S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's the heat ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where's the heat ?

Hello all. 2001 S - Type 3.0 l . Heat on driver's side is warm at best and passengers side does not have heat. Anyone have ideas as to cause and//or possible remedies. Thanks in advance

Old 03-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Most common on the X200 is the 5 outlet Heater tap, done in the depths of the RH front corner of the engine bay.

You will need a sense of adventure, sense of humour, Bandaids, etc to do that tap.

Much talk about all sorts of electrickery issues, but I have had 100% succes with a new heater tap on 5 cars.

The X202 and up, different discussion.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Is this the same car from a recent thread with the CHT sensor issues?

Check the coolant level again. My '02 V6 is very finicky. If the coolant level is low, the heat tends to go cold at idle, but works better at higher RPM.

Set the climate control to HI. This puts the system in manual mode and bypasses most of the automatic controls. This will help determine whether the heater core is actually getting hot.

If still no heat in HI, unplug the electric connector on the DCCV. Both chambers in the valve are spring-loaded open, and hot coolant should flow to the heater core. If not, the valve has likely stuck closed. As Grant has mentioned, the reliability of the DCCV is dismal, so this is your most likely culprit.

What is your temperature gauge showing? Does the upper radiator hose feel hot to the touch? This is to make sure the coolant is actually hot enough. If not, that points to a thermostat problem.

If these steps all check normal, pressurize the cooling system with a pressure tester. A while ago I had a slight coolant leak that didn't show up visually with the engine running. It dropped the system pressure just enough, though, and I think this disturbed coolant flow to the heater core even though the coolant level was fine. I fixed the leak, pressure returned to normal, and the heat was fine again with no other action taken.

If you need to replace the DCCV, our own Gus has put together an excellent guide. Make sure to trim the mounting flange as he has recommended. It makes installation much easier:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Instead of removing the electrical connector on the DCCV for troubleshooting, as mentioned above, I've posted an easier method by pulling a fuse.

Details here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...dition-177764/

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-14-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes kr98664. This is the car with the CHT sensor issue but the heat problem has been on-going. Today the driver's side seemed to have more heat but none on passengers side. I'll check the car over as you suggested. Thanks for the help

Old 03-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag-Ed
Yes kr98664. This is the car with the CHT sensor issue but the heat problem has been on-going. Today the driver's side seemed to have more heat but none on passengers side. I'll check the car over as you suggested. Thanks for the help
Definitely DCCV related. Passenger side solenoid stuck closed or partially closed. Fast test would be to touch each metal pipe coming off the DCCV (be careful one or possibly both will be hot) but based off your description that is what it sounds like.

The DCCV will need to be replaced.

These often fail in the closed position due to debris or sediment accumulation over time.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-14-2017)