S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
There are some idiocies that I just can't let pass, and this is one of them. The S-Type has nothing to do with the Taurus platform. Totally different animals, chalk and cheese. The Ford platforms with significant correspondences with the S-Type were the Lincoln LS and the Ford Thunderbird. The former was built from 2000-2006 and shared its basic structure with the S. At the end of its run, the LS still only had the 3.9 litre V8 with the 5-speed. It received very little of the continuing development that the S did. By the time that the face-lifted S-Type came out in 2005, they were essentially different cars. The 2006 LS was a mostly obsolete model. The analogous Thunderbird was built in 2002-2005, basically on a shortened LS chassis. The less said about it, the better (IMHO only!). As for comparing the STR with ANY Ford badged product - nothing comes even close, unless it is the NEXT generation SHO (400+ HP twin turbo?.....), and that is yet to be announced.
Not worth getting excited about. I'm pretty sure most people are well aware of the Lincoln LS relationship and I thought that was a pretty decent car to drive. The Taurus comment by a friend of mine just illustrates the ignorance and prejudice that exists even amongst otherwise knowledgeable technicians. I have owned several Taurus based cars and now an S-type. Believe me I can tell they're not related. We could start with FWD vs RWD.

Last edited by Staatsof; 12-22-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
OK, before this gets too heated (LOL). To be honest with you Cosworth I too think there may be something wrong with the climate control system... Maybe Jaguar did some major updates since you have an early car but I doubt it. I think that age is your main enemy. You car is ten years old and dependent on a multitude of sensors to operate the climate control. I sure wouldn't hurt to clean them.
As for the A/C button... It clearly states in my owners manual that the A/C lamp will be illuminated when in any defrost or Auto setting but doesn't mean that the compressor is running. The cabin sensors include humidity sensor(s) that will cycle the compressor as needed. To be honest, I like the Auto climate control in my car. The blower stays low until the coolant temperature rises then the blower kicks in to heat up the cabin. Winters in Ohio are really harsh and cold and that is one thing that really impresses me about this car. In addition to the way it handles in the snow and ice, the way it always starts and feels OK even when it's -15F (-26C, yes it gets that cold here), and how there are no squeaks or creaks even at that low temperature.

In a nutshell, no matter what the environmental conditions, I've never had a fogged windshield or fogged rear glass. Ice or frost clears off the rear window quickly and the cabin gets pretty toasty relatively quick. All this without having to constantly push this button or that...Just get in, drive, and enjoy..

Now... If the darn heated seats worked as well.... LOL
Jeff,

I have found the S-Type HVAC system to work fairly well overall as well. It warms up quicker than my other recent two cars, a Ford Taurus and an Audi A6. I found out by using the mode switch to blow hot air thru the face vents it is quieter and defrosts my hands. I then revert to auto mode. Alas, no seat heaters though. My Audi does have them so when it is really cold out, I drive that. So far, this winter, the Jag has not been exposed to the salt.

Mike

Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I've owned a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 The "X" is analogous to its Ford cousins: Mondeo and Taurus. The X-Type and "S" do not share the same chassis.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Back to the original question....

So, what annoys me most????

That so many people think it is a Ford!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

So, what annoys me most????

That so many people think it is a Ford!
It could be worse..people could think it was a Tata. On the other hand, leaping Ta ta's might be a more interesting hood ornament.

Mike

Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
I've owned a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 The "X" is analogous to its Ford cousins: Mondeo and Taurus. The X-Type and "S" do not share the same chassis.
The X-type shares a chassis with the euro Modeo, and the US Ford Contour / Mercury Mystique.

The S shares a chassis with the Lincoln LS, and late model Thunderbird though.

What would be cool, although it will never happen, especially since Jaguar is now owned by Tata Motors, famous for the wood framed trucks featured on Ice Road truckers, world most dangerous roads, would be a convertible 2 door S-Type, based on the Tbird.

George

Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
I have found the S-Type HVAC system to work fairly well overall as well. It warms up quicker than my other recent two cars, a Ford Taurus and an Audi A6.
Mike
Ignoring the the Audi since I have not owned one my results are the exact opposite. Very interesting. My Sable heats up pretty quickly whereas the S-Type takes longer and never blows hot air on my feet when I'd like it the most. Maybe that's by design because the car doers eventually get comfortable. The AC is adequate but not outstanding like it was in my 82 Sable.

If my car is not up to snuff how do I ask the dealer to check it out and not get the usual "It's just fine that's normal" response?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Don't forget the new Mustang is also based on the same platform but is using less and less of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Ignoring the the Audi since I have not owned one my results are the exact opposite. Very interesting. My Sable heats up pretty quickly whereas the S-Type takes longer and never blows hot air on my feet when I'd like it the most. Maybe that's by design because the car doers eventually get comfortable. The AC is adequate but not outstanding like it was in my 82 Sable.

If my car is not up to snuff how do I ask the dealer to check it out and not get the usual "It's just fine that's normal" response?
I've found that most Euro cars don't have the HVAC systems of american cars for some reason. My 2001 Pontiac Grand prix would get so cold in the summer that there would be condensation forming around the vents. And would have heat hot enough to scald you.
Pretty much all of the Euro cars i've had took a while to warm up and cool the cabins. BMW's warmed up pretty quickly but their A/C sucked. Mercedes had decent A/C Mediocre heat.

I agree that the S-Type does get comfortable, just not fast enough for out tastes, especially here in Jersey where its been a month of morning temps below freezing.

Bob, as far as your dilemma of not warming footwells, you may be better suited to taking the hvac off the auto setting and manually selecting active vents.

George

Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
On the other hand, leaping Ta ta's might be a more interesting hood ornament.

Mike
Those of use with HID "headlamps" already have self leveling Ta Ta's ...

Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Those of use with HID "headlamps" already have self leveling Ta Ta's ...
Only for a short period of time... Then you have droopy TaTa's....That gets fixed with a screw.....

Oh boy, I'm gonna get banned fer sure....

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Enthusiast (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
The X-type shares a chassis with the euro Modeo, and the US Ford Contour / Mercury Mystique.
Sorry, bit of Mr Correction here.... Mondeo, yes, Contour/Mystique no...

The Mondeo that Ford "made" Jaguar use was the next generation of that platform, not the one that was sold in the US. The X's platform was not sold here.. US Fords were becoming Mazda's and Volvo's by then... LOL

Old 12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Only for a short period of time... Then you have droopy TaTa's....That gets fixed with a screw.....

LOL I'll join you on the ban...
They Develop droppy TaTa's then they have to be taken in for surgery to perform Brutals TaTa lift...

Man these cars really are like women :P

George

Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

If only that were true. It could revolutionize the plastic surgery industry.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I feel like I'm back in junior high school ...

But yes, I go in next week because one of my Ta ta's is winking at all the other pretty cars on the road. Sort of a Janet Jackson moment if you know what I mean. Oh she's just such a **** ... No it's not getting fixed with a 5 cent screw. We're doing this in a top drawer fashion. She's getting an implant.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

I feel like I'm back in junior high school ...

But yes, I go in next week because one of my Ta ta's is winking at all the other pretty cars on the road. Sort of a Janet Jackson moment if you know what I mean. Oh she's just such a **** ... No it's not getting fixed with a 5 cent screw. We're doing this in a top drawer fashion. She's getting an implant.
Sorry to hear about your car's wardrobe malfunction. Are you still under warranty or just willing to pay through the nose for a new headlight?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Warranty.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Muchas Gracias. I don't what the Maserati thread would be called and where it would be put so I'll leave that up to you. We've taken the discussion offline. Thanks again.

Bob S.
Glad to hear it, those were my concerns as well.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I've had a fogged windscreen, once, the first night I bought the car in Portland OR, I was staying in Astoria and it was a damp rainy night, being a virgin to the car I wanted to turn off the AC as I couldn't understand why it was on in the cold and rain, by the time I got to Astoria I was cursing the damn car for misting up, once I had time to figure out how the system worked I just left it on auto, and never had a misting problem again or a problem with cooling in Phoenix at 115deg.
I'm happy for the computer to take control, having said that I'm driving a Camry rental right now and it takes seconds to regulate the manual system, but if you have a computerised system why not let it do it's job?
As for heat up time, I've no idea, I live in Phoenix for Gods sake.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

OK, guys, coast's clear again!

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??