S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trim do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 04:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What trim do I have?

Can anyone help me with the nomenclature of interior trim? I'm looking for a new shifter surround and I've found out "wood grain" isn't enough of a description and some of the pictures online are hard to decipher. Is anyone familiar with the names of the different options? I'm hoping this is even available in the manual transmission style since my car didn't come with one from the factory. My is very pale with almost a hint of green.

You can see the replacement one I got is a much warmer color. I found metallic version that looks really, really nice but I wasn't to enamored with the idea of changing ALL the trim.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

Looks like mine. Champagne or barlet seats. Birdseye maple trim. It is hard to find used and crack free. I have been looking for four years for a nice surround. Some members have found excellent results with a recover expert but i do not know the specifics

Old 03-06-2021, 01:03 AM
jya
Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Yours is an X202.
Pretty sure the whole way through X202 production most markets (if not all at the time) only offered two official veneer options: "Grey stained birds eye maple" and "Bronze stained birds eye maple". STR's came standard with the grey. The interior trim colour was then known as "Sand". I think the same shade was known as "Oatmeal" in the X350 around the same time.

Pretty sure the "Grey stained birds eye maple" was still offered in the X204 but by that stage the "Bronze stained birds eye maple" was finally dropped. "Bronze stained Madrona" and "Aluminium" made an appearance at X204 stage. The beige interior became about half a shade darker and name changed to "Champagne". The lighter "Ivory" interior trim I think was alive through all the designs run.
By X206, only "Aluminium" seemed to survive in some markets with "Bronze stained Sapele", "Burr walnut" and "Satin Mahogany" as fresh appearances but not seemingly available in all markets.

So that gives you all the possible options that may be out there but most would be for the auto box.
Hard to tell from your photo what you've ended up with. As scottjh9 said you will need the "Grey stained birds eye maple" which is in your car. Your photo shows the window trim surrounds in what is probably birds eye maple veneer. Interior matching plastic surrounds were standard in the X202. And I don't think the factory ever stained the birds eye window surrounds found in the X200 in "Grey", only in "Bronze". Although they would be very rare, the surrounds would exist in the burr walnut as well, found in the last run X206.

Most important point to note is that the grey colour that was used to stain the birds eye veneer would have well and truly 'bleached' by now. No longer look grey but more closer to the original bronze offered!
That part of the veneer sees plenty of sun and won't be too easy to find one to exactly match.
You do have the expensive option of re-veneering everything you have!

Old 03-06-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 645 Likes on 505 Posts

If you have the original surround, you can always send it here to be professionally refinished with OE type materials:

https://britishautowood.com/

The owner is a Welsh ex-pat and does excellent work.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jya
Yours is an X202.
Pretty sure the whole way through X202 production most markets (if not all at the time) only offered two official veneer options: "Grey stained birds eye maple" and "Bronze stained birds eye maple". STR's came standard with the grey. The interior trim colour was then known as "Sand". I think the same shade was known as "Oatmeal" in the X350 around the same time.

Pretty sure the "Grey stained birds eye maple" was still offered in the X204 but by that stage the "Bronze stained birds eye maple" was finally dropped. "Bronze stained Madrona" and "Aluminium" made an appearance at X204 stage. The beige interior became about half a shade darker and name changed to "Champagne". The lighter "Ivory" interior trim I think was alive through all the designs run.
By X206, only "Aluminium" seemed to survive in some markets with "Bronze stained Sapele", "Burr walnut" and "Satin Mahogany" as fresh appearances but not seemingly available in all markets.

So that gives you all the possible options that may be out there but most would be for the auto box.
Hard to tell from your photo what you've ended up with. As scottjh9 said you will need the "Grey stained birds eye maple" which is in your car. Your photo shows the window trim surrounds in what is probably birds eye maple veneer. Interior matching plastic surrounds were standard in the X202. And I don't think the factory ever stained the birds eye window surrounds found in the X200 in "Grey", only in "Bronze". Although they would be very rare, the surrounds would exist in the burr walnut as well, found in the last run X206.

Most important point to note is that the grey colour that was used to stain the birds eye veneer would have well and truly 'bleached' by now. No longer look grey but more closer to the original bronze offered!
That part of the veneer sees plenty of sun and won't be too easy to find one to exactly match.
You do have the expensive option of re-veneering everything you have!
Holy crap! Thanks! It sounds like I have the grey stained birds eye maple. I'll try using that to narrow my search. I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
If you have the original surround, you can always send it here to be professionally refinished with OE type materials:

https://britishautowood.com/

The owner is a Welsh ex-pat and does excellent work.
The issue here is the original one was for an automatic and I now need one for a manual transmission. If I were to have these refinished I'd probably go carbon with everything or something dark to compliment the dash.
​​

Old 03-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

Take a look at these. The middle might be it. Stamped x202 on back. Pm me if interested. I have a 2006 str. Hence mine is x206 after the gray maple

Last edited by scottjh9; 03-06-2021 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Add