S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What data is still stored regardless of disconnecting the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 PM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What data is still stored regardless of disconnecting the battery?

Few things I'm wondering about... when people get their TCU's reflashed, is that data stored into the TCU and kept there, regardless of a (long) battery disconnect? Also, transmission adaptive learning... is that data stored after a battery disconnect? And what about having the dealer program your S-Type to enable global close from the remote, is that kept after a battery disconnect?

And can someone explain how the adaptive learning works for our transmissions, how it's beneficial and all that jazz? (feel free to get technical)

And speaking of adaptive learning transmission, are there any other "whoh, that's advanced" things in our S-types I may not know about? JbB

Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I know the tranny loses everything it learnt.

AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!

Sorry but I'm not a fan of the adaptive learning feature. It's too easy for it to pick up bad driving behavior.

I prefer predictability.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-03-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Mostly it's only the PCM that has its data cleared on battery disconnect (a bit less of its data is cleared by an OBD clear). The TCM does not lose data on a battery disconnect (same for most other modules) .

(The trans on the 1999-2002 cars does not have a separate module as it's controlled by the PCM and thus of course loses its data.)

Because the PCM has to relearn in this situation you should expect some minor drivability issues.

The dealer can clear the TCM data, and I think it's also now done automatically if you have the TCM reflashed.

Dealer can also clear other modules.

I don't believe such as global open etc are lost on battery disconnect. (Window positions and a few other minor things are, so redo the process.)

The ZF TCM is always learning according to what you do (as well as what it sees its internals doing). It stores data for Sport and non-Sport modes.

More details have been posted before, might take a bit of Searching to find them, including parts of the tech manual posted by xjrguy.

Last edited by JagV8; 07-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
JbB

Hey, thanks for the info. What's the "feature" for adaptive learning transmissions? I've searched this site, and Google in general, for any information regarding adaptive learning shifting / transmission (not even Jaguar specific), but all sources point to troubleshooting stuff. What's it supposed to do as a "feature" over cars without it? I've formed my own idea, but I've never seen it explained anywhere. JbB

Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
The ZF TCM is always learning according to what you do (as well as what it sees its internals doing). It stores data for Sport and non-Sport modes.
And .. my experience is that it loses this when the battery is disconnected.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,925 Posts

It just is suppose to adapt to your style of driving. Without it the transmission shifts the same all the time. If you drive soft and easy then the tranny sees this and sets the shift points and other things to be smooth and slow.

Most guys on here are trying to wring out the most performance. So disconnecting the battery resets all the adaptions to zero. In other words the car must relearn you your habits. So they then drive the car hard so it will shift harder and at higher RPM's.

Now we need to understand this is a relatively small set of changes so don't expect to drop a full second off your 0-60 mph time!! But it can be a noticable difference. Just be aware that it's always learning so you might have to reset it from time to time.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Received 8,241 Likes on 4,971 Posts

The TCM adaptations can be cleared with WDS/IDS etc. The CD36 software required a 'coded access' with a 10 digit code and you needed to call Jaguar tech line to get an authorization code. Before that the GENRAD GDS 510 unit with TCM software from jaguar was shipped to the dealer and then sent back.

Later versions just cleared the adaptations without the 'coded access'. I have cleared adaptations with WDS version 43 many, many times after shift faults caused by low fluid levels. After the fluid level is corrected the gearbox still wants to shift the way it did with no fluid in the system. (slamming into gear??)
I guess it will eventually learn/adapt but it might take a long annoying time to get there.

The latest software upgrade is recommended as part of the 'clear adaptation' procedure.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
And .. my experience is that it loses this when the battery is disconnected.
You're clearing the PCM. If you think you're clearing the TCM either you've a faulty TCM (*) or you're fooling yourself due to the PCM being cleared.

Note motorcarman's comments i.e. that a special tool is needed to clear the TCM

(*) it uses non-volatile memory so this is extraordinarily unlikely

Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

OK then I'm fooling myself.

It shifts completely differently though so fortunately the car is being just as foolish.

Try it yourself sometime and see. Remember, I have a lot of experience with battery disconnects because of that GD Bosch battery incident.

You're clearing the PCM. If you think you're clearing the TCM either you've a faulty TCM (*) or you're fooling yourself due to the PCM being cleared.

Note motorcarman's comments i.e. that a special tool is needed to clear the TCM

(*) it uses non-volatile memory so this is extraordinarily unlikely

Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Gee, I FEEL like it shifts better...

Let's all hold hands and sing...

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

On the one hand we have a car owner and the other a very experienced jag tech and jag documents. I guess you believe what you like.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 AM
JbB

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks motor for the technical info you posted.

I typically leave Leona in sport mode as the default ('cuz I demand a sportier driving style), and that's worked well... I can still make the car be tame, it's just that you can feel the shifts between each gears. However, if I'm driving people around and wanna' give a limo type ride, I put it in normal and encourage smooth (power-lacking) shifts.

So from what I gather... adaptive learning's working towards helping each mode be a little more like I want. "Sport mode, stop shifting so soon, I ain't tryin'ta save gas!" and "Regular mode, you shift like I'm drivin' miss Daisy... Carry on.". That about right? And I take it the transmission don't have separate memory profiles, one for "seat memory 1" and one for "seat memory 2"? Tha'd be too cool if it did.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

On the one hand we have a car owner and the other a very experienced jag tech and jag documents. I guess you believe what you like.
Maybe there's more going on here between these modules than is revealed in the documentation?

I know what my cars does when I do this. It's like a refresh and any funny shifting patterns go away as well as few new ones (possible the base programming) reappear. Because of the congested area in which I live I happen to drive a lot locally at slow speeds in heavy traffic for weeks or longer at a time. That's a horrid learning environment.