S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What color to paint my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What color to paint my wheels

My 07 S-Type wheels need paint restoration after a detail shop put who knows what on the wheels to try and remove serious amounts of very stubborn brake dust. The first blast with a pressure washer and off came the paint, at least the primer is still there.
My S-Type is silver and I'm leaning towards painting the wheels satin black. What wheel color have other folks on this forum used ?

Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wheel color on S type

Good evening. The rims on my '03' S type R when I bought it even though it was a one owner, dealer maintained, garaged car looked like they had been parking next to a Mill ******* File since new. The rest of the car was in excellent condition.

So....wheel color, I know the the 'now' thing to do is to do your wheels dark. I have a 1995 911/993 Porsche Carrera that, stock, had a soft silver color on the wheels with the body color being a dark metallic grey. After so many miles and years in that same car I had the wheels redone (powder coated) in a dark bronze black. Initially I wasn't too pleased with the color as it took my Carrera from it's German elegance to the look of a 'track' car. Not my thing. But the woman in my life, at the time, liked the look so...eh...what the heck.

But we are here to talk about Jaguar S type not 'P' car's. When It came to my S type R here's my thought and the reason behind the thoughts and subsequent decision.

Jaguar has and does spend a lot of time, effort, and money to make every model of their cars the most beautiful, sporty, and elegant example of rolling automotive art that they can produce. And they, in my opinion as demonstrated by the fact that a own and maintain of of their 'examples', do a wonderful job. That being said, if Jaguar thought 'dark' wheels would have added to the beauty, elegance, etc. then i'm sure Jaguar would have done their wheels in a dark finish. They didn't, so I didn't. I refinished my rims via powder coating in a very, very closely matched color to the original.

Mind you if he 'dark look' floats your boat then by all means 'get after it' It is just my personal opinion that is somewhat cheapens the true Jaguar 'aesthetics' I bought a modern version of a classic Jag (MK2) and I want it to look like and retain all of it's heritage.

RE: update color.....just a personal choice.

On another note but the same subject and may be perceived as a bit 'snobby' if you'll take a, not even, close look at what people do when they buy a 'previously owned' Jag because they could not, would not buy a new Jag if's very common for this person to do two things. A, change the wheels to a dark color and B. change the exhaust to something that says (via sound) LOOK AT ME.....I'm in a Jag!!

Once again, if that's your gig...more power to you. It just doesn't happen to be mine.

I believe and really enjoy the understated elegance and, in the case of the supercharged S type R, the 'insolence' of 400 HP+ (I've added a cold air ram system for a HP boost) that is Jaguar.

Q: have you thought about spooked wheels? just a thought. Wanna be special? I think that would be double 'C' cool.....btw...I've had spooked wheels.....that's why I powder coated mine a satin finish to match the original.

Regardless of your decision or what any one else thinks have a great time with your cat! My first car at was a 1957 XK140 DHC at 20 years of age. I, unfortunately, sold it at 25 years of age and then 500,000+ miles in 'P' cars and now back to Jags. I feel like I've 'come home'.....and I just absolutely LOVE MY '03' JAG STR

Nice to chat with you....how about posting a pic. of your new ride?

Best to you,

M.W.L.

Current 03 STR quartz with lt. gry int.
Past XK140 DHC red with chrome wires

Old 10-12-2016, 12:47 AM

Btw...'spoked' not spooked wheels.....fricking 'spell check'!!

Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through a similar dilemma. Black on black would have been too much and would have given the car a gangster look.
I compromised and had the wheels redone original silver but changed the center caps from green to red.
At the end of the day your car and your choice. Just enjoy the experience. I wanted to keep mine low kms and I'm afraid it has become my daily drive. Always puts a smile on my face.
Harry

Attached Thumbnails What color to paint my wheels-image.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by m.w.l.
Good evening. The rims on my '03' S type R when I bought it even though it was a one owner, dealer maintained, garaged car looked like they had been parking next to a Mill ******* File since new. The rest of the car was in excellent condition.

So....wheel color, I know the the 'now' thing to do is to do your wheels dark. I have a 1995 911/993 Porsche Carrera that, stock, had a soft silver color on the wheels with the body color being a dark metallic grey. After so many miles and years in that same car I had the wheels redone (powder coated) in a dark bronze black. Initially I wasn't too pleased with the color as it took my Carrera from it's German elegance to the look of a 'track' car. Not my thing. But the woman in my life, at the time, liked the look so...eh...what the heck.

But we are here to talk about Jaguar S type not 'P' car's. When It came to my S type R here's my thought and the reason behind the thoughts and subsequent decision.

Jaguar has and does spend a lot of time, effort, and money to make every model of their cars the most beautiful, sporty, and elegant example of rolling automotive art that they can produce. And they, in my opinion as demonstrated by the fact that a own and maintain of of their 'examples', do a wonderful job. That being said, if Jaguar thought 'dark' wheels would have added to the beauty, elegance, etc. then i'm sure Jaguar would have done their wheels in a dark finish. They didn't, so I didn't. I refinished my rims via powder coating in a very, very closely matched color to the original.

Mind you if he 'dark look' floats your boat then by all means 'get after it' It is just my personal opinion that is somewhat cheapens the true Jaguar 'aesthetics' I bought a modern version of a classic Jag (MK2) and I want it to look like and retain all of it's heritage.

RE: update color.....just a personal choice.

On another note but the same subject and may be perceived as a bit 'snobby' if you'll take a, not even, close look at what people do when they buy a 'previously owned' Jag because they could not, would not buy a new Jag if's very common for this person to do two things. A, change the wheels to a dark color and B. change the exhaust to something that says (via sound) LOOK AT ME.....I'm in a Jag!!

Once again, if that's your gig...more power to you. It just doesn't happen to be mine.

I believe and really enjoy the understated elegance and, in the case of the supercharged S type R, the 'insolence' of 400 HP+ (I've added a cold air ram system for a HP boost) that is Jaguar.

Q: have you thought about spooked wheels? just a thought. Wanna be special? I think that would be double 'C' cool.....btw...I've had spooked wheels.....that's why I powder coated mine a satin finish to match the original.

Regardless of your decision or what any one else thinks have a great time with your cat! My first car at was a 1957 XK140 DHC at 20 years of age. I, unfortunately, sold it at 25 years of age and then 500,000+ miles in 'P' cars and now back to Jags. I feel like I've 'come home'.....and I just absolutely LOVE MY '03' JAG STR

Nice to chat with you....how about posting a pic. of your new ride?

Best to you,

M.W.L.

Current 03 STR quartz with lt. gry int.
Past XK140 DHC red with chrome wires
Thank you for your thoughts on my current paint dilemma. Yesterday I sprayed 2 wheels satin black with Plasikote . It did not look right against the car profile or with the silver body color. I did see an S-Type that had the wheels refinished with HydroGraphics in a light silver/grey carbon fiber print and a gloss urethane clear coat. That did look cool and blended well with the car. Perhaps an option.
My daughter is voting for a dark orange/black snake skin HydroGraphic ...what did I do wrong ?

Last edited by Geezer; 10-12-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Wash her mouth out with soap . Surely that is not an option.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Re: daughters color choice......and there you go! thanks for the smiles.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:30 PM

Has possibilities

Attached Thumbnails What color to paint my wheels-daughters-choice.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer
Has possibilities
It can't get any worse!!

(I hope.)

Old 10-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

That paint scheme would get you a moving violation ticket from our local authorities every time you took the car out for a drive. And rightly so....