S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the S-type rank in the Luxury sedan market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Grace, Space and Pace" from the original S Type advertisements in the 1960s.
Enough said!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Real Looker

I own a 2007 Mazerati Q and a couple of other cars in addition to My 05STR. The Maz gets looks because it's an uncommon and expensive Vehicle. The Jag gets looks because it's an elegant, sexy, husky, classy piece of machinery.

Her lines are smooth, her stance is bold, her attitude is wildly well mannered, her handling is supreme and her clothes fit very well LOL.

Some other manufacturers of comparable class for sedans put more bells and whistles in the cabin, but, that doesn't make them better or more appealing cars.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,530 Likes on 3,940 Posts

That's a good angle for the pic!

Not so good with the oil stains LOL

Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Jag gets it for the name.. Sleek, like the cat. Women tend to like the looks, sexiness. Men like it for the refine lines and luxury. It's not raw like an BMW in sheer power and handling. But as a nice cruiser with finished luxury. Every time a co-worker sees my car they definitely appreciate it. When I pick up my girlfriend at work, everyone cheers and comments that they'd like one or have a boyfriend pick them up in the Jag. I like the S-Type looks as it is a classic. Bentley has that look.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
That's a good angle for the pic!

Not so good with the oil stains LOL
That was in front of my office building. (Not from my beatiful baby) LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can I pose a question, slightly off topic. Most members on here are from the USA. I'd be interested to know how the Jag brand (and therefore the S-Type) is perceived in the USA. I know that Jaguar pulled out of the American market in the early '90s for poor build quality. Is Jaguar therefore percieved as inferior, or better than US brands?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

In my neck of the woods, Jaguar is typically an afterthought when folks are considering what vehicle to purchase. The perception of unreliability is still very strong (a well-earned reputation, by the way, in the 1970s and 1980s here), and it may never be completely resolved in the minds of the American public. But we second-hand Jaguar owners in the US tend to benefit greatly from that perception because it causes even more massive depreciation than the typical luxury car suffers from after three model years or so. Three-year-old Jaguars in excellent condition with low mileage can be found for well under half their original sticker price, and in some cases barely more than a third of their original sticker price. Again, if you never buy new, this can be a fantastic way to purchase a gorgeous luxury car for a pittance. It has become the normal method in our family for the acquisition of all of our motoring needs....

Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Some would call the S-type looks "outdated", but are they really? Outdated is not the word I would use....Classic is more like it. I get looks everywhere I go in my STR, and some very nice comments. This car looks like a Jag. I'm sorry, but as nice as the XF is, it looks like everything else. The proverbial "cookie cutter". The S-type looks are elegant to say the least.....beautiful in my opinion. I may be biased to Jaguars, they were my first love (XKE!!), but I'm not alone. Enzo Ferrari called the XKE "the most beautiful automobile ever made". I would think his opinion carries some weight. I guess what it all ***** down to is if you, the owner, like the way your car looks. As for me, I wouldn't trade my STR for all the tea in China. If she breaks, I'll fix her regardless of cost....well, within reason. And to top it all off, she can hold her own against the best of them (muscle cars. sports cars, etc.) She's just much nicer to ride in as well :-). Some things do get "dated". Bell bottom pants are dated as well as high button shoes and Dashikis. The S-type, it's Mozart on wheels (and steriods if you have a "R"). Well, that's my 2 cents.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

what he said some more comment on the "new generation" ive seen them on the road and in shopping malls , and its a shame that many angles / styling ques trigger mental images of infinity's lexus and now the new top hyundai's. cudos for hyundai as they have come such a long way from when the EXCEL was intruduced-- remember that one? but now the lines have become even more muddled. also , i think these new cars are engaged in some sort of techno-war which is now IMO more than reached an apex as far as what a typical driver will actually use. i saw the genesis commercial last night with the "info paddle" and touch screen blah blah. here in NJ they want to throw you in jail for even sending a text to somebody that is driving!! and these car companies expect a driver to shuffle through screens just to select a radio station? you watch ... as more people get killed , this integration will go in a decline. i think our cars , early to mid 00's , have just the right amount of bells and whistles. if you want to be at your computer, stay home or go to work!!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In terms of uniqueness the S is up there I'd say. Styling is good also. Ride comfort is very good but I haven't driven a comparable other brand model.
However having owned an Infiniti before and having family with more than 1 Lexus in the garage my S is at the bottom of the heap in repair bills.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Jaguar is a good deal if you don't follow the crowd. I have a 2005 STR and in 2005 Jaguar was ranked in the top 3 for initial quality and that's good enough for me.

The depreciation is just horrible so that helps us cheapskate used car buyers.

Next you need to do your own work if you don't have a warranty. That's pretty much why I am on this forum. I learned from my previous cars that car guys will figure out all the problems AND solutions before the car is very old. Normal luxury car owners are too lazy and just pay to have everything done. I find $100 for an oil change just too much. But the dealer does have a great lounge with fancy coffee and treats!

One great example of a DIY repair is Brutal’s drooping headlight fix. Pennies to do it but each HID light is $1600 from Jaguar. When I hit a deer the body shop still had to pay $850 for just one used HID!!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

When I first pulled up at my office parking lot, I got a lot of oohs and ahhs from my office mates. It should also be noted that when we go out for a group lunch my car is always full as everybody wants to ride in a Jag.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently bought a 2006 Cadillac CTS with the V6 engine and 28,000 mi. My 2003 S-Type also has the V6 engine but has 120,000 mi. I've told my wife that the Cadillac can't hold a candle to the Jag. It doesn't have as much power. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage. It doesn't ride as good as the Jag. It doesn't have as much room as the Jag. It's noiser than the Jag inside . I was really disappointed in the Cadillac when comparing it to my S-Type. But the Cadillac would be a nice car otherwise.