S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best year and model S-Type as a classic car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 06:32 PM
|
Default What is the best year and model S-Type as a classic car?

There have been numerous posts about the best S-type, but they usually focus on raw horsepower along the lines of Jeremy Clarkson on the race track. In real life, we don't drive like that, and now that the S-type is becoming a classic car, the "best" criteria is different.

I have a 2001 S-Type sport and a 2004 XJ6, but have not driven any other Jags in terms of years or models. I had not been in the S-type for a long time, but with lockdown the XJ is stuck in a garage in the city, and the family member who uses the S-type is stuck in the city, while the car is here on the island with us... so I am driving it.

When I first bought it, I had to fly to collect it and spent two days bringing it home. In New Zealand, that means two-lane roads where the road builders do not blast through the hills, but follow the contour - long curves, up and down - and I was most impressed with the handling. It just felt better than any car I had ever driven - the CATS suspension was noticeably good and as I drive it this week, I remain impressed; it really is a pleasure to drive. The previous owner was an old man who did all the work himself, and his wife used it to go shopping and the club in a town with straight roads and no hills. He sold it because they moved to a house without a garage, and the car had never been left outside.

As I read about the various years and models of S-type, there appears to be some debate on what year and model is best. As a classic car daily-driver owner, the criteria would include:
  • Model with the fewest mechanical issues over time. For example, a supercharger means an expensive part to replace unless they never fail.
  • The most durable engine and transmission
  • The most durable mechanical bits, and the ones to avoid (or understand the cost to replace and build it into the purchase price)
    • What tends to go wrong due to age, due to neglect, due to bad engineering
    • How serious are the above? In the X350 series, the air springs are a chronic issue due to age, but not hard to replace... just expensive.
  • Mechanical advances - better suspension, aluminium bits to lower weight. I read about discontinuing Brembo brakes for example, but don't know what this means in real life.
  • Reasonable trade off in fuel economy versus performance. In the X350 line, the XJ6 has a perfectly adequate motor, and gets better fuel mileage.
  • The best handling in real world conditions (obeying the law, driving on real roads). I accept this will be different for Americans and British road users. In the US S-type is a mid-sized car because the infrastructure is wider and straighter.
  • Most comfortable on long drives. Do you arrive feeling rested? Is the experience memorable?
  • Features and options to look for, what to avoid and what accessory are upgradable
    • For example, the upper end XJ's have a fibre-optic system tying climate control to CD radio and outmoded cell phone. But, the base radio can be removed and replaced with Bluetooth/camera/maps without affecting the climate control.
  • The best looking exterior - either stock or as a reasonably priced add on (such as the mesh grill)
  • The best looking interior - here I read the later models have a more luxury feel than the 2001 with several variations
  • Best looking exterior colour - some colours just suit a car better - yes this is subjective, but let's add it to the debate
  • Best looking interior colour - subjective I know, but I find black to be too dark. The XJ6 has Dove Grey and looks much better
In answering, if you can post photographs that illustrate, especially interior and exterior details that will help future forum members. Contrast photos are always helpful, showing the same shot between say a 2001 interior and a 2007. Showing the various models is always helpful. Looking at Autotrader.co.uk, I see listed for sale:
  • DV6
  • R
  • SE
  • SE Plus
  • Spirit
  • Sport
  • V6
  • V8
  • XS
But except for the obvious, do not know what the differences are... and these are only the ones for sale today, there probably are other models.

Last edited by x350; 08-31-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2021 | 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

the second gen s-type and the x350 are the same car the differences are trivial

obviously get an str because all the others aged horribly

Last edited by xalty; 08-31-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2021 | 11:34 PM
|
Old 09-01-2021 | 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

Only time for a short reply.

I'd go for the redesign (2002+MY) when the 4.2s arrived. Dechromed.

I like the R's extras so would go for that (& did) but otherwise the 4.2 - near enough same MPG as 3.0 but with lovely smooth power delivery.

I like the R's mesh grille.

I would avoid the "facelift" (2004.5MY etc) as I prefer the front as it was and didn't like the daft rear chrome strip that was added.

The Brembos are good but wouldn't bother me if not there.

Despite its age, the integrated satnav etc works well.

The following users liked this post:
jya (10-18-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 11:49 PM

The one that never leaks, of course. Actually they all look great. Definitely better with the mesh grill though.

Old 10-15-2021 | 06:13 AM

For me having previously owned an XJ40 Sov and always wanting the Daimler options on it the only way to go with the S-Type was the 'halo' car, in other words to go with the R.
As is mentioned you cannot drive the R's hard on the UK roads so in general they would have been stressed far less than others with less power in the range.
I went for a 05MY facelift R because I preferred the cleaner lines of the later front and rear. (The 05MY STR's had no chrome as standard, it was only 06 onwards that got the chrome boot plinth as standard and body colour as a no cost option.)
I also think that the Vulcan wheels look better than the previous Zeus wheels.

There is another slight benefit with the facelift s-type in that the entire rear bumper is the same as all other models in the range making getting a secondhand replacement easier. It also makes it harder to spot an STR from a non-SC S-type at a glance and I like that!
I think that the Brembro brakes do look better than the later callipers. However, the later ones have less chance of sizing up and when pushed hard have better heat dissipation. But as mentioned above on UK roads with normal driving you will never get to that stage so it is not an issue at all.
I would avoid STR's that were registered on or after 23 March 2006 as the road tax on those after then is now £585 a year, but before that date is £340 a year.
05 and newer S-type face lift cars, made from January 2004, also have the advantage of using the SDD software not the older IDS version, they also have all the d2b module options pre-activated so things like a CD changer or the later 2008 X-type Bluetooth unit are just plug and play if you add them.

If you want to keep it standard then make sure the car you get has the sat-nav screen. If you are not bothered then get one without as it is easier to fit a double din replacement head unit in cars without the nav screen.

So for me it is an STR made between January 2004 and January 2005 when they changed away from the Brembro brakes with the nav screen. That is the 05 model year cars.
In other words exactly what I have got!

Now the problem is there were not many of them made, so good luck finding one!!

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 10-15-2021 at 06:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
StoicJag (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

For sure get the latest year you can. Jaguar made continuous improvements but the car's looks stayed about the same.
So get the 4.2L engine instead of the troublesome 4.0L V-8 either NA or in the STR. Get the 6 speed ZF transmission instead of the Ford 5 speed one.

Old 10-18-2021 | 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
For sure get the latest year you can. Jaguar made continuous improvements but the car's looks stayed about the same.
So get the 4.2L engine instead of the troublesome 4.0L V-8 either NA or in the STR. Get the 6 speed ZF transmission instead of the Ford 5 speed one.
See my note above about the UK road tax cost:
STR's that were registered on or after 23 March 2006 the road tax is £585 a year, but before that date it is £340 a year.
Mellow

Old 10-18-2021 | 03:57 PM

I actually think that the best one is an STR in Jaguar Racing Green. That's the model and color that Jaguar took to all the Auto Shows when they were new, an awesome color on the S Type. Who ever has one is a lucky dog, not many around.