S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's gone wrong with your S-Type since you bought it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019 | 10:20 AM
|
Default What's gone wrong with your S-Type since you bought it?

We have had our 2003 3.0L for 14 years. This car is always garaged, has only 53K miles, rarely rained on, and rarely sits outside for an extended period of time. I am a "waxaholic" and have been all of my life, so this car, like all of the others I own or have owned has been well taken care of and babied. The only other car I have ever owned that has had as many or more problems was a 1987 XJ6 that we had for 14 years also and I'm so glad we got rid of that car. Just a few problems l've encountered are listed below.

***Now on the second water pump
***Check engine light was on. Replaced oxygen sensor bank one, Upstream DTC P1647
***Headliner and rear view mirror material sagging
***Driver side mirror has a brownish "fog"
***Engine oil leak, Replaced air intake valves o-rings
***Transmission mount bushing collapsed, Replaced transmission mount
***Jaguar emblem on the front grill came loose needing epoxy to reattach
***Chrome grill on front of car came loose for no apparent reason
*** Replaced coolant reservoir tank
***Demistor at the base of the front windshield suddenly develops a crack in the center
***Leather owners manual holder looks like it is trying to decompose!
***Passenger side vanity mirror cover pin broke
***Front headlights got that "foggy" look (I have since replaced each)
***I cannot get the garage door opener button to work after numerous attempts and a few bad words every time I think about trying again. ( Programmed the 97 XK8 on first attempt)
***The top roof has a spot the size of a nickel where the paint is coming off. (I have always waxed this car more than a few times a year as I have done the same with all of the cars I own with no problem)

Some might say normal wear and tear and I realize it's 16 years old, but considering how well I've tried to take care of it, I don't think a lot of the problems should have happened.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Jag-Vette:
muskox3437 (04-10-2022), Rober2 (05-31-2022)
Old 10-25-2019 | 02:23 PM

We've had ours for a little over a yr now and have put 8k miles on it. It was a garage queen and mostly still is. I knew there were some common things to be fixed and accepted that going into having a "Jag". Here is what I've repaired & serviced so far
- Changed *all* fluids
- except brake because they were just done
- PS fluid multiple times
- Coolant twice
- Oil twice
- Rear diff once
- Trans - complete flush using ZF fluid (ran about 17 liters through it to get clear flowing)
- Trans filter and the round thing that often leaks
- Trans cooler rubber hoses - Were hard and leaking at ends
- rear tie rods
- Tires - still had factory original tires on it
- 4 Wheel alignment
- Three relays - Seems very odd that three went bad?
- Wiper motor
- Radiator & reservoir (did those last week)
- Engine cover screw was missing - Has a special and odd shape
- The front bumper face was missing a bracket that holds the wheel liner in place
- Replaced all 5 of the HVAC sensors (now it works perfectly)

Repairs still do do
- One key fob has died and a new battery didn't fix it (transponder still works)
- Both sun shades are delamitated. They work but look undesirable
- The inside rear view mirrors glass has a lot of little check marks in it. Like little hairs. I plan to get a mirror w/back up camera capability.
- The paint needs a good detail
- The brakes work perfectly and are OEM Jaguar parts. But they dust HORRIBLY. Maybe next summer I'll change to a set of akebono's and flush the fluid
- The battery is sitting at 14.2V after 24hrs and tests 69% good. So it's nearing time to replace.
- Fuel filter

The following users liked this post:
Jim Jag-Vette (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019 | 07:37 AM
|

Wow, that's seems like a lot to me and I totally understand your comment, " there were some common things to be fixed and accepted that going into having a "Jag"." I've had Jags for 28 years but I really thought the quality of our 03 would be better than our 86 XJ6 was, lots of problems just different ones. Years ago I replaced the brake pads with ceramic and it knocked the dust problem down considerably. I also change the oil every 3K religiously. My wife has always liked the car, probably because she doesn't have to work on it, but I'd sell it in a heartbeat if I could get much for it. Amazing how some "high end" cars lose their value so much in a short period of time.

Old 10-26-2019 | 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

For my 2004 STR I can't think of anything that's not wear & tear / servicing apart from the DCCV and its module (replaced the DCCV, soldered a PCB trace).

Old 10-26-2019 | 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
For my 2004 STR I can't think of anything that's not wear & tear / servicing apart from the DCCV and its module (replaced the DCCV, soldered a PCB trace).
Same here. My '02 V6 has been phenomenally reliable. I've got about 320k miles on it, and drive it about 50 miles round trip each work day.

The following 3 users liked this post by kr98664:
jeffn (06-06-2022), Rober2 (05-26-2022), S-Type Owner (06-08-2022)
Old 10-26-2019 | 10:23 AM
|

Originally Posted by kr98664
Same here. My '02 V6 has been phenomenally reliable. I've got about 320k miles on it, and drive it about 50 miles round trip each work day.
Wow, 320 miles on it? That's amazing. I had a 1993 Chevy S-10 that I bought new and got 350K on it in 21 years before I sold it. I never had to get inside the engine or transmission, just normal wear and tear.

Old 10-26-2019 | 08:07 PM

Oh I forgot.. I changed the DCCV too.

In my case we plan to use this as our family car for the next 4 yrs. So before I turned in my company lease I tried to get everything fixed.
IMO the only 2 things that were "broke" was the crazy HVAC temp swings and the radiator. The other stuff I had already planned to address before I bought the car.

Old 10-26-2019 | 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

06 str....things that went wrong that had to be fixed, outside normal maintenance.....replace radiator,replace thermostat and water pump because of radiator replacement, replace alternator.trunk latch, front and rear passenger door latches, underhood insulation/silencer, one rear seat release cable and leaking trans cooler hoses at crimps...mileage items are....all suspension bushings, battery, supercharger oil, belts, a couple coolant hoses, upgrade supercharger coolant pump, trans filter and oil, hid headlight bulbs, both front lambda sensors....getting ready to replace dripping oil pan gasket.....bought car at 136000 miles in April 2017 and now have 156000....always find that it takes about 2 years or 20000 miles to get my used vehicles in condition where i would drive them anywhere.....car is in excellent condition inside and out save the gasket and a vanity mirror.....i do my own work, so parts were maybe 1200 to 1500

Last edited by scottjh9; 10-26-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Addition
The following 2 users liked this post by scottjh9:
Aarcuda (10-28-2019), wydopnthrtl (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019 | 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
06 str.....i do my own work, so parts were maybe....
I'm the same way. If I had to pay someone to work on my car... I'd never have bought a Jag.

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (10-28-2019)
Old 10-27-2019 | 08:51 AM

00 S-Type 4.0 66,xxx miles only had it a month. Was a Garage Queen now a daily driver ~15 miles/day during the week.
AC compressor done by the dealer before I took delivery.
Left front turn signal bulb.
Found a Lowjack still hooked up in the trunk and removed it.

Things I need to get done.
Check timing chain tensioners and replace if needed. As soon as a bay opens up at work.
Get keys cut.
Ashtray lid won't stay on.
Lighter socket is dead. Probably a fuse. I hope.
Front bumper has a "crinkle" with flaking paint.
Shifter occasionally sticks when cold taking it out of Park.
Both front side markers need to be replaced.
Block heater and trickle charger. It gets cold here.
Headlights are getting a bit hazy.
I'd like to get 2 extra rims for winter/snow tires.
Buy flowers. Wife has been calling the Jag. my "British Mistress"

The battery and tires are about a year old according to the paperwork. I will be getting new tires since the ones on there are the cheapest Kumhos that would fit.

So far I've bought an iCarsoft LR V2.0 Land Rover/Jaguar version. Works on all US/Japanese/Korean so I can tell my wife what's wrong with her Buick.
Downloaded Mongoose 1.30. I have an old XP laptop that needs a HD and Don't have the cable yet.
I've seen a link for shop manuals, I could probably use one of those too.

Somehow I wound up with not one but TWO owner's manuals. The original warranty paperwork and other goodies were also in the leather pouch.

Even with the low mileage I expect other issues will come up considering her age but I should be able to keep the cost down by doing the work myself.

Old 10-28-2019 | 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

First are the Items I have in common with your list on my #1 2004 STR with close to 100K on it.

***Now on the second water pump - Second engine, so water pump was changed
***Check engine light was on. Replaced oxygen sensor bank one, Upstream DTC P1647 - Been there, done that
***Headliner and rear view mirror material sagging - Yes, Started a couple of years ago, still haven't repaired yet
*** Replaced coolant reservoir tank - Been there, done that
***Demistor at the base of the front windshield suddenly develops a crack in the center - Mine has split across in 2 places
***Passenger side vanity mirror cover pin broke Both of my cover's pins have broken - plus pins are broken on 4 of my other Jaguars.
***Front headlights got that "foggy" look (I have since replaced each) Yes, has happened to mine too, plus all my other Jaguars have the foggy look to some degree

Additional items.
*** Center console plastic clip that closes the console cover broke. Had to replace the center console padded cover.
*** One of the center adjustable vents has a broke side pin so it sags and doesn't work right. I suspect that one of my kids broke it. All the interior plastic parts are becoming fragile.
*** One of the fog light covers, fell off on the road and was lost.
*** Rear view mirror lost its liquid so it no longer auto-dims. I have a replacement but haven't installed.
*** Had to change all of the control arm bushings front and back.
*** Imfamous engine valley hose had to be replaced.
*** Car sat for 3 months over winter without being started. A fuel injector stopped working, and now works intermittently.
*** Sun roof went off its tracks. Many of the plastic part have failed. Purchased repair kit but have not installed.

Old 10-30-2019 | 08:15 AM

Throttle position sensor/ throttle body

Old 10-30-2019 | 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

In the 20K miles since my S-type was acquired:

-Complete set of rear parking sensors; two sensors failed in a short time, so I figured that given the labor involved, it was prudent to replace the remaining two originals as well...
-Replaced the front brake pads.
-Replaced the radiator expansion tank/reservoir.
-One coil-pack failed. I replaced all three under the intake manifold on the V6, also deemed prudent, given the labor involved.
-Replaced the dash top demister (defroster) panel which cracked and is no longer available from Jaguar.
-Replaced the driver's door latch assembly.

Otherwise, after a complete change of fluids at the time of acquisition, the remainder of work done on the car has been routine maintenance.

Last edited by S-Type Owner; 10-30-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2019 | 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update

Just finished the oil pan gasket replacement...thought i would never say this about this car.....it was the easiest and cleanest gasket job of any kind i have ever done on anything, including small engines.....no scraping or anything....about 12 bolts and a rubber push in gasket....so no glue or squished out gasket.....it sets into the engine

Old 10-31-2019 | 10:35 AM

19 years from new but admittedly only 55k summer miles:

- Rear track rods because the rubbers split and I didn't have time to find just the rubbers.
- Radiator expansion tank/reservoir
- Boot/trunk lock
- Rear door lock
- Rear wheel bearings
- Windscreen washer nozzles
- ARB (sway bar) drop links
- Front window regulator slider
- Headlight leveling parts in one headlight unit
- Sealant under boot/trunk seal

I think that's it and everything is currently working as it should, touch wood I'm fairly happy with that record.

Sure it has needed some batteries, tyres and brake components, mainly because it has been left wet, and the usual oil and filters, but they don't count.

Old 11-14-2019 | 08:31 AM

What haven't I had repaired on this car!! I think I am at the end of my rope with this money pit!! Bought it with 64,0000 miles on it in 2014; it now has 137,000 miles on it. Since the 100,000 miles were clocked on the odometer, it has been one thing after and another, Only thing left to go on it, is the transmission. It currently has no heat and I have moved up north recently...just wonderful!! An another thing I have noticed with this car is that it is has been hit two times while parked!! People just love banging it up in parking lots. The body repairs have been non stop as well. The car has always had rust bumps by the the rear quarter panel around the gas cap area. I think it's time to bid farewell to the money pit!!! BTW it's a 2003 base model, S-type.

Old 11-14-2019 | 04:24 PM

My jag is an ‘05 3.0 and had 67k miles when I bought it in May. Like many I replaced the demister vent panel. I lucked out and got just the right one on eBay. I did a new fuel filter and recently replaced the battery after a discussion here. I got a new radio/CD player as well. But I really didn’t HAVE to do that.

The most expense was in replacing both headlight assemblies for right around one thousand dollars. Not too bad so far.

Old 11-15-2019 | 08:12 AM

S-type '01 V6, 69.000miles,

* fuel pump (purchased the car with burned pump)
* left driver side catalytic converter (also comes clogged from the previous owner),
* all 6 coils and spark plugs,
* valve cover gaskets,
* coolant expansion tank,
* headliner
* all four strut lower bushings
* front control arm bushings (the big ones)
* front sway bar links and bushings

plus all regular tear and wear: tires, oil, all filters, battery, brake pads

things to do:
* windshield defroster panel (broken in three)
* all struts replacement (they are electronic suspension now, will be regular ) --- INVESTIGATING NOW ABOUT IT
* all rear control arms and/or bushing replacing
* rear sway bar links ( the bushings seems "impossible mission")
* transmission fluid and filter

For now, I'm fine with the costs (since I do all the tasks myself) but the average of problems is far more than my previous cars (even on cheap fords with twice the mileage)

6 months (and only 1000 miles) later I still ok with it.

Last edited by dauraf; 11-15-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2019 | 06:46 AM

I Purchased my 05 STR in 2015 and I have since done about 15k miles in the car.

Known faults when purchased:

A/C needed re-charge. (Done in 2015 for £40 at Qwick-fit, and fine ever since.)
Rear Exhaust boxes rusted through. (I replaced these with Adamesh boxes in 2015, because they were a lot cheaper than Jaguar ones!)
Exhaust rear box heat shields insecure. (I fitted new stainless-steel washers and spring washers on original fixings to re-secure in 2015.)
Rear doors very stiff to open. (Just needed lubrication with PTFE oil.)
Out of date 04 Sat-nav DVD. (2012 DVD installed, £8 from e-bay.)
Front tyres worn on both edges. Caused by low pressure. (I replaced with part warn 6mm Pirelli's for £75 the pair!)
Passenger side of the heated screen not working. (Not bothered to fix this yet!)
The car had also not been serviced in about 5 years! (I got the oil and filter changed by local garage in 2015 and each year since, I did the rest myself.)
The all original paintwork was quite dull. (It pollished up very well.)

I got a lot of money off the sale price because of the above! As you can imagine the car sounded like a total rattlebox with non-working A/C and no servicing or proper cleaning for 5 years! I knew exactly what was required to sort it all out and how little it would cost me, but the previous owner did not and went by Jaguar prices!

When I first viewed the car, the rear tyres were also worn out and one was down to the canvas! But the previous owner changed these for 'budget' tyres before I went back a week later after he had accepted my 'offer'. (I did get some knocked off because they were budget tyres, but not as much as I would have if he had left them worn out.)

Faults since purchased:

One rear parking sensor failed. (Replaced in 2016.)
One rear anti-role bar drop arm link broken. (Yes broken! I did not even notice! Replaced by MOT garage in 2017.)
Left hand rear ABS sensor failed. (Identified using SDD 130 and replaced in 2019.)
One front side lamp bulb failed. (Replaced by MOT garage in 2019.)
Plastic expansion tank split at joint. (I replaced this with a new one in 2019.)
One of the three bulbs in the front interior light has failed. (I have not dropped the fitting down to replace this yet.)

That is all the 'faults' so far.

I have also added a CD changer and the later X-type/XJ Bluetooth module.

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 11-19-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2019 | 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Getting close to 5 years since I’ve taken over....

Throttle Body
DCCV
Dual fuel pumps
Schraeder Valve (ac)
High pressure ac hose
Water Pump
Coolant expansion tank
Coil and plug (Replaced the other 7 plugs at the same time)
Bushes (front end)
New tires
New wheels and center caps
New bulbs (LEDs)
Control arm

I’m certain I have left a thing or two or three out.

Last edited by Warspite; 11-19-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Spell Check

Quick Reply: What's gone wrong with your S-Type since you bought it?