S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

With my mileage I change oil yearly and just can't get bothered to cut pieces out of the engine undershield to save a bit of time once a year. Besides, when it's off I have a good look in case I see something bad.

I'm not looking forward to changing the fuel filter as my wheel arch liner fasteners are rusted solid so will need to be cut off with a tool I don't own (yet).

Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

other than the EGR valve is toast, hose under the super charger is leaking and two bad front ball joint's...nothing still my favorite car! Just question the engineer's choice of locations for certain parts

Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I think my face is similarly sized as the next guys, but does anyone's glasses fit in the ceiling glasses holder!? I think even the $2 pair of folding glasses would have a hard time fitting.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Hay
Now I think my face is similarly sized as the next guys, but does anyone's glasses fit in the ceiling glasses holder!? I think even the $2 pair of folding glasses would have a hard time fitting.
+1

And while we're griping about storage I'll just add that there's nowhere good to put anything like house keys or your cell phone or whatever in the center console area unless you open the arm rest (very awkward and my GPS & radar detector reside there) or ditch the cup holders. Oh well, the loud pedal makes up for that!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Move here and you could put your keys & phone in the centre console as such detectors are illegal. The idea is that you should stick to speed limits rather than use detectors to escape prosecution.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Move here and you could put your keys & phone in the centre console as such detectors are illegal. The idea is that you should stick to speed limits rather than use detectors to escape prosecution.
LOL and we thought we lived in a Police State.

I often lament the illusion of freedom that residents of this country have, while they are basically controlled in every step, and our freedoms have slowly eroded away over the course of the last 25 years.

THEN I travel to Europe or hear statements like this and realize that it could be worse. Although the Europeans especially the ones close to the Mediterranean tend to put up a fight, at least an iconic one...

Take care,

George

Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Bearing in mind the speed limits are to try to prevent death and injury I don't see how that makes it a police state to ban devices to abuse those speed limits. If you wish to go faster you can, but on private land. Top Gear use an air field but any private land is OK I believe.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So USA has monitoring of anyone's emails etc and the UK sets up fake internet cafes to monitor visiting politicians .... which one's the Police state???
My GPS I use to make sure Im going fast enough... the speedo reads at least 5 k under..Paul

Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Bearing in mind the speed limits are to try to prevent death and injury I don't see how that makes it a police state to ban devices to abuse those speed limits. If you wish to go faster you can, but on private land.
Everything is relative. I know a lady in her mid-80's who has an old Hyundai Pony, lives in Germany and goes down the autobahn at 100 mph. All perfectly legal and, in the eyes of the law, less dangerous than Schumacher doing 71 mph on an English motorway.

When I see a road sign showing a speed limit that does not differentiate between 30-wheeler trucks and sport cars, I make a mental note that I could probably go an extra 20-30 kmh quite safely (unless I am in a school zone). Since the police are not trained to share that opinion, I use a stealth radar detector. Perfectly legal in many jurisdictions and no less safe than a 85-year lady doing 100 mph in a Hyundai Pony.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
Everything is relative. I know a lady in her mid-80's who has an old Hyundai Pony, lives in Germany and goes down the autobahn at 100 mph. All perfectly legal and, in the eyes of the law, less dangerous than Schumacher doing 71 mph on an English motorway.

When I see a road sign showing a speed limit that does not differentiate between 30-wheeler trucks and sport cars, I make a mental note that I could probably go an extra 20-30 kmh quite safely (unless I am in a school zone). Since the police are not trained to share that opinion, I use a stealth radar detector. Perfectly legal in many jurisdictions and no less safe than a 85-year lady doing 100 mph in a Hyundai Pony.
Speed limits In the United States especially on the highways serve no practical purpose but revenue generation for the agencies / municipality's that write the violations.

These roads were designed for 75mph travel by 1950's 5000 lb American cars on 14" bias ply tires and 4 wheel drum brakes.

Modern cars can safely traverse these roads at 90+ mph as evidenced by the larger European roadways. Autobahn, autostrada, as well as others.

The problem has become most modern drivers. Most are nothing more than passengers behind the wheel clueless to their surroundings and situational awareness. Add the fact that the speed limit is widely ignored by most and you get cars traveling on the same roadways at various speeds with no clue or respect for the whole concept of slower traffic keep right and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Add in the phones, MP3 players, coffee, and everything else they have at their disposal and it's a wonder why cars don't crash more often.

There is a push by lawmakers here in NJ right now to raise the speed limit to 75 backed by numerous studies that proclaim that to be the "natural" flow of traffic and racing the limit to that would significantly reduce accidents.

Take care,

George

Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Hay
My prescription sun glasses fit in there just fine ??

Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Over here many stores insist upon checking your shopping bags against your receipt as you leave the store.

They claim it's to make certain that you haven't left anything behind and cheated yourself.

Well that's why most of us here have the detector on, to double check that we aren't inadvertently over the limit especially when coming into a "radar in use area". MY GPS also displays the local speed limit as well as issuing a warning if I'm over the limit by X amount.

There now, I can be silly too.

The truth is that unless you're in heavy traffic or roads where there a lot of entrance points there's very little data to support the idea that speeds of 80-90 mph are anymore dangerous than 55-65 mph.

Yet most limits of expressways are at 65 mph and in NJ at least 80 mph is tolerated. Most of the time.

But that's just the trouble, it's not consistent. So if they're in enforcement mode, i.e. revenuing, then you can get a big *** ticket for 80 one day and ignored the next.

If they're using laser there's not a whole you can do with a simple detector except keep your eyes peeled and see if anything unusual is going on. But with instant on radar some of it always splashed beyond the target cars ahead of you and you can check your speed accordingly.

Best not to be the rabbit on the road for those reasons.

Until you've traveled on the long interstate expressways over here it's hard fathom why some of us would not want to stick to 55 or 65 MPH.

If you still don't get it then I refer you to this piece of wisdom:

See how well it all works out? LOL

It's an American thang ...

That's Claudio Zampolli in opening shot. He's a legend with fast Italian exotics in LA. Google him

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by thebiglad
My prescription sun glasses fit in there just fine ??
My glasses fit with plenty of spare room, too.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default manual toucg screeb blinking on and off even when it's turned off drives me crazy

It's been checked by non-jag mechanics and it keeps coming back! Sorry I meant manual climate control LED screen....

Last edited by Chidestp; 10-18-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 10-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The fact that not a month has gone by that I have not had some kind of issue with my car since I bought it in Nov 2012. If its not a check engine light or restricted performance from codes then the stupid electrical crap.

I have had many many cars both used and brand new since buying my first car a 68 Firebird in 1980. I have had more problems with this Jag then any other car and if it keeps going at this pace it will be more problems with this one car then all of my cars combined by January 2014.

Added 11/13/2013, the uncertainty of the car. I am scared to take it on long trips as I don't know if she will just up and quit on me.

I am being very critical I know BUT I love when she is problem free because it is a very quiet, serene, comfortable almost stately ride and when I want to pass she has the HP and TQ for it!

Last edited by Diamondrmp; 11-13-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

I'll admit that our two Jaguars have kept me busier from a maintenance/repairs perspective than any of the other vehicles I've owned in nearly 44 years of driving. Come December 19th we will have owned our S-Type for five years. During the past couple of years it has been completely trouble-free until I discovered the weeping transmission line hoses while doing a routine oil & filter change at the end of September. I'm having a trusted indy shop replace those hose segments with heavy-duty hydraulic hoses next Tuesday for a fraction of what a Jaguar dealership would charge me to install the same design-flawed parts, and after that repair I'm knocking on wood that I'll have another trouble-free year or two ahead of me....

The bottom line with any Jaguar is that you have to sort the issues out one-by-one and address them. That can take considerable time depending upon what's wrong with the car. The good news is that the vast majority of these issues are well-known and expertly addressed here on the forum. The bad news is that if you cannot DIY these issues and must pay to have them resolved, these cars can get unaffordable very quickly....

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 S-type v6.. issues

I'll be happy to throw my 2 cents into the mix. I like driving the car but...

1. the whine from the rear-end drives me crazy, I hate it !!!

2. not being able to check the trans fluid stinks, always a concern

3. when the temp gets below 30 F the parking brake fault light comes on, no problem all summer, has been checked, cleaned, etc. to no avail

4. a number of failures over last 3 years, 2 fuel pumps, wiper motor, cooling reservour cracked, windows drag and squeak, leaking oil from throttle body.

guess it is about time to replace it... so sad

Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

#1 is a fault.

2. you can check it but it's not convenient

3. again, a fault - I'd DIY using a JLR Mongoose to try to read related faults

Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I find this thread increasingly depressing to read. I see a huge difference between design quirks that irritate us and vehicle faults due to age or lack of maintenance.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

^^^ Right on Mikey!

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??