S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
The 4k estimate is straight from Classic Coach in Elizabeth NJ. Who is probably the best independent Ferarri / Maserati shop in the state.

Staatsof - Disease? I prefer to call it a hobby. Although it may be a symptom of NWS - No wife syndrome, as I don't have a wife to spend my money on my behalf....

I hear you on the electrics - My Jags have been OK. I'm an EE so I generally am pretty good with them.

I don't care about absolute speed. I have a drag car I share with my brother for that. 9 second passes in a 1987 IrocZ hit the spot as far as need for speed. As does my Superhawk 996.

Honestly after having my 3.0 S-Type I couldn't imagine that much power in an S-Type (as far as the STR). It's almost unbecoming of the character of the car... My S-Type is my drive to work and cruise car, not my street warrior.

What has led me to the Maserati is partly price, partly looks, partly performance, and honestly the fact that you don't run into them on every other block...

I want a nice open grand tourer, that I can take to work when it's nice out (I have private indoor garage parking at work), have some fun with on the commute, and something to take out on the weekend and just enjoy.

Now as far as service, I know I'll be behind the 8 ball as far as ever having to visit a dealer and or parts. My brother owns an independent shop, and although I can bet there's never been a Ferarri or Maserati in the bay, how hard can maintenance be? Fluids are fluids, brakes are brakes. It's not like the Italians reinvented the wheel lol... Especially with the more modern motors that don't need constant valve adjustments and have clutches that give you a leg workout and are almost impossible to drive in traffic. I've heard that the automatic mode on the cambiocorsas is brutal, basically the car drives as if someone is learning how to drive a stick. - Similar to the BMW SMG transmissions. The automatic downshifts at 1300 rpm are nice though, as is the ability to be in traffic without working the clutch constantly. I look at it as the best of both worlds...

I've browsed on maseratilife a bit. - Can you explain the reverse situation? I know people have had to fight with the gear selector to get the reverse lights to engage, but nothing relative to the actual use of reverse gear.

Take care,

George
Classic coach is not independent. They are a factory authorized Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini dealership. Just not at their Elizabeth location.
They will be fine but no less expensive than any other dealership. They do work on some of my cars.

I'm not the one to ask about any specific service procedure for the the late Maseratis but you probably need the proprietary service computer for most things on that car. There is NO after market diagnostic stuff for that or Ferrari. You can't bleed the brakes on a Ferrari after the 355 series without the computer. Ask the guys on Maseratilife what the deal is with Maserati.
Yes you can change oil etc.

My only point with comparing the the STR is that it's a better GT car than the Maserati is but alas no convertible. Another nice one is the Aston Martin DB9. Similar money.

Have fun.

Bob S.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Another nice one is the Aston Martin DB9. Similar money.

Have fun.

Bob S.
+1 on that....Only thing is the DB7 is more in line $$ wise to the Masser..

The DB9's listed on Auto Trader are listed in the 60k and up range...

Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
Yes, a boost gauge would be nice....still trying to find a nice way to install a boost, and a/f wide band gauge on the car
Same here. There is no way I am doing the A pillar pod thing with this car. I've had them on various Saab turbo's and just never liked the look.

I don't know where else it would go though. Never liked them much on the steering column cover either.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Classic coach is not independent. They are a factory authorized Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini dealership. Just not at their Elizabeth location.
They will be fine but no less expensive than any other dealership. They do work on some of my cars.

I'm not the one to ask about any specific service procedure for the the late Maseratis but you probably need the proprietary service computer for most things on that car. There is NO after market diagnostic stuff for that or Ferrari. You can't bleed the brakes on a Ferrari after the 355 series without the computer. Ask the guys on Maseratilife what the deal is with Maserati.
Yes you can change oil etc.

My only point with comparing the the STR is that it's a better GT car than the Maserati is but alas no convertible. Another nice one is the Aston Martin DB9. Similar money.

Have fun.

Bob S.
Oh I didn't realize Classic Coach was actually a factory dealer. The lack of DIY support may be a deal breaker here, but I'll have to do my research.

I wonder besides the Aston what else I should consider. My budget is around 30-35k for the initial purchase, with a 5-7k a year maintenance budget.

Half the fun of the experience for me is turning the wrenches and doing stuff myself. Look at my SL project. - Which is going in for paint in a couple weeks when I finish the prep work. - I do know my limits.

See if I just wanted to go fast without a roof - an SL55 which is more mainstream may fit the bill here, but style and driving experience wise it's worlds away from a Mas with a tubi exhaust. Even if the overall perfomance is a bit less.

Personally for STR $$ (or close) you can get a CL55 if you want a fast daily driver.

George

Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Default OK, last post on this we're too far off topic. :)

I meant the Aston V8 Vantage not the DB9 but looks like I'm dead wrong on the used pricing. This surprises me. The Maserati Grand Sport is a much better deal then. I think you're over $35K for that though. Neither one of those is going to be like owning a Mercedes or Jaguar.

I have a friend with an 05 4200 coupe and he's got 45K miles on it with no clutch service yet. He's out in the boonies though. No city duty.

The STR is a better & sportier driving car than the base Maserati 4200 IMO. Not sure about the Grand Sport though. I've never been in an Aston Martin so I can't say anything except I prefer their looks to the Maserati. The Maserati styling dates from 1993 and they changed the tail lamps when they brought it here in 2002. A mistake I think.

None of these cars are much of a wrench-you-own thing. They're too new.
I won't do all that much on my STR either. Just brakes, oil, coolant and a few other things. My vintage cars and the race car I do just about everything except machine work and paint/body. I'm tearing apart the Maserati race engine today.

This looks pretty tasty:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 12-21-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by cosworth
Stop turning the A/C on when I didn't press A/C.
Stop turning the rear screen on.
Stop turning off recirculation.
Sounds like you have something on Auto that you don't want on Auto (the lights, maybe, as it's not just the lights).
Please let me aim the washer nozzles so that I can see the lower left road clearly.
Don't they adjust?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Sounds like you have something on Auto that you don't want on Auto (the lights, maybe, as it's not just the lights).

Don't they adjust?
Nope. If you press the airway button that directs air to the dash defrosters it turns on the A/C. It should only turn the A/C on if you press the defrost button or press the actual A/C button. It's the only airway button that activates the A/C.

On a bone dry day after I pull out of the garage, it the temp drops below 1c the rear defroster comes on. Even though there is no ice or frost to be removed. Let me control that and the unnecessary current draw.

Also on the pre facelift cars if you press "recirc" it only stays on for a few minutes then turns off. If know I'm going to be driving through some smoke (happens a lot in the summer) I don't want to smell it. Then the recirc turns off and the cabin reeks.

And no, the nozzles are not aimable but I will concede they are quite excellent compared to other cars. On all my other Fords and Volvos you stick a safety pin in there and aim them no problem.

Essentially my main frustration with this car is the entire climate control system. No heat, some heat, slow heat, heat out of one vent is more than the other on HI, then after a while it's ok, the A/C turns on all the time, it BEEPS. It's a really crass system for such a classy car. I sometimes drive my mom's old Accord when she needs work done on it and jesus H does that heater work fast. Takes the S forever to warm up.

Yes, fully functional Jag thermostat and a fully pressurized system with no air bubbles. For 3 three years I've cursed at the climate control system. My Merkur Scorpio had a great system. Miss that car sometimes...actually a lot of times.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

cosworth - The handbook seems to me to say that you need to press and hold the recirc button if you want it to stay on. Doesn't it work?

Some of your other descriptions sound like you have at least one climate control fault. Have you cleaned/replaced any/all of the sensors?

The rear coming on may be another setting somewhere, probably the kind customisable by a dealer (I'd guess you're in a minority who'd want it changing). Have you asked a competent one?

Last edited by JagV8; 12-21-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Wow this is turned into a lot of topics all in 1 thread!

Maybe we should split some things out before go much further?

Remote start?

That whole Maserati - Aston etc. ?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Ok I agree...

As far as remote start - want to start a new thread here in the S-Type section?
(let me know and I'll reserve my answer about the LS's remote start compatibility)

We can take the Maserati / Aston / Unamed future GT convertible thread to off topic...

George

Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds good. Send me a PM and we can exchange emails.

Attention moderators!!! Can you move all the remote starter posts to their own thread or to the new one we begin?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM

cosworth - The handbook seems to me to say that you need to press and hold the recirc button if you want it to stay on. Doesn't it work?
Since my car is in the shop again it will be a week until I can try. It's a feature I have used once in three years and it proved right away the lack of understanding to whomever designed the system.

Some of your other descriptions sound like you have at least one climate control fault. Have you cleaned/replaced any/all of the sensors?
No faults. Sensors are within parameters last time I checked and conditions have not changed since I tested them. Takes at least 10kms for any heat to show up.

The rear coming on may be another setting somewhere, probably the kind customisable by a dealer (I'd guess you're in a minority who'd want it changing). Have you asked a competent one?
It's a feature, well documented by many. It activates when cold. Sounds to me like you live where it never gets cold!

Not customizable. Climate control is not a dealer modifyable unit. PCM has some options, but not many.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Sounds good. Send me a PM and we can exchange emails.

Attention moderators!!! Can you move all the remote starter posts to their own thread or to the new one we begin?
Your wish is my command!

I've moved the remote start posts to their own thread, I'll do the same for the Maserati posts if you plan to continue that discussion.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Since my car is in the shop again it will be a week until I can try. It's a feature I have used once in three years and it proved right away the lack of understanding to whomever designed the system.
OK, try it when you get it back and see if it does what the handbook says. Let us know.

Whether it shoud work the way you want as opposed to the documented way is a matter of opinion. You clearly have a very strong contrary one.
No faults. Sensors are within parameters last time I checked and conditions have not changed since I tested them.
Odd. Others have had to clean and/or replace their sensors and found that fixed their problems. Plenty of threads to that effect.
It's a feature, well documented by many. It activates when cold. Sounds to me like you live where it never gets cold!
My location is listed so not hard to tell that you're wrong.
Not customizable. Climate control is not a dealer modifyable unit. PCM has some options, but not many.
You sure seem to know stuff.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by norri
Your wish is my command!

I've moved the remote start posts to their own thread, I'll do the same for the Maserati posts if you plan to continue that discussion.
Muchas Gracias. I don't what the Maserati thread would be called and where it would be put so I'll leave that up to you. We've taken the discussion offline. Thanks again.

Bob S.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM

My location is listed so not hard to tell that you're wrong.
It was a polite way of saying that the feature works as designed and that you should be aware of the function.

You sure seem to know stuff.
I do not think so but I have a keen interest in CAN BUS and other PCM/ECU systems. I have a Merkur that is powered by an ECU I assembled and tuned myself along with a Cosworth Sapphire that I have done extensive ECU work on. Am I fussy about cars? Not really, I just want the heat on within 5kms from stone cold and I don't want a computer making decisions for me.

If I want the rear defroster on then I'll turn it on. If I press recirc then it should stay on by default until I turn it off. If I want the A/C on then I'll turn it on or set it to auto. I'm not asking much...

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Same here. There is no way I am doing the A pillar pod thing with this car. I've had them on various Saab turbo's and just never liked the look.

I don't know where else it would go though. Never liked them much on the steering column cover either.

This is one option I am thinkin of doing.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-04...Q5fAccessories

Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

I have a friend and fellow exotic car owner who runs an auto service facility where they handle a lot of domestic vehicles. When I told him I bought the STR he said "I have no sympathy for you for any problems you have with that car. You deserve everything that happens to you with that vehicle. They're just a glorified Ford Taurus".
There are some idiocies that I just can't let pass, and this is one of them. The S-Type has nothing to do with the Taurus platform. Totally different animals, chalk and cheese. The Ford platforms with significant correspondences with the S-Type were the Lincoln LS and the Ford Thunderbird. The former was built from 2000-2006 and shared its basic structure with the S. At the end of its run, the LS still only had the 3.9 litre V8 with the 5-speed. It received very little of the continuing development that the S did. By the time that the face-lifted S-Type came out in 2005, they were essentially different cars. The 2006 LS was a mostly obsolete model. The analogous Thunderbird was built in 2002-2005, basically on a shortened LS chassis. The less said about it, the better (IMHO only!). As for comparing the STR with ANY Ford badged product - nothing comes even close, unless it is the NEXT generation SHO (400+ HP twin turbo?.....), and that is yet to be announced.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

It was a polite way of saying that the feature works as designed and that you should be aware of the function.
It works OK for me and it appears most people.
Not really, I just want the heat on within 5kms from stone cold
I get heat quickly. Can't say I've taken any interest in exactly the distance because it's quick enough not to care. Is yours different, I don't know but it sounds like it.
and I don't want a computer making decisions for me.
I buy a luxury expensive modern car and I expect it to make some sensible decisions by default. The S-Type does. You're different, maybe buy a car that suits you better. Sounds like it won't suit me.
If I want the rear defroster on then I'll turn it on. If I press recirc then it should stay on by default until I turn it off. If I want the A/C on then I'll turn it on or set it to auto. I'm not asking much...
In effect you ARE asking too much because you're asking it to do just what YOU want. OK but the S-Type doesn't, and happens to suit ME (and clearly many others).

Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

[quote=cosworth;283980Essentially my main frustration with this car is the entire climate control system. No heat, some heat, slow heat, heat out of one vent is more than the other on HI, then after a while it's ok, the A/C turns on all the time, it BEEPS. It's a really crass system for such a classy car. I sometimes drive my mom's old Accord when she needs work done on it and jesus H does that heater work fast. Takes the S forever to warm up.

Yes, fully functional Jag thermostat and a fully pressurized system with no air bubbles. For 3 three years I've cursed at the climate control system. My Merkur Scorpio had a great system. Miss that car sometimes...actually a lot of times.[/quote]

OK, before this gets too heated (LOL). To be honest with you Cosworth I too think there may be something wrong with the climate control system... Maybe Jaguar did some major updates since you have an early car but I doubt it. I think that age is your main enemy. You car is ten years old and dependent on a multitude of sensors to operate the climate control. I sure wouldn't hurt to clean them.
As for the A/C button... It clearly states in my owners manual that the A/C lamp will be illuminated when in any defrost or Auto setting but doesn't mean that the compressor is running. The cabin sensors include humidity sensor(s) that will cycle the compressor as needed. To be honest, I like the Auto climate control in my car. The blower stays low until the coolant temperature rises then the blower kicks in to heat up the cabin. Winters in Ohio are really harsh and cold and that is one thing that really impresses me about this car. In addition to the way it handles in the snow and ice, the way it always starts and feels OK even when it's -15F (-26C, yes it gets that cold here), and how there are no squeaks or creaks even at that low temperature.

In a nutshell, no matter what the environmental conditions, I've never had a fogged windshield or fogged rear glass. Ice or frost clears off the rear window quickly and the cabin gets pretty toasty relatively quick. All this without having to constantly push this button or that...Just get in, drive, and enjoy..

Now... If the darn heated seats worked as well.... LOL

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??