S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,033 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Warspite
Latest ones are that #%?$ P1584 throttle body PITA and the infamous air/heat/defroster problem that results in a windshield that cannot defog. These may wind up costing more than the book value of the car to address. Shame, because the car looks new in and out!
The P1584 is a piece of cake. My '02 V6 was throwing that code occasionally a few years ago. I replaced the entire throttle body with a guaranteed used one from eBay. Set me back all of $60 and maybe an hour of my time. The fault has never returned.

For the foggy windshield, maybe start a new thread. I've got a few ideas, such as determining if the AC compressor is running, is heat present at the defroster vents, etc. We'd be glad to help, but it would be best to cover that in a new thread.

The following users liked this post:
Warspite (01-09-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whine

Originally Posted by JagV8
Its a fault. Clearly it can be fixed (hardly any cars have it).

Do you mean you don't want to spend the money to fix it? Or what?
Wow, Glad you are still on the forum, have not talked to you in a couple years. More s-types than you might think have the whine and there is no "fix". Could buy a rearend but the fault is random on which cars have it. I talked to many people and there are many guesses which part sets up the noise but no facts. Gears, shaft, bearings, maybe a machining issue and tolerances are off enough to cause it, one car has the issue another doesn't. Yes, I am not willing to spend thousands for someone to experiment on fixing the issue and still have the noise. The dealer was always a joke, could not even get a phone call returned for a trans fluid change.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
I can on my 2005. There is a toggle like switch on the left hand side. I use to change tracks or stations either up or down.
on the back side of the steering wheel , works good and excellent location

Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry conner
Wow, Glad you are still on the forum, have not talked to you in a couple years. More s-types than you might think have the whine and there is no "fix". Could buy a rearend but the fault is random on which cars have it. I talked to many people and there are many guesses which part sets up the noise but no facts. Gears, shaft, bearings, maybe a machining issue and tolerances are off enough to cause it, one car has the issue another doesn't. Yes, I am not willing to spend thousands for someone to experiment on fixing the issue and still have the noise. The dealer was always a joke, could not even get a phone call returned for a trans fluid change.
Odd that we hear about others.... hardly ever.

No reason it should cost "thousands".

Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Odd that we hear about others.... hardly ever.

No reason it should cost "thousands".
+1

I've never heard that the diff whine was incurable. There was a TSB to address the issue.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default What annoys me

What annoys me most is my S Type is like a beautiful women. I can't stand being away from her, but when I'm with her I sometimes do dumb things like driving too fast or picking a fight with BMW/Mercs.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not just the S-Type but almost all the cars with these cheep plastic headlights.. I know that real glass covers would cost more, they are forged out of ingots of molten glass pressed into a mold and take a little time and added expense.. You'd think on a car with an almost $50k price tag the mfg would choose a quality lasting part. That said it's been hard for me to think of anything to add to this thread.. I love this car

Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Seems this thread is turning into a 'my 17 year old car is wearing out' whinge.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Perhaps but when it comes to some part items the S-Type does not distinguish itself and it's not 17 year old age problems. The newly installed parts fail soon sometimes.

Headlamps (a sore subject for many) and some cooling parts quality are particularly bad.

A lot of the headlamp issues you can blame on design trends in the industry. Exotically shaped headlamps and HID technology. Interestingly the lamps that actually give me great long range coverage are Halogens and not the very troublesome low beam HIDs. Lot's of cars have issues with difficult to repair/replace headlamps now.

At least on my Suburban they're not too expensive but they're still plastic and I have to remove the entire grill and some bumper parts to change the bulbs. Fortunately you can polish these easily. I'll find out about the S-Types in the spring. There's nothing exotic looking about a 99 Suburban's head lamps. They could have been sealed beam glass so that they don't haze, yellow ... etc. Still nowhere as difficult and as hard to keep fixed as my S-Type. That one get's it's front end taken off again because one of the headlamps is now intermittent after replacing all the bulbs last fall. Well the entire set of light fixtures are as well. But that's not just Jag. Just DUMB.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be to remove the HIDs and fit halogens (housings with lamps, probably from a scrapped car). With the better halogen bulbs now readily available the overall result would probably be fine and no more HID hassles.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be to remove the HIDs and fit halogens (housings with lamps, probably from a scrapped car). With the better halogen bulbs now readily available the overall result would probably be fine and no more HID hassles.
I've asked this before but I never had a response.

It does change the look of the car.

I suspect this is one of those "just get a different car" type questions.

I guess all the new cars are led based or is it a mix?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That it has been raining for the 72 hours I have owned it, and I can't put the top down

Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas Kerr
That it has been raining for the 72 hours I have owned it, and I can't put the top down
You've got an S-type that has a convertible top?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
You've got an S-type that has a convertible top?
It seems that reading comprehension owns me. I seem to have wandered into the wrong thread- sorry
I have an XK8. Much more common :P

Old 01-10-2017, 01:24 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenFly
It's not just the S-Type but almost all the cars with these cheep plastic headlights..
I had my headlights refurbished with new clear coat at Sams Club for something like $20 or $30 and a 30 minute wait. It was a UV cure polymer overcoat and it included a warranty for something like 10 years. This repair was so cheap and easy it isn't worth complaining about. :-)

Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-16-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

What's funny about the headlight "issue" is that newer cars have the headlights integrated into the design - curves, etc. it is no longer simplistic as in older XJs, (or other makes/models) which could use $8 sealed beam GLASS headlights. Regardless of what make or model, if you get 2 years out of aftermarket or replacement plastic lenses, you're doing well.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I just used the kit from Silvania with spray activator then sanding with 400, 1000, and 2000 grit paper then the UV clarifying coating. They look new again.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 AM

Been reading the solutions to hazy/cloudy/dull lens. Here's a quick & inexpensive fix from a friend who owned a auto repair biz for over 40 yrs. Buy 1000 grit, 2000 grit & 5000 grit paper. Start buy wetting the 1000 grit & rub either up or down or sideways across the lens. Rub only one way either up-down or sideways. Then switch to 2000 grit & rub the other way.

Switch to 5000 grit and buff out by rubbing in circles. Make sure to use lots of water. Then add some lens polish and rub again w/wet 5000. Finally flush with water, dry w/microfiber cloth and then apply your favorite car wax & buff out.

I did this 4 mos. ago & the lens still sparkle. Here are the before & after pics.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Now for want annoys me. Can't get the automatic/memory seat settings to work. They were working fine up to a couple of weeks ago. I can go thru all the adjustments & it displays that the settings are made, but nothing happens when I insert or remove the key.

I've tried running the seat all the way back & forth & up & down, but still nothing.

Like I said in a previous post my Jag's like a beautiful women. So I guess I have to accept the fact that she gets a little fickle sometimes and/or just wants to tease me.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM

Lack of aftermarket power upgrades because nobody can tune it.

Open ended differential. Really? C'mon now.

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??