S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with BMW drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What's with BMW drivers?

I've only had the STR forabout 6 weeks and I have never had this many BMW drivers on my rear end in all my life. Is there some type of silent competition they have with Jags I don't know about. 3-series, 5 series, M's... you name them... I've seen more BMW grills kissing my rear end then I care for. This never happened in any of the muscle cars I've owned/driven.

Fortunately though, the few times I decided to create some space they weren't there much longer.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Line them up and show them what the R can do

Old 05-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
I've only had the STR forabout 6 weeks and I have never had this many BMW drivers on my rear end in all my life. Is there some type of silent competition they have with Jags I don't know about. 3-series, 5 series, M's... you name them... I've seen more BMW grills kissing my rear end then I care for. This never happened in any of the muscle cars I've owned/driven.

Fortunately though, the few times I decided to create some space they weren't there much longer.
Hahaha..ain't that the truth! I noticed that when I drove the STR from CA to AZ right after I bought it. It was fun leaving them in the dust wondering what the hell that was in front of them. lol. Enjoy!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What's with BMW drivers?
ENVY!
Jaguar have a racing pedigree going back a long way. BMW don't.
Jaguar have never made an un-pretty car. BMW have.
A 1960s Jaguar in good condition is worth a fortune, esp. E-type. BMW? You can answer that yourself.
Leedsman.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have an R Model - Mine is a VDP. However, shortly after I got it, I had an idiot in a BMW try to pass me on a one lane interstate on - ramp. I just punched it, and, left him behind. Even without a supercharger, the VDP is no slouch.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The STR's looks are menacing and all business. To a BMW the STR has a similar aggressive look and stance as the Mercedes Benz Kompressor V-8's. Bimmers are nervous around STR's, and rightfully so. They may out handle an out of the box STR but they don't have enough mid and top end punch to take out the STR. When I set us up with this tuner I'm working on, you all won't have any problems with the bimmers...not that you have much now.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have an STR, just a basic 2000 V-8, but I still get this occasionally. I used to get it all the time in my Maserati Biturbo (which is a very unassuming looking car, except for the huge 'MASERATI" script taking up half of the trunk lid, which apparently Bimmer owners took as a challenge). Much as I love my S-Type, I have to say that the Maser used to seriously leave the Bimmers in the dust -- probably much like your STR. But now I have to be satisfied with only leaving them in the dust, with my lowly non-supercharged V-8 (I always keep the transmission in "sport" on the freeway, for better emergency passing, and this helps greatly with putting distance between me and tailgaters as well). There's something about Bimmer owners that makes them think the money they spent automatically makes them skilled motorists; but they largely seem to be just neurotic drivers, constantly tailgating and randomly changing lanes without any real plan or foresight. No finesse.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well well well, I'm surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be, to see bimmer drivers on your side of the pond are just as bad as the ones over here in the UK. Hee Hee, they just don't know what they're dealing with, against a Jag, they have no chance on an R, I just leave 'em eating my dust at every opportunity! :-)

Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Riski
Line them up and show them what the R can do
You know I enjoy it, but in my old age (getting close to 30 ) I'm simply past the point of weaving in and out of traffic on a busy highway to prove my superiority. I don't mind getting into the triple digits if traffic, and weather conditions permit, but be a gentlemen about it. Tailgaiting sucks and is annoying, and 10 years ago I was enough of a twerp to slam on my brakes if it happened.

These Beemer drivers seem to have a touch of Peter Pan in them.

Just to be fair though, a guy in a 550i gave me a thumbs up after a friendly game of tag on the street a few nights ago. Those things are beastly.

I wonder why I never get this much action when I'm in the Grand National!!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

****, I am gonna be 32 and I dont mind showin my *** of my car to a few people often! This is the same car I drive in 2 ft of snow....all yr round.....

Old 05-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lool! I have a solution for this.

I hear if you light a fart on fire it makes a big bomb, so do that with your jag!!! That will leave them stinky and in the dust!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by King
Lool! I have a solution for this.

I hear if you light a fart on fire it makes a big bomb, so do that with your jag!!! That will leave them stinky and in the dust!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
These Beemer drivers seem to have a touch of Peter Pan in them.
Do you mean that they like fairies & wearing tights?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here in UK, BM drivers were regarded with some contempt, but since the persistent crack-down on dangerous 'tailgating' by the police (and rightly so in my opinion) there does seem to be far fewer 4-wheeled hooray Henrys around nowadays. For some minorities, BM has become a bit of a status symbol, but they are not incompetently driven. We now have "white van man" for that. And that's usually down to too much pressure.
Leedsman.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive about 90 miles a day commuting and without fail at some point I pick-up a "butchers hammer" in his BMW sniffing my STR's backside (not far behind are Mercedes drivers). Often I let them pass and as they drive by you can see them rubber necking to take a gander inside the STR to glimpse a world they so wish to join.

I feel sorry for them really as they don't know any better and remember, friends don't let friends drive BMW's

Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

djdex said just about what I was gonna say!

They're the same over here (and irritatingly enough, Audi drivers too)
However, there is nothing better than knowing you're in a far superior vehicle.

As a foot note, I'd like to to mention, that between 65 and 90 (MPH) the ******* in the M3 behind me the other night, either, could not drive, his car was wanting some sort of attention or he was a dullard. . . I'll go for all of the above.

And mine's only a diesel. The torque is freakin fantastic :-D

Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RobGardnerBlack
I drive about 90 miles a day commuting and without fail at some point I pick-up a "butchers hammer" in his BMW sniffing my STR's backside (not far behind are Mercedes drivers). Often I let them pass and as they drive by you can see them rubber necking to take a gander inside the STR to glimpse a world they so wish to join.
This is funny enough to be sig worthy.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

My post on another thread, still applies to 80% of Bimmer owners:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...3&postcount=25

Again, I like BMW engines, I like their race cars, and I respect their engineering and most of their M cars. I very seriously consider buying one. Unfortunately, here in California, BMW is the "Official Car of the 405, 110, & 101 Freeways." That you find at least 20 in every parking lot makes them Boring Motor Werks, but it's the "chip on their shoulder" wannabe owners that ultimately give them a bad rap.

Here's a good story comparing Jaguar vs. BWM owners:

A Jaguar owner notices that his neighbor has just pulled up his drive in a newly purchased BMW M5 sports sedan. The Jaguar owner smiles and says, "Nice car. Congratulations!" Then walks into his home.

The BMW owner is left stunned, perplexed, and beside himself.

Three months later, the new BMW owner notices his neighbor pulling up in a newly purchased Jaguar XF-R. The Jaguar owner smiles and waves. The BMW owner turns his chin up, looks down his nose in envy, frowns and bites the inside of his cheek, shifting from depressed, then insecure, then frustrated, to pure angry in 4.3 seconds, and attempts a snarky remark when suddenly, his bluetooth falls out of his ear and he trips as he tries to pick it up, so he slips on the grass and hits his head on a sprinkler. The Jaguar owner runs over and offers to help him up. The Bimmer owner screams, "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

The Moral of the Story? The Jaguar owner is a happy man, and his car is just a reward. The Bimmer owner is profoundly sad, so he bought a Bimmer to 'make' him happy. But 'happy' is not something you can buy."

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 06-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM

*link edited*

Last edited by ChrisSTR; 08-02-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
What's with BMW drivers?
ENVY!
Jaguar have a racing pedigree going back a long way. BMW don't.
Jaguar have never made an un-pretty car. BMW have.
A 1960s Jaguar in good condition is worth a fortune, esp. E-type. BMW? You can answer that yourself.
Leedsman.
Except for the XF and the new XJ. The 1960's Jaguars were my favorites.

Quick Reply: What's with BMW drivers?