S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you like/love about your S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012 | 09:41 PM
VMV

I love the looks and styling of the S, best looking sedan ever in my opinion. It performs well, handles great and gets pretty good fuel economy. My car has been very reliable and after 12 years and 96k miles the best car I have ever owned. Every trip in it puts a smile on my face.

Old 01-04-2012 | 02:04 PM

I love the look on her face when she drives it.

This was the car Laurie talked about since I met her. She refered to the "heart shaped grille" so I guess for her it was the styling. I was lucky to stumble across this one the way I did. Now that we have it I love it too. The interior is beautifully detailed and the Premium Alpine stereo kicks butt.

It will be interesting to see how these are treated in the next 10 or so years. The late 70s XJ 6s hold some collector value if you can find one not rusted away. Wandering around the local showroom last spring I didn't see any woodgrain or classic styling. Could the S Type be the last modern classic for Jag??

Old 01-04-2012 | 09:19 PM

I love the driver position, great seats, very clear sound system, and damn good power for a V6, always eager for spirited driving, and if driven smoothly its very quick in the turns. Flys thru traffic! I can go on forever about that car. I just wish I can get my hands on the V8 model. (S-Type nimble, XJ power)

Old 01-05-2012 | 06:53 AM

I love the handling and look of my 2006 model. Like most have said it is a joy to drive. I haven't had any probelms to date with mine so I'm quite happy so far with reliability as well.

Old 01-05-2012 | 12:10 PM
2003 STR 50K
Default Looove the Jag

Quick, fast, sharp handling, good looking, comfortable and classy. All the things I loved (and still love) about my wife. The cost of maintenance is table stakes.

Old 01-06-2012 | 01:08 PM

I too love the styling, hopefully now that Jaguar has new owners and looks like a better future they will revive some of the classic look in future models. Personally I prefer the s-type to newer more expensive models.

Old 01-06-2012 | 01:40 PM
|
Veteran Member

Agreed. I like that everyone recognises it as a Jag immediately. Even those who wouldn't know a Volvo from a VW know that it's a Jag (they just don't care)

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
By far the best bang-for-the-buck rear-wheel-drive highway cruiser sedan I could steal at the time (December 2008)....

Fantastic highway fuel economy that was totally unexpected and essentially discovered after the first couple of my wife's solo round-trips to Tampa and back....

Smooth ride, nicely appointed, relatively quiet....

And yes, it's still drop-dead gorgeous after all these years....
LOL and this coming from a owner ready to dump the car a couple yrs ago

The following users liked this post:
Hanna Louise Waite (06-01-2020)
Old 01-06-2012 | 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

I love the memory controls. My wife and I are down to one car, (we're both retired) and the dual memory is very nice to have since we swap driving. Just push the button and it's taken care of.

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Or have a key each and it uses the setting for the key as you unlock the car

(You just have to program it once per key - it's in the handbook I think.)

Old 01-07-2012 | 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Brutal,

Keep in mind that our S-Type was front-ended by a careless driver in a Ford pickup in August 2009, suffering what eventually turned out to be nearly $13,000 in repair costs. It came within a whisker of being totaled. As a result, I had good reason to consider dumping the car. Instead, I opted to give it six months after repairs were completed in order to decide whether it was worth keeping in our stable. Repairs turned out to be top-notch (I chose the best body shop in our neck of the woods in spite of the other guy's insurance company's continued attempts to steer me to one of their network shops), the car continues to perform for us, and I eventually decided that it was indeed worth keeping. To date, I'm glad I did....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-07-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2012 | 09:31 AM

lol, I know, just reffering to the fact that you now love the car, but there was a time...................
KInda like our kids going through their teens

Old 01-07-2012 | 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

So very true. I still cannot tolerate teenagers, and it's been nearly 18 years since our daughter was one....

Old 01-08-2012 | 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
By far the best bang-for-the-buck rear-wheel-drive highway cruiser sedan I could steal at the time (December 2008)....

Fantastic highway fuel economy that was totally unexpected and essentially discovered after the first couple of my wife's solo round-trips to Tampa and back....

Smooth ride, nicely appointed, relatively quiet....

And yes, it's still drop-dead gorgeous after all these years....
I'm with jon on this one. I was too was looking for a highway cruiser big enough for my family of four. I was driving a crown vic at the time and was looking to replace it with the same or something similar. When I bought mine at the time I got a fair deal (below blue book) and have had minor problems so far. The vehicle is paid off and has a year or so left for warranty; I do hope it continues to have only minor problem and I'm able to drive it for many years to come. I at times wish I would have gotten the bigger motor, but as I have other means to "go fast" I'm also think the 3.0 was a better investement for long-term cost/repair. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better

Rhett (03-23-2018)
Old 01-08-2012 | 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by watcher82
I at times wish I would have gotten the bigger motor, but as I have other means to "go fast" I'm also think the 3.0 was a better investement for long-term cost/repair. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better

I find the 3.0 a very capable performer that returns excellent fuel mileage for a luxury car. I also have other cars for smoking tires if I care to. Besides, with Lauries lead foot, the V6 is a safer choice.

Rhett (03-23-2018)
Old 07-29-2012 | 12:52 PM

What else matches the S-Type in style and beauty inside and out? Just get in and close the door. The solid feel is unmatched! Then look around the interior. It is just beautiful. I have two S-types and the 2002 Sport model (my wifes) has over 143,000 miles on it and runs/looks great! I have had no real problems with it and I can say the same for the 2006 that I drive. I too hope Jaguar comes back to it's senses and changes the standard look of it's new models back to a Jaguar that you can see coming from a mile away!!! I just love this car, can you tell???

Hanna Louise Waite (06-01-2020)
Old 07-29-2012 | 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

I love how fast the rear tires wear-out if you have a heavy foot on the gas/petrol pedal.
This way I can do my part in increasing the volume of tire sold at Tire Rack or NTB, so I can get a better price on the next set of performance tires.

Old 04-06-2014 | 06:07 PM
Default I have loved my S Types

I have only good things to say about my S types! Never had any problems other than normal maintenance.
I owned a 2000 and then bought a 2006 in the exact same color...Seafoam Green. Because I wanted another one while I could still get it. Before my Jags, I had a red BMW 325ES. I would have a new Jaguar now but I hate the new body types. I am now ready for a new car but just can't get excited about anything. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Old 04-06-2014 | 11:46 PM

It's most definitely the style....I fell in love with the car when I first seen it in a Sting video. The interior in my 08 is warming and relaxing, the dark wood grains, the mocha/ivory interior which compliments the Indigo blue exterior. The car has a classic look and it stands out in the crowd. You know it's a Jaguar. The new ones look like other cars on the road, have the same style front ends. The S type is a very elegant timeless car in my opinion and may be a sought after car years down the road as a collectors edition.

Old 04-07-2014 | 01:02 PM

My silver S type diesel XS 2007 is certainly the best car I have ever driven, the sheer power, presents on the road, drivability, quietness, interior comfort, consumption and looks make it stand out in the crowd amongst all the vehicles today that basically all look the same. I also can’t wait till I am in the driving seat again going on long journey.
Sheer joy.

Quick Reply: What do you like/love about your S-Type