S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Hmm - I didn't know there was another option and they are interchangable. Thanks! Maybe I'll search the interwebs and see if I can dig up the newer one.

Right now I just took the cup holder out and shove a Vitamin Water in the cubby. It kinda stays put.
Here's a pic.. this is from a 2008 S-Type listed on ebay, but you get the idea relative to our cupholders. I'm sure someone on here has this cupholder and can give us actual dimensions.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails What annoys you most about your S-Type??-cupholder.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The small cup holder is 2 3/4" and the larger one is 3 1/4"

I will also chime in on the seat warmer auto shut off. Man that is annoying. Just start to get warm in the buttocks area and then it shuts off. Of course you do not notice it till your butt is cold and you look down and the thing shut off!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh man somebody dig up a part number for that! My mug doesn't fit either. Do these just swap right out?

Originally Posted by androulakis
Here's a pic.. this is from a 2008 S-Type listed on ebay, but you get the idea relative to our cupholders. I'm sure someone on here has this cupholder and can give us actual dimensions.

Take care,

George

Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Oh man somebody dig up a part number for that! My mug doesn't fit either. Do these just swap right out?
Yeah it just pops in in place of your old one. pull up from the back then slide the old one out, insert this one. Just a friction fit. I'll see if I can get a part # tonight, I don't have parts catalogs here with me.

George

Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Yeah it just pops in in place of your old one. pull up from the back then slide the old one out, insert this one. Just a friction fit. I'll see if I can get a part # tonight, I don't have parts catalogs here with me.

George

Just called Nalley, they don't have them in stock but can order them. With the forum discount it's $78. That's pretty spendy for a little plastic piece.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Just called Nalley, they don't have them in stock but can order them. With the forum discount it's $78. That's pretty spendy for a little plastic piece.
Did Dan happen to give you a part #? I have wholesale connections.

George

Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Did Dan happen to give you a part #? I have wholesale connections.

George
No I didn't ask. I don't like to ask for the part number and then get it somewhere else. Not sure how much cheaper wholesale will be. I'd love to have it though.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Bob,

There are two temp levels. Tap once for high. Both red LED's go on. Tap again, one LED turns off and that is "low", no way around the timer though.

George
Ok I now have to amend my submission for "annoying attribute".

I looked at the pictogram on that switch and thought it was turning off the heat on the back portion of the seat. I was wrong. I tested it tonight and I can detect no discernible difference between the two settings. Why? Because it auto turns off in 10 frickin' minutes! It's useless and so non-ergonomic that I just wonder ... Bottom line, it needs a heat boost, 2 position that works and no timer.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM

George

Any luck George?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Any luck George?
Not just yet. I did manage to find a cupholder, but they are labeled as 2003-08 list for 92.00. BUT there is no way to tell if it's the one we have with the two symmetrical cups, or the one with the dual sizes.

More to come...

George

Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Not just yet. I did manage to find a cupholder, but they are labeled as 2003-08 list for 92.00. BUT there is no way to tell if it's the one we have with the two symmetrical cups, or the one with the dual sizes.

More to come...

George

Cool, looking forward to the update.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

More to come...

George
Just to let you know.... The dual sized one was fitted from 2005 and up...

LOL, my dealer just "tossed" me the symmetrical one shortly after I got my S.. I had no idea they were worth that much.. So, yes they are interchangeable since I have both versions..And no, I'm not giving up the one that came with my car... LOL..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default Nit pickin' ?

Cup holders? We're talking about frickin' cup holders guys! My 2005 STR has the dual size but I generally don't drink & drive in that car. I don't eat in it either.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

LOL - hot topic

Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

You bet we are talking about cupholders!

Maybe if we get a part number we could do a group buy and cut the cost a bit?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Ok I now have to amend my submission for "annoying attribute".

I looked at the pictogram on that switch and thought it was turning off the heat on the back portion of the seat. I was wrong. I tested it tonight and I can detect no discernible difference between the two settings. Why? Because it auto turns off in 10 frickin' minutes! It's useless and so non-ergonomic that I just wonder ... Bottom line, it needs a heat boost, 2 position that works and no timer.
Since we keep coming back to this issue, and it was my inspiration for starting this topic to begin with, I've decided to try to engineer a solution to our heated seat dilemma.

For you guys in moderate climates, YES it is and gets that cold up here.

I took a look at the schematics and came to an interesting discovery. There's what appears to be a thermal resistor in the seat cushions, which may act as an on / off switch. I.e. the switch shuts down once it reaches a certain temp threshold, there may or may not be a timer in the logic circuits. Guess the Brits don't like driving with their seat constantly heated, but then again what do they know, they like warm beer...

But it seems easy enough to splice into the seat harness and monitor. IF it's the thermal resistor turning off the seat, and not a timer, we may have a simple way to control the seats as WE and not Jag intended.

Is there anyone else interested in this? - Should I start a new thread or keep it here?

George

Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Looks to me like you need to re-trigger the input to the module. Or... if it's momentarily grounded (as it appears) when switched on, just keeping it grounded may work (e.g. change to a different type of switch). Wedging the switch in might work, at least as a test.

(I think the module will contain a timer and an overheat check via the sensor.)

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'd bet on that as well but hey you guys are the electronics wizards.

I suggest a new thread "Hot butts in a Jag" ...

Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Looks to me like you need to re-trigger the input to the module. Or... if it's momentarily grounded (as it appears) when switched on, just keeping it grounded may work (e.g. change to a different type of switch). Wedging the switch in might work, at least as a test.

(I think the module will contain a timer and an overheat check via the sensor.)
I'm going to try to get some timed runs over the next couple days to see if the seat runs for a fixed amount of time or not. I suspect you may be right. Simply keeping the switch grounded should work. (it is momentary).

For aesthetics purposes it's probably best, to try to use the same switch, or at least add a inconspicious secondary switch if needed. Alternatively you can use a latching relay such as the PAC-TR7.

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_010505.pdf

You can always use an additional relay to reverse polarity back to negative to feed the heated seat modules.

George

George

Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

How about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??