S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to know before buying rims for s type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to know before buying rims for s type?

im planning on purchasing 17" - 20" rims when i buy my s type.

if its a normal s type, not 'R' will 17-20 inch rims fit it?

also, do jags use lug bolts or lug nuts? and is this the only thing you need to buy +center caps?

how much do lugbolts/lugnuts cost?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

The S came fitted with wheels up to 19" from the factory / dealer. I don't recall a 20" option until the XF. The XJ has had 20" available for a while. I mention that because the XJ and S both use a 5 x 108 bolt pattern. They use lug nuts, not bolts. It will depend on the wheel's lug recess on whether or not you could reuse the original nuts. You may want to get new solid ones since there have been some people here who have had some issue with the factory ones. Do a Forum search on lug nuts...There were some good posts in there that showed some of the alternatives. OK, back to the wheels. You can up-size pretty easy as long as you pay close attention to a few things. First of all is offset. I believe the S Type uses about a 38mm to 40mm offset. If the wheels have the wrong offset you could end up with wheels that either rub the fenders or the suspension. Tire Rack is a good source for information beyond their products. I would spend some time there. Another thing to consider when up-sizing is the tire size you will have to run. As you increase rim diameter you will have to decrease tire side wall. This is in order to maintain the correct outside diameter of the wheel/tire unit. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this, and a little lengthy to go into this early in your game. The last thing you will need to pay attention to is the hub diameter. If you go with factory fitted wheels this is not an issue. On aftermarket wheels they manufacture the hubs to a larger spec then use what is called "hub centric rings" to act as bushings to make up the difference. Not a big deal, and they work fine. Just don't forget them or you could end up with a really expensive problem. Hope that answers your questions. Read up. When it comes time after you've found your car, I'm sure a bunch of us will offer up our feelings on it.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 03 s-type with 20" wheels. I would not recomend anything over 19". It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am I usally bend one every couple months. The reason is the tire profile is so low there is not enough sidewall to cusion any bumps or pot holes. As soon as my tires wear out I'm buying smaller rims.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought that you already got your s-type?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Enthusiast the thread is from Oct. '09

Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Default 2000 S-Type Wheels/Tires

Just purchased a set(4) wheels and tires for my S-type. The wheels and tires are in excellent condition and are OEM from a Jag XF.

The wheels are 18" with 245/45/18 tires on them. Offset; bolt pattern perfect.
I think the overall size might be 1/2" larger than perfect. Has anyone tried squeezing this combination on their S-type, or am I worrying for nothing?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by just123123
Just purchased a set(4) wheels and tires for my S-type. The wheels and tires are in excellent condition and are OEM from a Jag XF.

I think the overall size might be 1/2" larger than perfect. Has anyone tried squeezing this combination on their S-type, or am I worrying for nothing?
It should be fine. Remember that the XF is a redo of the existing S Type platform and not exactly a "all new" design. That said, the bolt spacing will be correct. The tire size looks correct for an 18" wheel. An 18" Sport Package S Type comes with 245/40/18's so the 45 profile will have a slightly larger OD but will fit fine.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Let me know how that works out as far as the tire sizing. I was thinking about picking up an OEM XF set as well...

Oh and for the love of god, replace the lug nuts with solid ones, or you might have to deal with the nightmare I'm dealing with of one breaking. There's a thread about it.

Post up some pics if you don't mind. Good luck with the new wheels.

George

Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Let me know how that works out as far as the tire sizing. I was thinking about picking up an OEM XF set as well...

Oh and for the love of god, replace the lug nuts with solid ones, or you might have to deal with the nightmare I'm dealing with of one breaking. There's a thread about it.

George
Originally Posted by JOsworth
It should be fine. Remember that the XF is a redo of the existing S Type platform and not exactly a "all new" design. That said, the bolt spacing will be correct. The tire size looks correct for an 18" wheel. An 18" Sport Package S Type comes with 245/40/18's so the 45 profile will have a slightly larger OD but will fit fine.
Whew!

Thanks for the quick replies! I was a little worried...

androulakis: Problems with lug nuts? Is it because they get tightened too much? I'm going to do a thread search right now. Don't wanna lose these puppies on the interstate!
Osworth...I'll post some pics asap. I'm heading to Miami on the 21st so it'll be a few days after that. (After a little cruisin' and a round of golf of course!)
I'm also going to change a few other things too. Puttin' on the 'R' trunk lip spoiler and I'd like to get the outer ring of the grill paint color matched and clear coated similiar to the British racing green body. There are a couple of other minor cosmetic changes too. BUT, I want the car to look as natural as possible with only a few subtle changes. IMO, cars like these are ruined if there are too many modifications made to them. They're classics as soon as they leave the factory..... Can you tell I'm stoked?
I've not been this excited since I bought my first Vette and started relating experiences with other clubbers. Mere mortals just don't get it do they?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Whew!

Thanks for the quick replies! I was a little worried...

androulakis: Problems with lug nuts? Is it because they get tightened too much? I'm going to do a thread search right now. Don't wanna lose these puppies on the interstate!
Osworth...I'll post some pics asap. I'm heading to Miami on the 21st so it'll be a few days after that. (After a little cruisin' and a round of golf of course!)
I'm also going to change a few other things too. Puttin' on the 'R' trunk lip spoiler and I'd like to get the outer ring of the grill paint color matched and clear coated similiar to the British racing green body. There are a couple of other minor cosmetic changes too. BUT, I want the car to look as natural as possible with only a few subtle changes. IMO, cars like these are ruined if there are too many modifications made to them. They're classics as soon as they leave the factory..... Can you tell I'm stoked?
I've not been this excited since I bought my first Vette and started relating experiences with other clubbers. Mere mortals just don't get it do they?
PS:
OK Androulakis... I've read every reply in your lug nut post...YIKES....Please tell me what lug nuts you are buying/bought or recommend....CONSIDER MINE GONE. I just hope I have zero problems getting mine off.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah... Talk about a Nightmare...

Got it all sorted today. Ended up ruining a stock wheel! I'll post the experience on that thread. But I would replace them sooner rather than later.

As far as lugnuts, check the S-type lugnut thread.

My plans with my car are very similar to yours.

I did 19" aftermarket wheels, hid head and fog lamps. I want the STR spoiler, btw I found a place that has it for $217 painted.

Then add a moderate window tint, and the rest of my stereo and I'm done.

So far I have a Pioneer Avic D-3 double din nav/dvd unit, and MB Quart front component speakers. When the weather warms up a bit and I have time, a couple amps and a sub.

George

Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims and Offset

hey "androulakis" you mind telling us where you got that spoiler painted for $217?

can someone tell me the exact Offset and Bolt Pattern of the 2001 S type?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roving
hey "androulakis" you mind telling us where you got that spoiler painted for $217?

can someone tell me the exact Offset and Bolt Pattern of the 2001 S type?
Painted Spoiler:

http://www.spoilerdepot.com/spoilers...pe/item-23123/

Factory wheels for S-Type are all et 60 except for the 19x9.5 rear which is et 49

I had 19x8.5 aftermarket all around, et 42 and the lip of the wheel was dead even with the top of the fender. Anything but a stretched tire will rub in the back.

I just bought a set of staggered 06 S-type R wheels even the 18x9.5 rear is et 60.

All S-type wheels are 5x108mm or 5x4.25 bolt pattern. The jaguar uses a hubcentric wheel and the hub bore is 64.1mm. IF the wheel bore is different you need hubcentric rings, otherwise you will have vibration issues.

George

Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Default Updated Pictures

Originally Posted by androulakis

George
OK
Here she is. 18" & PERFECT! The new wheels/tires are perfect! I love this car.

p.s.
The OEM 16" are for sale.
Replace the factory lug nuts. They came off ok and better safe then sorry.

Attached Thumbnails What to know before buying rims for s type?-1cwjag1.jpg   What to know before buying rims for s type?-2cwjag2.jpg  

Last edited by just123123; 04-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Be aware that spoiler is for the early 2003-2004 STR. Slightly different on the 2005 and up. Easy way to tell is the late model one does NOT extend beyond the trunk lid edge. The early ones do. Like the picture from the spoiler place.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,216 Posts

just123123, looking really good!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

OK

p.s.
WOW! Those look waaaay better than I thought they would. Actually they look better on the S than they do on the XF!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

They look different to but fairly like the stock 18" Zeus wheels fitted to STRs etc.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

They do look pretty good, even though the tires are taller than spec'd for the original S-Type 18" fittment.

Do the front wheels rub on the inner fender liner at full lock?

George

Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

OK

p.s.
Very nice, very nice. So are you having any problems with those tires? Any rubbing when turning the wheel or touching the wheel well in the rear when going over big bumps?

George: Did you ever get new lugs?

Quick Reply: What to know before buying rims for s type?