S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with BMW drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow this thread really took off / struck a nerve. Man, well I do agree with the fact that ALOT of Bimmer drivers pilot like jerks therefore becoming dangerous. I have had plenty race up to me from a distance, they must have gotten a glimpse and wanted to either race, see what i was driving, or both. I always spot them in the rearview weaving in and out of cars to get to where I'm at. Well, I can honestly say that once they hear my STR's exhaust, R badges, and overall menacing appearance, they back off. Even if they catch me at a stop light, side by side, they wait for me to accelerate first. This is suprising being in Boston, land of the most aggresive drivers known to man.

If I spot an M3 new 335i or older M5 on the highway, we will sniff each other out a bit, but have never run one. Those are the only ones I would risk a speeding ticket over, not the debadges 325's.

I must say, around here, its not the bimmer drivers who are the A holes, its the guys with the brand new F-150's, Rams etc. They love riding people behinds, then STOMP it to the floor, using about 13 gallons of fuel as they pass. Tailgating is one of my biggest pet peeves, its dangerous as hell, no legitimate point or advantage to it, and infuriates me beyond belief. Sorry for the rant, just got home a little while ago from a horrible commute...

Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic_Engr

"Everytime you drive, ASSUME that 80% of the drivers around you are simply STUPID.

Makes it easier to drive DEFENSIVELY, doesn't it?"
You don't need to assume a darn thing. It's right there in your face non-stop. I might like to raise that 80% too!

Last night I saw a guy jump onto a busy 4 lane undivided road and proceed as though he just sat down in a comfy couch in his living room and was looking for the TV remote on the seat somewhere as a bunch of us slammed on our brakes to avoid him. His focus was on anything BUT the serious and potentially dangerous task of driving.

That's the trouble. Too many people don't give the job of driving serious enough attention and have never really learned how to drive well not just for themselves but for everyone on the road. Which is really the same thing. Most don't drive purposefully either.

Bob S.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I might like to raise that 80% too!

Yep - about 100% should cover it!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bimmers are all piece of **s just like the drivers who operate them. i was driving was, and there was an opening for people to make right turns and come into my lane. bimmer driver, without signaling just comes in front of me. i pull down my window and say 'your not going in front of me' hes on his bluetooth acting all cool. in the end i went in front of him. ****ing b*****d.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No. Bimmers are not crap. I have owned them and while they require an obscene amount of maintenance, when running right they are a wonder.

At my age I don't want the harshness, the time at the shop nor do I want the stigma associated with BMW ownership. Everybody has one and few know how to drive them properly.

Let's not be silly here, okay?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After I'd thought I'd seen everything in all the years I've been driving - last weekend, while on the interstate, one of our local bottom-feeders was cruising along at 75, and, throwing young kittens out the window of his car. We called the state police and reported the incident - I hope they got him.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, the title of this thread is like throwing red meat to the lions for some folks.

Which models have given you so many "maintenance joys"? ;>)

If you enjoy how a car performs and know when something isn't at it's optimum then any brand of car is going to be some work. The more highly tuned ones are always going to be more effort.

As a new owner of a STR I am hoping that this model has less of that and sets a nice balance of spirited driving and perhaps not as high maintenance as say a M3 or M5. But the Brembo brakes alone mean it's not going to be the same as my Sable wagon.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
No. Bimmers are not crap. I have owned them and while they require an obscene amount of maintenance, when running right they are a wonder.

At my age I don't want the harshness, the time at the shop nor do I want the stigma associated with BMW ownership. Everybody has one and few know how to drive them properly.

Let's not be silly here, okay?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol cmon now lets be honest we maintain our Jags as much as Bmw owners maintain their beemers, and I must say i am a 7 series fan, a huge one since '97 and God knows I'd love to have a 98 750Li , sure some bmw drivers are idiots but still bmw is one of the few automakers left that still gives you the sheer driving pleasure. And I just beat a X5 4.8is on my way home today ;-)

Old 08-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I have seen a couple of BMWs whose drivers going like rocket but I would not call BMW Drivers insane . I drove 7 Series too . It was riding like a dream but God that was very ugly car .
So, please let's stop name calling whould you like if bimmer drivers called Jaguar Drivers grandpa,old timer,lawn driver and such things ?

It's not about the car itself it's about the driver and I believe those bimmer drivers would not change their behaviors no matter what brand they do drive

Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

I had a 535 that was actually pretty good. The M3 was a nightmare (returned under the California lemon law), it was in the shop 5 times in 3 months for a bad transmission (they tried to give me a rebuilt unit in a brand new car, I said no!), bad rear-end and a bad computer. My 745Li had a bad computer and a bad rear-end (this was the replacement to the M3). It too was given back to the dealership after only a few months. Will never own a BMW again.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont like bimmer drivers. never will. they always ram up your car behind and area always trying to cut you off. lets say theres a red light stop and both of you stop. bimmer is on the right side, and cars are parked up ahead. he screeches his tires just to get ahead of you. is that really necessary?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Default I found some decent pictures from a car show.

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
You still have your Biturbo and it still runs? Got pics????

I took a while to get back to youy but here you go:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/ev...173&catID=1295

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/ev...212&catID=1650

I bought it new and had the dealer put the "E" equipment on the car sans rear head rests. I also put 15" (big wheels back then LOL) wheels on it and I made a ton of modifications to this car. But the engine internals are stock everything else has been modified though.

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 09-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

BMW drivers can be a real PITA generally speaking, but not all!
I've seen some real idiots in Porsches / Audi's / Jags for that matter. Please lets try as far as possible not to stereotype people beacuse of the car they drive.
After all, how many of you get looks and remarks cos you have a Jag as if you MUST have a pile of money somewhere?? Mostly speaking, thats not true either is it?....lol

This is a friendly forum and whilst a Jaguar forum, we like to think of ourselves as general car enthusiasts too!

Note - We all have our views and opinions and please feel free to voice them. However, if they are not toned down and really "out there" with feeling, they will be removed. Any REAL hardcore bashing of ANY brand from ANY will be dealt with by a ban!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So many motoring forums have a thread complaining about BMW and BMW drivers. Maybe it's not just a stereotype? lol

As a lover of British cars and especially the classic Mini, I hate BMW just because of what they did to the British motor industry. Well..... that, bad management and the Unions!!!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

After all, how many of you get looks and remarks cos you have a Jag as if you MUST have a pile of money somewhere?? Mostly speaking, thats not true either is it?....
If I had a pile of money before, the Jags cured me of that bad habit. When I bought my first one, a '90 XJ6, my boss wanted to know where I kept the Grey-Poupon.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by mycaptainchris
As a lover of British cars and especially the classic Mini, I hate BMW just because of what they did to the British motor industry. Well..... that, bad management and the Unions!!!!!
Don't forget crazy government tax policies, preventing investment.

Ahh, those were the days.......

Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,924 Likes on 8,412 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Don't forget crazy government tax policies, preventing investment.

Ahh, those were the days.......

We'll have those here starting next year

Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

I only revived this thread to answer a request for some photos. Sorry if it got all the juices going again. I totally agree.

But does this mean we can't even beatup on Trabants and Yugos?
Aw gee ...

Bob S.

Originally Posted by JimC64

Any REAL hardcore bashing of ANY brand from ANY will be dealt with by a ban!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there Staatsof, I really don't think that any of us mind a bit of "good natured ribbing" even maybe, "poking a little fun" at some other marques if done in a light hearted way as one car enthusiast talking about another.
Generally, its like anything else on the forums, before you post up, think, how would I react if someone was saying that about me / my car?
Its the REAL hatred / name calling etc that needs to stop.

Other than that, enjoy the forum and have fun

Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I took a while to get back to youy but here you go:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/ev...173&catID=1295

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/ev...212&catID=1650

I bought it new and had the dealer put the "E" equipment on the car sans rear head rests. I also put 15" (big wheels back then LOL) wheels on it and I made a ton of modifications to this car. But the engine internals are stock everything else has been modified though.

Bob S.
Damn Bob, what a trip down memory lane! It`s gorgeous. I really miss that car....

Quick Reply: What's with BMW drivers?