S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can you tell me about the S-type V8 & S-type R (2005 m.y.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can you tell me about the S-type V8 & S-type R (2005 m.y.)

I've been toying with the idea of an XJ8 now for sometime, but the only thing that concerns me is the air suspension (I'm looking for something that is reliable and will last me a long many years). With that said what about the S-type with the V8 engines (supercharged and non-super charged)?

Locally there is an 03 V8 and an 05 R. Any years more desirable than others?

Any engine issues with either car that should be looked for?

Is the idea of "reliability" and "long-term" not part of the supercharger's vocabulary?

These do not have the air suspension right? Coil springs?

Transmissions robust?

How are the electrics?

Anything unique to look for on these?

I appreciate your time.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: What can you tell me about the S-type V8 & S-type R (2005 m.y.)

any S type 03 and up can be a great choice or a horrible choice depending upon how well it is maintained

R models have air suspension as do some regular s types

Transmissions are strong overall but can have problems

My R has just over 70k miles on it and looks/runs like new many people, including my dealer are amazed how nice i keep it, once again just keep it serviced!

Electrical s are fine on them

If you get an example with xenon headlights (mostly only the Rs have them) make sure the auto-leveling feature works, you will see them go up and down upon turning them on...parts on these are notorious for breaking.

Mine will probably go up for sale in the next few months I have select edition on it but I plan to move to an XJ8 or XJR, maybe an XK

Old 01-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm new but did a bunch of research before getting mine. The biggest regret is not getting a V8. My dealer gave me a 06 4.2 for a loaner while they fixed a wind noise issue. It was a much better driving car. Liked the throttle response and the handling provided by the 18" wheels/suspension. I agree that how it's been maintained is the biggest thing to look for when getting any used car, no matter what the make. I would also stress that if you can, get a used Jag from a dealer that will certify it. The Select Edition warranty that Jag offers is real good. Covers almost everything except trim items for a additional 2 years and 60k. That makes the warranty 6 years or 100k from the original new in service date.
The S Type went through a major update for 2003. Lots of mechanical updates plus a vastly refreshed interior. The last update was in 2005, but that was a sheet metal update. New tail, new hood, new front fascia. Actually, a lot of the exterior changed, so many parts are different for 2005 and up cars.
That said, I personally like the '05 and up the best, put that is a matter of personal taste.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I would concur with Jeff's recommendations especially in getting a Select Edition with the warranty. In my case, the dealer threw it in for free (so he says) during the dickering process. If not, you can purchase an extended warranty separately. Try Warranty Direct for a quote. They offer several options.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there aren't any issues with the supercharger? From what I've been reading 05+ is are the least troubled?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I would have to say no, but that is based on what I've heard. The supercharged 4.2 is used across the line and has been around for a while. The Jag 4.2 seems to have a pretty good rep. Heck, it was used in the Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, and some Land Rovers, granted in the Fords it only displaced 3.9 liters.