.

Is it time for the pancake bunny?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Here's the thread title, "What annoys you most about your s-type?"

My response was, "The fact that the car has a telephone image on the headunit and a bluetooth speaker icon on the steering wheel but it's not an option...... " Then all the Mighter-than-thou responses flooding in stating my claims are false, blah, blah, blah....

The links I provided are simply what I found in less than 10 seconds. You can feel free to search more to show me I'm wrong but I've spent plenty of time on this searching that I'm correct. If the jaguarforums gods would like to disprove me you may do so but this thread has now become pointless and aggrevating. I feel like this has turned into some honda forum where the old-timers are attacking a newb because he posted he had a k series engine when they all claim it is a b. Lame.

Last edited by eds123; 12-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I saw no mention of early 2003 type R's being specifically excluded, only discussion of all S types prior to VIN xxx not being bluetooth compatible. Big difference.

Is it time for the pancake bunny?
VIN's are not specific to S-type or S-type R therefore the "all S-types prior" would include any S-type in that VIN range. And I love pancakes.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I think we have some wires crossed here, hands free and bluetooth are not the same, the early cars had a physical 'phone in the centre console which would work handsfree they did not support bluetooth.
As for mightier than thou members, we don't have those, if you have an opinion it is as welcome as anyone elses, if someone disagrees with that opinion feel free to discuss it maybe we will all agree at the end or mabye we will agree to disagree inbetween maybe we can have an interesting and hopefully informative discussion.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I think we have some wires crossed here, hands free and bluetooth are not the same,
That's what it sounds like to me too.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

My response was, "The fact that the car has a telephone image on the headunit and a bluetooth speaker icon on the steering wheel but it's not an option...... " Then all the Mighter-than-thou responses flooding in stating my claims are false, blah, blah, blah....
I'm not mightier than thou. I'm simply....Over and Over.. Explaining that hands free phones were available for years before the S type even came out. In the S Type the hands free units were available. In the S Type from 2003 on I believe they were Motorola V60i's (great little flip phone now that I think about it...LOL) that mounted in a cradle in the console lid underside. And again, the phone equipment is not common and was VERY expensive to have the dealer install.

In 2005 Jaguar released a bluetooth option that was backwards compatible with the previous phone module in some cases. In other cases, the owner had to upgrade the phone module in order for the system to be bluetooth compatible.

Here is an attachment to the Jaguar Accessory catalog that lists the phone kits by part number (note the bluetooth 2003 VIN start)

I also attached the installation instructions from Jaguar for the bluetooth module. Note it shows the integrated hands free phone. It also makes note of the part numbers.

An the reason I'm being persistent is that many newbs come on here look in for factual information..So I'm providing it.

And Mikey.... Have a bunny!

Sheesh... first time back on here after a very long time (long story) and instantly I'm in another phone thread.....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar_Phone_Install.pdf (935.2 KB, 169 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is a September build 03 with full handsfree, Motorola Startac handset in the arm rest and linguatronic.... oh and i hate all the electrical gremlins...faults and lights which appear then dissapear with no apparent reason and iwould love to have tried this beast with a manual gearbox...mmmm

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??