S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's my coolant going then???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Where's my coolant going then???

Hi I bought an s type 1999 with 55k on the clock late last year and have had the usual probs needing fixing! It was also converted to run on LPG!

Coolant tank split
Breather pipe split
Gearbox replaced it at 58K

Now I seem to be leaking coolant judging by the fact that the more I fill it up th more it needs filling!! Haven't seen a leak anywhere and no obvious signs of what the problem is. Do you guys think it's just needing proper bleed....garage assured me they did this when they fitted coolant tank 5 months ago but I'm wondering! Heater blows hot for a bit then cold and the electric fan has started coming on now which it wasn't doing before.....help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi Les, moving this over to the S-Type section, hopefully some of our gurus can sort you out.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Les, LPG's a good thing, lot less engine wear and a lot less fuel cost. The water loss when you've had all that done, and you've left some room in the expansion tank as per the fill line, seems to me it could have combustion gasses going into the water jacket due to (usually) a blown cyl. head gasket or less often thank God a cracked head or block. The cracked block one was common on BMW 5-series, my friend now gone to live in the Philipines had just such on his BMW 528i. If I remember the easy way generally speaking is to remove the filler cap and run the engine when cold or just warmish with your hand over the hole -- any sign of pressure trying to force its way past your hand is a sign. As is white smoke (steam) from the exhaust. I believe mechanics do a pressure test on each cylinder to see if one is markedly down from normal. The heater blowing hot then cold is another sign. There is a possibility of a needle sized hole in some part of the water circuit and you don't see while inside driving, that squirts water out, so check when fully hot. Word of caution, one of the autoboxes musn't be revved in park or neutral as it will knacker the front clutch due to excessive pressure, someone on here will tell U if this be the case on yours. Looks like your motor isn't sorted quite yet...
Leedsman.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Default Where's my coolant going

Thanks Leedsman! More pain I guess!!

It's frustrating getting one thing fixed and having something else go wrong almost straight away, I have checked the oil filler cap for foam as I remember my old Granada 3.0 automatic had a milky foamy scum build up around the oil filler cap when it blew the cylinder head gasket. There's such an inconsistent behaviour pattern with it at the minute, one minute it's fine and no cooler fan and heating works fine and it runs great then all of a sudden it does the opposite. I did notice something really odd about a week ago that I suddenly had a build up of condensation/misting inside the car when driving along and the cooler fan kicked in.

Guess its garage time again......the wife will kill me! hehehe

Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Smile Where's my coolant going then??

Well I think I've found the problem and it looks like one of the hoses has a small leak when the pressure builds up. Noticed a wet spot under the belt and its coolant and although I havent seen the leak from the hose it feels like the rubber has perished near the top and was coated in coolant. Fingers crossed!!! Booked in with garage on friday and not going to move till it goes there! Did the topping up with the heater running and got hot air and no sudden rise in temp gauge. Doesn't have any scum at engine oil filler so hoping that means it's just the hose!

Back to being a biker for the next week!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That one was 3rd. on my list, this type of leak doesn't show itself until the water gets near the operating temp., abt. 85 degreeC., and there's some pressure behind it, around 15lbs/sq". It's a cheap fix,-- you really don't want a cyl. head gasket blown if at all poss! If it proves ok once done, remember to drain some water out and add antifreeze for winter. Use non-corrosive antifreeze if the cyl. head is ally.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Misting inside the car means heater core leak...lot less of headache than a cracked block or headgasket. Let us know what gives. Good luck chap.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

If you're adding anti-freeze make sure you use the correct kind or you're likely to get a gel (gunge) that blocks everything up.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Smile Where's all my coolant gone then?

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm just back from Stockholm which is why I was a bit slow thanking you all.

Car's booked in on friday to get LPG system serviced and guys there have said they'll fic the hose for me and flush and refill system with lovely jag coolant.....I'll keep you posted!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Default Coolant leak sorted

Hi

Well got the leak sorted now, replaced 2 hoses, one of which appeared to have had some sort of bodged repair job on it!!! Filled with red coolant now and running like a dream. LPG system serviced too and all for a mere £140.

MOT at end of the month....here's hoping nothing is hiding to be discovered.