S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats going on guys, LS owner bridging the gap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats going on guys, LS owner bridging the gap.

I dont think Ive seen any S-type owners on LS or Tbird forums so I figured I come over here and see if we can swap knowledge or just shoot the ****. Anywho, I have a 2005 Lincoln LS with the 3.9L version of your 4.0 or 4.2, 1mm less stroke and less variable, VVT. I have a couple mods done but as Im sure you know there isnt much as far as "off the shelf" components. Cold air intake, ported throttle body, ported throttle body neck, cat back exhaust, I have a tuner but havent gotten around to creating a tune yet and I have a TCI Streetfighter 3000rpm torque converter. Im going to be swapping to the first generation LS' rear IRS pumpkin and axles which we have seen can take the Ford 8.8 LSD devices with factory gears from the LS' 8.0. Ill be lurking the forums and reading up on what all you enthusiasts have done and see about compatibility between the two since they share the same DEW98 platform.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 AM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Missing Linc,
Welcome to Jaguar forums. Its funny but I started visiting the LVC forums recently and joined. In my opinion, the LS forum is more performance oriented but recently more of our S Type members are pursuing very high levels. Check out the engine and suspension sections. There are a lot of very sharp people here and at LVC.
I was particularly intrigued by the paddle shifter conversion, not sure if it would work on the S Type. It will be great to have more infomation sharing between LS and S-Type enthusiasts.
best regards, VMV

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Welcome, I'm sure your insight will be appreciated. There are often questions posed here concerning just how similar or different the S-Type and LS actually are. The consensus seems to be that the later the model year, the more differences between the two. I don't claim to know but I'm always interested in saving money on parts where I can so it would be great to know how much our 2005 S-Type 3.0 has in common with the 2005 LS....

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

since they share the same DEW98 platform
Started out from the DEW98 - but share, particularly by 2005? I'll be reading with interest. An LSD has been asked about several times especially for the STR.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VMV
Hi Missing Linc,
Welcome to Jaguar forums. Its funny but I started visiting the LVC forums recently and joined. In my opinion, the LS forum is more performance oriented but recently more of our S Type members are pursuing very high levels. Check out the engine and suspension sections. There are a lot of very sharp people here and at LVC.
I was particularly intrigued by the paddle shifter conversion, not sure if it would work on the S Type. It will be great to have more infomation sharing between LS and S-Type enthusiasts.
best regards, VMV

I have the same user name on LVC, its a great site at times.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default supercharged

Hi
I have/had been seriously considering the M90 blower install on an LS 04 up or so. I have modified Thunderbird SC's quite a bit and really enjoyed the Supercoupes, but wanting a 4 door re: kids, but the LS 3.9L just didn't do anything for me in the low end.
Then last summer I drove an STR, AND realized how steeply depreciated the are and thought hmmmm this is like a 4 door corvette, turn key, no modifications/tuning required! REQUIRED being the key word - wanting to tweak something is different than HAVING to tweak something to get to where you want to be performance wise.
So I now have my STR as my primary car, and two toys, my modified VERY clean 92 Red/Black 5 Spd Thunderbird SC, and a 71 Mustang Convertible which has a 94 5.0L EFI and T5 5 spd.
This seams to be a pretty good group over here, and I appreciate the help for newbies from more experienced Jag owners. In the Thunderbird arena i have always tried to pass my accumulated knowledge on to others, but for now with the Jags I am on the other side of the equation!
Pete

Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Always a question on how much of the S Type and the Lincoln LS share. Attached is a pretty good summary of what is the same and what is different. Of course it does not have enough detail so we know which individual parts will swap out??
Hope it is of interest!!

Attached Files
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

pdr1966:
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. But as I dug deeper into it there are MANY things Jaguar did to make the supercharged engine very heavy duty. Things like adding oil squinters to the underside of the pistons to reduce temperature. Two large external oil coolers and increased oil capacity to 6.8 qts. Reduced compression ratio, factory cold air intake with a vacuum controlled flapper to add more air when accelerating. Plus you would be using the M90 and the STR uses the M112. So a bigger super charger. 90 cubic inch .vs. 112 cubic inch
I won't even get into the tremendous suspension the STR has compared the LS plus the much upgraded interior.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The STR is a very nice starting point

I look forward to getting to pick your brain on certain things as I mod my lil 4 door up this spring

Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default things

I didn't know about the oil squirters, and I also came to the conclusion that the 3.9L is somewhat fragile based on the number of cars I noticed with 'replaced' engines.
Clearly the biggest issue is that putting the M90 on a 3.9 WITHOUT dropping the compression ratio really limits things.
In anycase the steep depreciation of an STR vs what you would have to pay to get a clean LS in the 05 range makes it a no brainer from what I have seen around.
I intend to keep my STR simple, and MAYBE do a pulley - but pretty much drive it and enjoy it - have to improve the audio though as well.
Pete