Sponsored by:

Whoop noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WHOOP NOISE

ORIGINAL: erdoc

I have noticed recently on my 03 4.2l jag 45,000 miles the car makes a "whoop" noise when downshifting. It usually occurs around 20-30 mph when I hit the accelerator to pass another car etc.. the car downshifts and I hear the noise. Any thoughts?
That is weird that you say that because about a week ago I noticed my car did the same thing. I was on a ramp entering onto the highway and I punched it and heard that whoop sound! I have no clue what it is or why it did that but I would like to know too. I have an 04' 4.2 and mine has about 42,000.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That would be Racer Locked in the boot with that warm case of beer.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Damn you Dennis! ... I thought you had an answer for us! lol Actually, I would say it is more of a roop sound than a whoop.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL..

I think it maybe normal..When you punch it, you go to Wide open Throttle (WOT) and the intake is sucking a bunch of air all at once...

Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Dennis

LOL..

I think it maybe normal..When you punch it, you go to Wide open Throttle (WOT) and the intake is sucking a bunch of air all at once...
I hope so! [&:]I will keep checking back to see what other members have to say too.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In the mean time, can you let me out! i like COLD beer! And prefer to be driving.....while someone else hands me the beer...(hands free)[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

[:@]hhmmmmmI posted a response in here last night and now its gone...so is this a heavily moderated board that shows an affinity to very dry British humor??? and no left handed American sarcasm????

Old 10-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

No, it was just a screwed up board last night I think.
I tried to post last night aswell but couldn't and I had to enter my login to get on this morning.
So feel free to try the sarcasam again

Old 10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the same exact issue on my '04 XJ8 (same transmission in both cars). Car had about $31K miles on it when I bought it and it made the whoop from the day I got it...Solution was expensive (about $500) but covered under warranty. I don't have the exact TSB #, but it involves draining 2Q of transmission oil and refilling with oil + an additive. I also had jery downshifts which was a re-programming of the ECM. Here's the words I got from the work order....

"As per TSB, installed additive and topped up with 2 units of oil-transmission".

Take it to the dealer and ask them to dig out the TSB for the whooping noise on downshifts, they should be able to locate it....

- Tim

Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM

OK WELL TRIED MY STORY AGAIN AND APPARERNTLY THE FILTER HERE STOPS AN ENTIRE POST FOR THE USE OF THE WORD AS... OR ****, YOU GET THE IDEA,,, WELL NOT ITS NOT EVEN WORTH ANOTHER SARCASTIC POST BUT YES THERES A TSB THAT IF FOR ADDING A TRANS ADDITITVE FOR THIS NOISE, AND ANOTHER FOR HARSH SHIFTING, AND CLUNK WENT ACCELERATRING AND DECELERATING, THOSE 3 COVER NEW OUTPUT FLANGES, ADDITIVE AND CLEARING TRANSMISSION ADAPTATION(LEARNS YOUR DRIVING STYLE) AND A REFLASH WITH LATEST ECU AND TCM SOFTWARE........SO SORRY JUST LEFT OUT MY WIT THIS POST WE'LL SEE IF IT GOES THROUGH THIS TIME

Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: timfountain

I had the same exact issue on my '04 XJ8 (same transmission in both cars). Car had about $31K miles on it when I bought it and it made the whoop from the day I got it...Solution was expensive (about $500) but covered under warranty. I don't have the exact TSB #, but it involves draining 2Q of transmission oil and refilling with oil + an additive. I also had jery downshifts which was a re-programming of the ECM. Here's the words I got from the work order....

"As per TSB, installed additive and topped up with 2 units of oil-transmission".

Take it to the dealer and ask them to dig out the TSB for the whooping noise on downshifts, they should be able to locate it....

- Tim

When you say it was covered under your warranty... was that considered a trans issue then? My factory warranty has run out but I have the select edition warranty which covers major things such as trans until 100k miles or 2010- whichever comes first.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

The car was bought from Carmax in Dallas. I took it to them a couple of days after I bought it due to rought shifting and the whoop and they didn't have the equipment to do a full diagnosis, so I took it to the Jaguar dealer, whom I paid and then claimed back from Carmax. I have their extended warranty but this claim was covered under their 30 day complete satisfaction warranty. Have to say the whole experience was very positive. I would expect the select warranty should cover it.

- Tim

Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: timfountain

The car was bought from Carmax in Dallas. I took it to them a couple of days after I bought it due to rought shifting and the whoop and they didn't have the equipment to do a full diagnosis, so I took it to the Jaguar dealer, whom I paid and then claimed back from Carmax. I have their extended warranty but this claim was covered under their 30 day complete satisfaction warranty. Have to say the whole experience was very positive. I would expect the select warranty should cover it.

- Tim

I hope so- that would be great. And hopefully the dealer won't look at me like I have monkeys coming out of my ears when I try to explain the problem. I'm sure they think that way of most women who come in and figure they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. [&:]

Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Does it happen often? And did you check with your dealer to see what they had to say?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM

THE NOISE ON THE BULLETIN IS DEFINED AS MOST PREVALENT AT 50%THROTTLE OPENING, AND THE NOISE IS CREATED FROM THE E CLUTCH IN THE TRANS.

The following users liked this post:
mbates50 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
THE NOISE ON THE BULLETIN IS DEFINED AS MOST PREVALENT AT 50%THROTTLE OPENING, AND THE NOISE IS CREATED FROM THE E CLUTCH IN THE TRANS.
I don't understand what you just said. Is it normanl then for the "whooping" noise, cause I have it too.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default whoop noise

Originally Posted by Dennis
LOL..

Happening to my 2006 XK8, 29,000 miles. Don't care about the noise. Is this just a normal Jag thing? First Jag I've had.

Seen a lot of post about draining and adding this and that, but as long as it's not a mechanical fault thing, I'm OK with it.

Please advise, thanks

Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mbates50
I don't understand what you just said. Is it normanl then for the "whooping" noise, cause I have it too.

Dug up a pretty old thread here. Its not normal; as mentioned it is best to change the fluid and filter and have a TCM re-flash done.

Quick Reply: Whoop noise