S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 7 Quarts of Oil in the 3.0 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
...It's the unfounded claims that usually cause oil, fuel, filters etc. discussions to get a little too heated...

^^^+1000!!!^^^

I agree 100% that the ones saying 3k or 5k is so much better then OEM recommended OCI's. Splitting hairs IMO. I guess what it all boils down to is "to each their own". But like you said, as the miles rack up the OCI’s will play more of a role. Engine “failure” rarely occurs due to bad oil, you really have to push the interval for oil to fail. Unless you have other issues that could have been noticed during an oil change.

Also I might add I'm in your shadow when it comes to Aviation. I've only got 12years into it. lol But very familiar with MSG-3, I wish I had your experience and data to shut up a lot of arguments over conventional or synthetics. lol I usually just bite my tongue because without data or black n white prove it's very hard to change anyone’s mind.

I re-read my post and it may have come off rude, so I apologize. It was not my intention. Guys like you DO help to get the facts out, I try as well but perhaps not as efficient.

Anyone ever wonder why a lot of Farmers use their used motor oil from their cars in their tractors? …hint… BECAUSE IT’S STILL GOOD

Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

sorry if I caused you guys to start pulling out your resume's to discuss my feelings of how I want to take care of my car which helps me sleep well at night.

Anyway, The responses are great and I was glad to read I am not the only one changing oil way to often according to the dictates of the Jag gods that wrote the manual.

And thanks to all, because at one time or another you have all answered questions I have had about the best way to take care of my car and really appreciate it.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Thread resurrection (I found it whilst doing a search):

One thing that people forget is how much the engine oil helps to cool the engine, especially when it is passed through an oil cooler. A higher oil capacity helps to keep the oil at a lower temperature and therefore draws more heat away from the engine.

Ever wondered how the Cadillac Northstar engine can run with no coolant? Oil capacity is one of the reasons: Northstar engine series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following users liked this post:
plums (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I think we all know the true reason the engine holds so much oil. How many of you when you have gone to change the oil notice that it is down a quart or so? Jaguar is just adding additional in for usage losses.

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Amadauss
Maybe its because I light up a dobee every time I get in the car after I change the oil, I don't know....it just runs better . Seriously, All I can say is it just seems to me the engine sounds better and just feels better like its thanking me for taking care of it (no I'm not high now). What can I tell you, I love that car.
Just great - another oil thread I'm with Amadauss here (not with changing full syn at less than 3K - hey, but if that's what makes him feel better - go for it) I have personally used castrol dino oil in my Jag (which I have stuck to since changing my oil/filter for the first time in my 1974 Cadillac w/ 472 V8 motor) vs. Mobil 1 full synthetic/filter. (never considered before owning a Jaguar)

Honestly, the car runs better with the full synthetic in my opinion - I change every 8,500 miles... that;s my $0.02 here... done..

Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
Just great - another oil thread
It's actually an old one that somebody dug up for another thrash it seems.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Thread resurrection (I found it whilst doing a search):

One thing that people forget is how much the engine oil helps to cool the engine, especially when it is passed through an oil cooler. A higher oil capacity helps to keep the oil at a lower temperature and therefore draws more heat away from the engine.

Ever wondered how the Cadillac Northstar engine can run with no coolant? Oil capacity is one of the reasons: Northstar engine series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
+1

It's all about reserve capacity for periods of transient high demand, cooling and the ability to hold contaminants in suspension.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by plums
+1

It's all about reserve capacity for periods of transient high demand, cooling and the ability to hold contaminants in suspension.
+1

Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Moss

This is what I meant to quote... As a previous owner of a STR with the Northstar engine - GM's claims were rubbish - any loss of coolant warped those aluminum cylinder heads in a heartbeat!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

In that case more fool me for believing their PR

Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW,

My 07 BMW has even longer oil change intervals than I am used to. Apparently it monitors driving conditions and several other factors - not just mileage. The 3.0 I6 takes 6.8 qts of full syn and went 14k on its last oil change. Although I didn't send it out for analysis, the oil looked pretty damn clean coming out.

My daily driver is a Toyota Solara (bought new) with the 3.3 V6 (takes 5 qts). It currently has 268k miles on it. I change the oil at Jiffy Lube every 5k with conventional oil. At 200k a compression test was done and all cylinders were roughly equal and had excellent compression. The mechanic said at this rate I should have no trouble reaching 500k. I bought this one new, so I know its entire history. Keep in mind that 90% of my driving is on the interstate.

I'm going to change the oil in the BMW after 7500 miles and I'll send it out. Personally, I think there is too much hype surrounding overly frequent oil changes - especially if you are using synthetic...but hey, it's your money and your peace of mind, so do what makes you feel best...

Last edited by pastype; 10-01-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil changes

When manufacturers give a suggested oil change interval, it is done to ensure that their products make it through to the end of the warranty period with as little problem as possible. It also is reasonable to assume that the periods and oil quality recommended is a good number to follow after the warranty is expired.
Lots of fleets exceed the mileages for oil change intervals with little or no issues but it is buyer beware as without a way of monitoring the additive package and dilution of the oil one shouldn't do long extended drains intervals, and additional by pass filtration is usually necessary.
I know from experience that oil can run 10's of thousands of miles provided it is properly cared for but for the average car it isn't worth it. Just use decent oil and change as directed.
Modern vehicles have the engine oil life monitor and can serve an excellent purpose for consumers.