S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts
Default What is this and what does it do?

Hey all, I posted this in the Hints Tips & Tricks thread but I think it got lost being the last post. So I thought I'd bring it up in a new thread.

Here are two pictures of the alleged "WOT" switch I'm talking about. You can see that on the back side of the throttle arm is a paddle that pushes the button in a true FULL WOT. The button itself is kind of hard to push. One of the pictures you can read the numbers for the pedal position sensor, the WOT switch IS attached to that sensor.

Can someone please look this up and explain WHAT that switch does and if it is truly a WOT switch or if is just a mechanical (you are floored to the max) physical reminder? Please read the past few post in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-61017/page2/ starting at post #28 to get caught up if you are just now tuning in. lol

Thanks all.

EDIT: I looked up the number and it comes back as just a 04 JAG S TYPE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. No detailed info that I can find.
Attached Thumbnails

Edit: Here, I paint shop an arrow...

Attached Thumbnails What is this and what does it do?-wot1-1.jpg  

Last edited by SchultzLD; 10-20-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not really seeing a switch in those pics unless I'm blind. If it says accelerator pedal then the big black box is probably all the electronics to send the signal to the throttle body to open and close and wear to position. We have an electronic throttle body so its not driven by a wire so this is probably just the control box on the accelerator pedal. Unless I'm blind and there is a switch that you are getting at that I'm not seeing.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Oh yea sry, kindof a bad picture less you know what your looking for. The button I'm talking about has a blue ring around it. Craw up under yours and check it out. YOu can push it in with your finger, a bit hard but you'll know what I'm talking about. If you read my posts in the other thread I've done some but dyno test and it makes a difference...

Edit: I've added a paint shop arrow in the picture on first post.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 10-20-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I wonder if it is the switch to open up the airbox flap? But I don't know if a 3.0 has that flap or not, so maybe not.

I dunno. Could be some type of over-extension stopper I suppose.

I am obviously guessing - hope ya don't mind! Now I'm curious too....

Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM

lol I hear you. But no we do not have the flap...I'm sure that someone sooner or later will know just what that is.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,542 Likes on 3,951 Posts

Here's an overall answer: disconnect the APP and match the wires going towards the rest of the car with the electrical guide (Fig 03.1 for your car I think). Find any extra wires? If not, you at least know the actual pedal sensors match the elec guide and there's no WOT electrical switch. Then you're just trying to figure out whatever it is you're wondering about (I can't make head nor tail out of the pic). Probably it's some sort of physical end-stop (likely with no elec connection).

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Ok I see now. Yea I dont know what that actually does. I can't look at mine either as my STR is in the body shop right now. Should hopefully get it back tomorrow so I can look at it then.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
lol I hear you. But no we do not have the flap...I'm sure that someone sooner or later will know just what that is.
WHOA!! Stop the presses...... it's really pretty simple. That little buggar is only there to provide some physical feedback to your foot. It harkens back to the earlier days when the last bit of pedal travel also pulled on the trans detent cable and offered a little more resistance. That little button can't be had separately, but is can be wiggled some and will pop out. Then you can see just what it is. Then it will pop right back in.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
SchultzLD (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Thank you so much. This was buggin me so bad. But now we have the truth. lol I guess the kick down I felt was just from the extra travle like JagV8 was same... max app or what ever... ca;t remember clearly now as I've been drinking for the last 4 housr but he'll know what I mean.

But thx again. At least we know now

Old 10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,542 Likes on 3,951 Posts

L O L

yep, that's it, they saved fitting an actual switch and its wire