S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof

Until you've traveled on the long interstate expressways over here it's hard fathom why some of us would not want to stick to 55 or 65 MPH.
I have done, many times and they're not really different to our motorways except the speed limit varies too much. I must say that at first I was surprised to see that the speed limit wasn't 55mph as we see in all the 'movies'.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i enjoy driving my s-type and it is nice when it runs perfectly. it encourages good relaxed driving - no hooning around. everyone who rides in it remarks on the lovely engine note (growl) that it has and express great surprise when i tell them it is a only a 2.5 litre six cylinder engine.

Thankfully the rebuilt transmission fitted at 68000 km was covered under the statutory warranty, and the reconditioned transmission, oil cooler, and radiator fitted at 107000 km was covered under the extended warranty i purchased. Other than that it has been 100% reliable and i have just had tires brakes and regular services to contend with.

it is very frustrating though, if someone drops anything under the seat, as it is next to impossible to get anything out from under it easily.

The lack of decent cup holders is also annoying - no matter how i try i cannot get the saucer in.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by oz1701

Thankfully the rebuilt transmission fitted at 68000 km was covered under the statutory warranty, and the reconditioned transmission, oil cooler, and radiator fitted at 107000 km was covered under the extended warranty i purchased. Other than that it has been 100% reliable
Two transmissions in 66k miles? Good job you had a warranty as I'm sure you wouldn't praising it's reliability if you hadn't.

The following users liked this post:
oz1701 (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry conner
I'll be happy to throw my 2 cents into the mix. I like driving the car but...

1. the whine from the rear-end drives me crazy, I hate it !!!

2. not being able to check the trans fluid stinks, always a concern

3. when the temp gets below 30 F the parking brake fault light comes on, no problem all summer, has been checked, cleaned, etc. to no avail

4. a number of failures over last 3 years, 2 fuel pumps, wiper motor, cooling reservour cracked, windows drag and squeak, leaking oil from throttle body.

guess it is about time to replace it... so sad

1. Have you considered changing the fluid in the diff?

2. Yes you can !

3. Very likely caused by a weak battery. When temps dip, any weakness in a battery shows up and throws the electronic systems out in a number a different ways. Before starting your car 1st thing, check the battery voltage - if it's less that 12.6V you have a battery issue.

jerry conner (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Hi Dave!

Got your eye on another Jag yet?

manycars- aka Mike Stype

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by oz1701

The lack of decent cup holders is also annoying - no matter how i try i cannot get the saucer in.

That's why you bring the butler along. He can hold it.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by manycars
I have done, many times and they're not really different to our motorways except the speed limit varies too much. I must say that at first I was surprised to see that the speed limit wasn't 55mph as we see in all the 'movies'.
In Texas and several states, the speed limit is 75 mph on most of the major freeways. This means that the majority of the traffic travels at 79 to 80 mph. (A few toll road have 85 mph limits)
I get used to these speeds, and lower speed limits seem so slow.

I am seeing a lot of mileage and age related failure on my 04 STR as have been posted here. Seems that about once a month something starts to fail on the car. Latest was the battery. One of the Catalyic converters is going bad and this triggered the "Restricted performance" message to appear. I love my STR, but worry about its reliability these days...

Last edited by Tijoe; 11-13-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add sentence
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebiglad
1. Have you considered changing the fluid in the diff?

2. Yes you can !

3. Very likely caused by a weak battery. When temps dip, any weakness in a battery shows up and throws the electronic systems out in a number a different ways. Before starting your car 1st thing, check the battery voltage - if it's less that 12.6V you have a battery issue.
Yes, changed the fluid... it had no effect. The whine is a well known / documented problems with the S-type

I haven't seen anything on how to check it, maybe a plug on the case but I still don't know a level etc. It is an auto with "permanent" fluid. lol If you know how to check it PLEASE pass the info on.

I'll check the battery again before I start up. I also tried to manually release the brakes before I start the car, no help. It was bad last winter then good all summer then first 30 degree F day I got the failure. Almost seems like thick grease binding with the cold. I pulled the tires, checked the brake cables, moved them several times, all looked good, then failure when it would sit for a day or 2. Thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

My one single complaint about my STR is the slippery seats. When I am driving aggressively on a bending road, I slide around everywhere. I wish it was suede instead of leather to grip my behind better lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry conner
Yes, changed the fluid... it had no effect. The whine is a well known / documented problems with the S-type
Covered 100% under warranty by Jaguar.

Wear and maintenance problems and questions could/should be addressed in posts of their own if you want. Both the trans fluid level and EPB have been discussed many many times.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

jerry - see HOW TOs

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by JagV8
jerry - see HOW TOs
Sorry for my ignorance but ???? HOW TOs, where is that?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

It's at the top of the S Type main page.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/

jerry conner (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by manycars
Hi Dave!

Got your eye on another Jag yet?

manycars- aka Mike Stype

Hi Mike, no not yet. I know it sounds a bit 'girly' but after the experience with that green Jag, it put me off a bit.

I know though it'll happen, I just keep looking until something smacks me in the eye.

Taking the 'big iron bird' to UK tomorrow to pick up another Discovery, so I hope all is well for saturday morning when I actually get her.

Cheers for now

Dave

Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by thebiglad
Hi Mike, no not yet. I know it sounds a bit 'girly' but after the experience with that green Jag, it put me off a bit.
...so what annoys you most about the S Type is the people that sell them.

Good luck with the Disco.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

What's your mileage?

Battery failure is hardly the fault of the car in most cases. I had a brand new one fail on me a couple years ago. I still have the original which I use in my race trailer to operate the winch.

Originally Posted by Tijoe
In Texas and several states, the speed limit is 75 mph on most of the major freeways. This means that the majority of the traffic travels at 79 to 80 mph. (A few toll road have 85 mph limits)
I get used to these speeds, and lower speed limits seem so slow.

I am seeing a lot of mileage and age related failure on my 04 STR as have been posted here. Seems that about once a month something starts to fail on the car. Latest was the battery. One of the Catalyic converters is going bad and this triggered the "Restricted performance" message to appear. I love my STR, but worry about its reliability these days...

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Pressure
My one single complaint about my STR is the slippery seats. When I am driving aggressively on a bending road, I slide around everywhere. I wish it was suede instead of leather to grip my behind better lol.
Suede pants?

You ARE pushing the car hard if you slip around in the STR seats or maybe I just have a massively bigger butt!

It's not a car I feel comfortable driving real hard anyway. It's a relatively heavy car and the stuff that wears out when you do that is plenty expensive. I have other vehicles for that sort of driving.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I dislike:

1) The poor visibility caused by the low roof line on the front screen
2) The equally poor "over the shoulder" visibility caused by the B-pillar (door pillar.
3) Poor access for servicing and repairs. If the engine bay was just 10% bigger all round life would be MUCH easier
4) Parts prices - the Jaguar item vs the Ford/Lincoln/Generic item. Front brake pads cost about $200 from Jaguar and $10 from Rockauto. The generic $10 ones I fitted perform better than the half worn Jaguar ones I took off!
5) Ground clearance - it's just to damned low. An extra 3/4" would make life so much easier on the speed bumps we have here

I also don't think it feels "special" like my old XJ40s used to. They really had the gentlemans'-club-on-wheels ambiance but this car doesn't. It goes well, rides well enough and so on but it is not a car that stirs the emotions like my old pre-Ford cars. They weren't perfect, but at least they felt like real Jags

Old 11-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First overnight freeze of the year this week and I forgot to change out the "good" shift knob in my S for a crazy cracked finish winter knob. So now I have another cracked finish knob. That's 6 in 5 years (4 years if you don't count last winter when I made the change in time). Meanwhile, the X that sits right next to the S has never had this happen even once with an identical part# knob installed. What?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I think that the fact that this thread runs to 28 pages says something

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??