S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are some compliments/stories about your s type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some compliments/stories about your s type?

I haven't purchased my s type yet, still looking but when I'm with my friends almost everyone's head turns. I've gotten pulled over with him two times by police..

Jags are amazing, an average person on the street thinks that any jag is worth like $80k+ and they look at jags up there with bentley's.

Post your stories?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm going to be brutal here.....If you are looking to get a Jaguar so the world thinks your driving an 80k car you will just end up disappointed. People that get these cars as a piece of jewelry will always be complaining when even the smallest thing breaks. Now if you are ready to deal with the quirks while enjoying your ride, then that will work...

My story is this. I got a Jaguar because I wanted a nice rear drive car as a family car since I had to stop driving coupes. I love the interior and performance. Some recent "quality" issues had me looking at replacements. While I still might replace it, bottom line is every day I commute to work in it, I love to be in my car. Not much out there will measure up....(well maybe another model Jag...)

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Adding to Jeff's comments: I've gotten quite a bit of compliments on how nice my S-Type is. When asked how much I paid for it, they are amazed since most guessed it was more than double what I actually paid for it. Like Jeff, I got it because it is a great family car for my wife and I. It drives extremely well and is surprisingly economical on the highway, around 30-32 mpg. I have had two previous Jaguars so I was aware of some of the reliability issues Jaguar had. The 2005 and later S-Types are fairly reliable as compared to others in its class. I would strongly recommend getting one with the Select Edition warranty. It has saved me several thousand dollars so far.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Adding to Jeff's comments: I've gotten quite a bit of compliments on how nice my S-Type is. When asked how much I paid for it, they are amazed since most guessed it was more than double what I actually paid for it. Like Jeff, I got it because it is a great family car for my wife and I. It drives extremely well and is surprisingly economical on the highway, around 30-32 mpg. I have had two previous Jaguars so I was aware of some of the reliability issues Jaguar had. The 2005 and later S-Types are fairly reliable as compared to others in its class. I would strongly recommend getting one with the Select Edition warranty. It has saved me several thousand dollars so far.
I agree that people don't realize how cheap these cars are to acquire second hand. I've had people at work who drive 30k+ suv's make comments about how I must be "rich" etc...

However like all have said, these cars can be costly to maintain especially if you don't or can't DIY.

I don't know how you guys are getting that kind of mileage out of your cars. I can barely eek out 21-22 mpg average on mine with the 3.0, in a mix of 50/50 city - highway driving. Granted I have a bit of a heavy foot but I didn't think I was THAT bad lol...

George

Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I agree that people don't realize how cheap these cars are to acquire second hand. I've had people at work who drive 30k+ suv's make comments about how I must be "rich" etc...

However like all have said, these cars can be costly to maintain especially if you don't or can't DIY.

I don't know how you guys are getting that kind of mileage out of your cars. I can barely eek out 21-22 mpg average on mine with the 3.0, in a mix of 50/50 city - highway driving. Granted I have a bit of a heavy foot but I didn't think I was THAT bad lol...

George
Hi George,

Normally I will average about 20 mpg during a week which includes local driving and crappy DC traffic. The 30-32 mpg is strictly highway mileage, so you're not that bad

Mike

Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi George,

Normally I will average about 20 mpg during a week which includes local driving and crappy DC traffic. The 30-32 mpg is strictly highway mileage, so you're not that bad

Mike
Oh ok so then I don't feel that bad
i'm actually typing this from my new iPhone . Still getting used to it but it's nice to be able to reply via the phone!

George

Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, took a nice drive east of Salem, Oregon up into the Cascade mountains and stopped in at a mountain cafe that overlooks the Santiam river. The waitress asked if that was my Jag. She said, what a beautiful car and that she would love a ride around the block! I bought my Jag after owning a 94 Cadillac SLS that I loved. It was just too big in the Portland traffic and I wanted a car that would equal its ride and yet turn on a dime, get better mileage and have great looks. The Jag surpasses it by a long shot. Yes, people think I spent thousands for it. Guess that's their perception. Love the car, love driving it, washing it and staring at it!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My comments/opinions mirror the above for my 2003 3.0L. The best mileage I have been able to achieve was 30 mpg on a highway trip to Bradenton, FL at 75-80 with one burst to 100+ mph.

I bought mine because of Jaguar's long, rich history of making affordable speed and luxury. So far, mine has had impeccable reliability. I have had minimal problems with mine at 65k miles and am currently driving it every day. I chose the 3.0L because I believe that the 3.0L will put less strain on the 6HP26 ZF transmission than a 4.2 engine. I have also heard that the 3.0 L is a pretty reliable mill.

I love having a rear-wheel drive car and am hoping to add another one to my collection. I will drive no other car at this point.

Last edited by FloridaJag; 06-06-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

King, thought I would post this for you to read. It was from 9/2009 but a fun read!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=type+stories