S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do after you change battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi jim c64,
I really am trying.. but some things you all are asking for, I have no idea what it is..
so I'm trying to be very descrpitive... please ask me questions, and I will totally answer them the best that I can..

thank you all

Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Rebecca, please totally understand that you have some "heavy hitters" responding to your thread and posts. We are trying the best that we can in trouble shooting the problem or problems. Sometimes its very difficult being an "armchair quarterback", via the internet. Just look at the post counts of most of the guys that have responded.

I believe that your vehicle may need a trip to a Jaguar Dealer or a Jaguar Independant Mechanic at this point. Please don't take this advice as "a woman trying to join the good ole' boy network".

If and when you get this issue resolved, PLEASE report back so a fellow member may find helpful information.

Thank you

Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Thank you Rick.. I have no problem taking armchair crits...I just wish I could explain whats going on. But like I said b4 the car was great, it sat for a little, got the new battery, put gas in, now it won't start... cables are good... checked fuel thing for a spark, it was not giving any spark, so next was to checked the gas tank for any sound
nothing, put key in driver door, to set key? Did that, put key in ignition turned to let it set (b4) turned all the way, for 5 mins... then tried and watched pats, it was fine..
so like I said I'm lost. But the next step I'll take is to call dealership..

Thank you so very much Rick,
Have a great weekend
Rebecca

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1blondgal
checked fuel thing for a spark, it was not giving any spark
The bold print quote above does not make sense.

Fuel has nothing to do with spark at the spark plugs.

I wish I could help more, other than my post #22, sorry.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 PM

I didn't post that, but ok.. my mechanic friend said that... he stuck a rod like thing in a valve to see if there was a spark.. does that sound right?
I will call the dealer...
Thank you soooo very much for your help.
Rebecca

Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

That was probably a fuel rail valve to see if there was fuel pressure. This is a reasonable indication that the engine is getting some gas (at least). Not sure what else to offer.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

does he have a test light? check all the fuses in the trunk fuse box. thats where the fuel pump fuse and relay are. I dont know the number and am at home. so just check them all. The relays are the smaller yellow ones in the corner of the fuse box towards the battery. just swap them with each other. 1 is the fuel pump relay the other is the shifter interlock. many times a stype fuel pump will pop the fuse when its going/gone out, not always but worth a try. If he depressed the shrader valve on the fuel rail on the engine(looks just like a tire valve to put air in) and didnt get fuel this is the best/quickest indication of pump operation. The fuel pump will turn on for 1-2 seconds everytime you turn the ignition switch to the on position to pressurize the rail. If he depresses the shrader valve and you turn the key on and get a dribble or nothing you have a bad pump. if you find and replace the pump fuse and the pump works car starts. youre not done, it IS on its way out. replace the pump as soon as you can because it will leave you stranded again. Its pulling too many amps and pops the fuse, before too long it will do it everytime, or just goe out totally. I just put a pump in my customers 03 XJ with NOW 600 miles. She just doesnt drive the car and between badly flat spotted tires(second set) and 3 batteries, now a fuel pump she promises to take it out from the garage undercover and drive it. Sitting does kill differant things and my Suburban is testimant to this too as when I went to start it last year its fuel pump was out too frm sitting......Past this disconnect the battery, touch the cables together to do a hard reset of the computers on the car. Dont laugh, you have to reboot/restart our computers when they do stupid stuff too. The cars have alot of computer modules on them and they get stupid and lock up too.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 20,592 Likes on 8,295 Posts

"Car was fine before battery was replaced".
Has the "new" battery been checked yet?
Suggest you get a hygrometer and check each cell, there could be a bad 1 or more, it does happen. The hygrometer shows the strength of each cell...specific gravity.
This item is less than $10 and can be purchased at most auto stores
Good Luck

Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

You still have not answered the basic question; Does the engine turn over with the key? Is there any noise from the engine at all??

Could this be just a very simple problem? Have you checked that the fuel impact switch (inertia switch) has not been tripped?? It's very easy to reset. The access hole is up by the drivers foot area. A small cutout and inside there is a black box with a red button. Make sure to push that in a couple of times.

Unless your friend was laying on his back you can't put your ear close to the fuel tank. As has been said it's under your back seat. Also be careful when checking for spark. Modern ignitions need a load like a test light or you can blow out additional electrical parts. If your friend does not know Jaguars be very careful what he does. You can make things much worse if you don't understand the car!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to sound insulting but you are depressing the brake pedal while turning the key, correct?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Sorry eds- what does that do? I've never pressed mine while starting (?)

Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

1blondegal,
Ive been out walking my dogs, and I think that I may have mis-read & mis-understood your problem. Since the motor was running fine before you changed the battery, but won't start or run now but turns over (cranks) on the starter motor then there can be only one (or both) of two problems. Fuel &/or spark. The causes of this however, can be a little more complex. I'd put money on it being a computer generated problem (not a computer failure, don't panic). The BeCM monitors all the systems on your car, even when it is parked. If it thinks something is wrong (such as someone is trying to steal your car), it will shut down the fuel & ignition supply to the engine, making it impossible to start. They cannot be 'hot-wired'. If the computer thinks that PATS has been activated, you won't strat that car until you convince the computer otherwise. Read through the Owners Manual to see if there are any instructions as to how to manually reset the PATS using the key in the driver's door latch. If there isn't, then I'm afraid that you will have to get your local Jag dealer to do it using 'Testbook'. You could ask a mechanic whether they have 'Autologic' which is an aftermarket OBD II system for 'reading' automotive on board computers, but I'm not sure if Autologic can do this job.
The good news out of all this is that the problem is unlikely to be expensive to fix, merely a restting of the security monitoring process of the BeCM.
Cheers,
Languid
p.s. a photo wouldn't make any difference to me; I'm way to far away to swim after you!!

Old 12-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

If it's refusing to start for a security-type (PATS) issue it'll flash a code indicating which issue. Maybe she'll look and see and report.......

I'm not gonna say PATS here again!!!!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
If it's refusing to start for a security-type (PATS) issue it'll flash a code indicating which issue. Maybe she'll look and see and report.......

I'm not gonna say PATS here again!!!!

or ask for any codes again!!!!

Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

ok, the pats light goes on, then when I'm turning car over it goes off...
joycesjage, this all happend after I changed battery, the car was just fine b4.
yes he did, he put a little piece of rod/stick in fuel area to see if there was a spark
there was none, so he put his ear to gas tank to see if he could hear anything, nope.. didn't hear anything.
Ok joyces it seems like it is outta gas when I try to turn it on.. but the indicator says 46 miles to empty..
v8 engine.
thanks rick
rebecca
..I just wish I could explain whats going on. But like I said b4 the car was great, it sat for a little, got the new battery, put gas in, now it won't start... cables are good... checked fuel thing for a spark, it was not giving any spark, so next was to checked the gas tank for any sound
nothing, Rebecca
Originally Posted by joycesjag
The bold print quote above does not make sense.
tsk tsk Rick...all depends your perspective. If she was party to checking the fuel area for a spark, and it was not giving any spark...then it makes perfect sense to me she'd still be around to post the information (thank God!) teeHee.

Blondgal, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your kitty here on Christmas Eve. In your discussion above, I agree with Mikey that your friend was likely checking the schrader valve in the fuel rail - you said he found no spark - we think he wasn't looking for one, but rather for a squirt of fuel. So....did he find that? My guess is "not" since he next went to try and nuzzle-up next to the fuel tank (speculation again -but guessing he wanted to hear if the fuel pump was running)

IF I'm reading you right, it doesn't sound like you are getting fuel to the combustion chamber(s). In order to do that, you have to have some in the tank (I see you show "46 mi. to empty" and you also mention you put gas in) so you should be good there, AND your fuel pump must be operable (this may still be suspect) AND the control module must be satisfied that it has everything needed to activate the pump. Now...46 mi. only represents a couple of gallons...did you add gas to get it to that or AFTER you observed "46 Mi. to empty?" Is it parked on an incline? (Someone said Northern CA - you have hills there, as I recall - if you are that low on fuel it may be hiding from the pickup in the down-slope corner of the tank) If your friend has an OBDII device it would be helpful to have him scan your kitty for codes though since it hasn't run since you changed the battery, I doubt you'd have anything but P1000. Another stray thought...the fuel you added - you are certain it was good, fresh fuel with no chance of condensate in it, etc?

Best regards and Merry Christmas,
Zane

Last edited by aholbro1; 12-24-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Sorry eds- what does that do? I've never pressed mine while starting (?)
Oh wait....must have been thinking about the wife's Porsche....or maybe the Maxima I just checked out from work....or was that the Explorer...? I guess they are all starting to blend together.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM

When removing old battery the GI probably reset. The new battery might also lack ATD security circuit. If there ar both G and T the vehicle will never start again.

GI = Gremlin inhibitor
ATD = Awake Troll Detector

Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Hmmm. No feedback/update/further communication....hate that

Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Hmmm. No feedback/update/further communication....hate that
She asked this...

Is there a button to push after you change battery?
Once we disappointingly broke the news that a "battery change button" doesn't exist, she said...

I will call the dealer...
Thank you soooo very much for your help.
Rebecca
Blond, sarcastic and she even uses ellipses (triple periods), I think I'm in love...

Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM

I took it as being sincere and honest.............. Most of the ingrates wouldn't click the thanks button- she did.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
aholbro1 (01-02-2012), Bacardi 151 (01-02-2012)

Quick Reply: what to do after you change battery