S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electric parking brake. Mine packed up months ago ang can't get it to apply.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by oz1701
i am sure this will come as no surprise - the transmission is nowhere near as smooth as it ought to be for such a "luxury" car.

expensive to service unless you do it yourself.

people see you arrive in a Jaguar and imagine you have money to burn.

even worse is when i go shopping for a replacement for my S-type the only cars i can see myself in that have the same cachet, and second hand value buy are other Jaguars. lol!

Then I respectfully suggest there is something wrong with yours. With mine once it's warmed up, the only way to tell if it's changed gear is to look at the rev counter. You cannot feel it, honestly.

Last edited by thebiglad; 07-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oz1701 (07-25-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,516 Likes on 3,927 Posts

Originally Posted by oz1701
i am sure this will come as no surprise - the transmission is nowhere near as smooth as it ought to be for such a "luxury" car.
Something's wrong. Short of oil or needs new oil or a smallish engine fault or whatever. Probably best to start a new thread about what you've done so far about this.

oz1701 (07-25-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lost Soul
Electric parking brake. Mine packed up months ago ang can't get it to apply.
It's a mechanical and electrical item largely exposed to the worst the road etc can throw at it. Every such thing needs maintenance or repair sooner or later on every car. Fact of life, sadly. Most people do no routine maintenance of it at all. Don't know about yours, though.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>even worse is when i go shopping for a replacement for my S-type the only cars i can see myself in that have the same cachet, and second hand value buy are other Jaguars. lol!

That, we're doomed to own finicky cars forev'ah

Problem is, I don't like XFs so the path to a new car is not clear...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

oz1701 (08-11-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i know what you mean about the XF - but it does have a great interior.

re the gearbox jagv8 - once its warmed up it does improve - and since i had the reflash of the transmission and engine module i have been putting a lot of city miles on it and it is slowly improving . i hope to advise the service centre that the issue i have had with the rough 2-1 shift has gone away - certainly each day of driving over the past three weeks it keeps improving but still considering the premium nature of the car i expected the box to be more robust. given the number of people complaining about transmission troubles on this forum clearly it isn't.

would i buy another jaguar - more than likely because most of the time it is a delight to drive. its even relatively economical 27 mpg around town and 37 mpg in the country. This is my second jaguar, my first was an X-type.

but that is a story for another thread - this one is about the annoyances.

Last edited by oz1701; 07-25-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annoying?

Ha ha...got a good one...

Getting it, posting a few questions on this site about it, and then having a wolfpack of board-buddies jump me because I abbreviated the model name to ST8 Sport (see footnote).

footnote: ST8 Sport (S-Type v8 Sport)

Where's that hair-splitting thread?!?

Last edited by 307883281600350; 07-28-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The funky aftermarket wheels the previous owner put on it! WAY to much bling for me.

Attached Thumbnails What annoys you most about your S-Type??-bce490ebb9_640.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Still finding these Ford parts rotor dust cover front.
After my rebuilt Ford autobox went in I cant tell the changes, so smooth..Paul

Attached Thumbnails What annoys you most about your S-Type??-20130811_125432.jpeg  
Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

speaking of annoying - i booked my car in to demonstrate the concern i have with the transmission shift quality to the mechanic and since i booked it the shift quality has improved to the point where it really isnt an issue anymore (must have finally adapted after the reflash and reset). however i still have an annoying clonk everytime i pull up so i will see what can be done about that (diff maybe?) . - update! replacement valve body (under warranty) here i come!

This is the first car i have owned where the paint clearcoat has failed (roof and bonnet) and i want to make sure the mechanicals are a-ok before i spend money making it pretty again.

apart from those issues i still enjoy the car and dont really want to part with it.

Last edited by oz1701; 08-14-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the sports seats and i find them very hard to get comfortable with and the sides of the seat dig into my legs when i go round corners. I find myself shifting my bum left and right trying to find the middle. Im not a big guy either.

I prefer to use manual with the climate control, i like fresh air on my face from the vents in the centre of the dash, if i set the air to output these vents my windows mist up because no air is on the windscreen. I cant set it to have air on the windscreen and my face. Also the climate control always has air con on, if i switch air con off, should i change the mode again the air con comes back on.

Air recirc goes off after a period. So does front window heater.

I find the ride great but it is a bit harsh over the bumps. A car like this should absorb the bumps with ease. Ie you should hardly feel them.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, there will probably be some eyes rolling on this one but I like my coffee and so does my wife so the first place we stop before a drive is the local Espresso drive-thru but this car has the most lame cup holders I have ever seen. Two cups cannot fit side by side without hitting each other and I an talking about the small 12 oz. size, no jumbo's here.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Catone
OK, there will probably be some eyes rolling on this one but I like my coffee and so does my wife so the first place we stop before a drive is the local Espresso drive-thru but this car has the most lame cup holders I have ever seen. Two cups cannot fit side by side without hitting each other and I an talking about the small 12 oz. size, no jumbo's here.
I sometimes resort to using the rear passenger cup holder for mine if I have company up front.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rob L
I have the sports seats and i find them very hard to get comfortable with and the sides of the seat dig into my legs when i go round corners. I find myself shifting my bum left and right trying to find the middle. Im not a big guy either.

I prefer to use manual with the climate control, i like fresh air on my face from the vents in the centre of the dash, if i set the air to output these vents my windows mist up because no air is on the windscreen. I cant set it to have air on the windscreen and my face. Also the climate control always has air con on, if i switch air con off, should i change the mode again the air con comes back on.

Air recirc goes off after a period. So does front window heater.

I find the ride great but it is a bit harsh over the bumps. A car like this should absorb the bumps with ease. Ie you should hardly feel them.
Probably quite easy to get some non-sport seats from a wrecker.

Recirc stays on if you hold it in until it double-beeps.

Your suspension is probably also the sport and likely low profile tyres. OK, you could've bought the non-sport but as an easy make-do just get some non-sport wheels, which will be higher profile. (This is on the maybe unwise assumption that your suspension isn't worn thus causing the issue.)

Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Probably quite easy to get some non-sport seats from a wrecker.

Recirc stays on if you hold it in until it double-beeps.

Your suspension is probably also the sport and likely low profile tyres. OK, you could've bought the non-sport but as an easy make-do just get some non-sport wheels, which will be higher profile. (This is on the maybe unwise assumption that your suspension isn't worn thus causing the issue.)
l'll make do with the seats for now, i have a habit of doing lots of things to my car and then changing it.

Ok cheers for the tip on recirc

I have the xs bodykit from new and i have 17" alloys. I dont know if i have sport suspension but it does handle well. I just find its not suited to small counrty roads that are a little rough. Excellent on bigger roads and very quiet, sometimes i just have everything off and the blower low so i can enjoy the peace

Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Then I respectfully suggest there is something wrong with yours. With mine once it's warmed up, the only way to tell if it's changed gear is to look at the rev counter. You cannot feel it, honestly.
I would also say the transmission is complete garbage. Mine was just completely rebuilt a year ago, and I still feel the shifts, usually when it downshifts.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,028 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by phaelax
I would also say the transmission is complete garbage. Mine was just completely rebuilt a year ago, and I still feel the shifts, usually when it downshifts.
Have you talked with the shop that did the rebuild? Was it the dealer or an independent garage? The reason I ask is that some shops will deliberately set up the transmission for firmer shifts. The silky factory shift settings cause extra wear on the internal friction surfaces, as one gear is slowly released while the next gear is slowly applied. This slippage causes extra wear.

By contrast, firmer shifts create less wear, so everything lasts longer. It could be that the rebuild shop set it up that way for longevity. If so, they probably should have let you know and given you the option, but it may not be the transmission's fault.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

It's a very widely utilized ZF box. It is on a Jag but it's really a ZF issue. My complaint is about fluid service and not being able to put that additive in now to fix a 3rd gear shift squawk without a complete tranny service. S T U P I D.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default New complaint! Ain't I a stinker ...

I did the fuel & oil filter change last Friday and discovered a few things that annoyed me.

1. It shouldn't be this hard to get to them.

2. The fender liner uses at least 5 difference style of connectors. Was this some sort of industry demonstration experiment or something?

3. The belly pan is a little better at 3 styles though the rearmost mounts are just terribly constructed using teeny tiny screws to "secure" the bracket mounting point which then uses much bigger ones for the pan! WTF?

I had an Infiniti Q45 that had one of these belly pans as well. That was a PITA as well.

Has anyone cut a flap hole for the filter and drain plug and then used velcro or something to re-secure it? A lot of time could be saved. With my Ford I can lift the car on one side slip under from and reach the filter & drain plug for changes and be all done in 1/2 hour.

4. I don't drive my jag in the winter at all but having removed the fender liner I can see that corrosion protect behind is very minimal.

Perhaps some undercoating treatment of these areas is a good Idea?

OK end of rant. That is all.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

I agree with you that the three different sets of bolts/screws/nuts that attach the belly pan are a bit over the top. But you'll get better and faster each time you remove it then re-install it, trust me....

The big no-no is to allow a third-party service provider to remove your belly pan. Chances are high that they will either lose some of the hardware or re-install it wrong. On the very rare occasions when a shop must work on our S-Type instead of me, I always remove the belly pan myself before I take the car to them....

On my wife's previous 2004 Lexus RX330 SUV, I did cut a 2" by 2" square hole in the plastic undercladding to allow me to remove the transmission pan drain plug for the drain-and-fills I did on that vehicle every 30,000 miles (Lexus RX transmissions of that era are far too fragile). That permanent hole allowed me to do a complete drain-and-fill in about 20 minutes without even having to jack up the vehicle....

Last edited by Jon89; 08-19-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??