S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why we do our own work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This is why we do our own work.

I paid for an oil change today. My bad. Half way home from the oil change, roughly 5 miles, I stop at the local CVS. I leave the store, start my engine, and POOF, restricted performance. I rush back to the place as quick as I could, he pulls codes for me, Too lean system or something. The bungholes didn't bother pushing the dip stick all the way back in.

The following users liked this post:
Bacardi 151 (03-27-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Jesus! Those "Bung Holes" could use a good dipstick whipping. I thought you were gunna write that they didn't peel the old filters rubber gasket off the block and she lost oil.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

A month ago I had family members visit from Seattle for a long weekend in a new Land Rover. I noticed the second day when they went out for lunch with all the girls I now had a sizable oil puddle on my driveway. When they got back I asked for the keys and went out to check the oil level. Barely any oil on the stick.

Got a flashlight and look under the car for the leak and found that the oil filter was loosing oil and I re-tightened. Re-filled the engine with 4 quarts of oil and went inside to chat with the owner. Turned out her husband had insisted she get the oil changed before the trip.

If she had continued to drive the car she would have lost that engine. Surprised the low oil light didn't even register.

Jaysus I hate incompetence...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

One time a while back when I was in a rush to go on a road trip, I decided to stop by a quick lube shop (a very well known one too infact...I won't mention its name)...big mistake. They changed the oil indeed...but they forgot to put in the new filter. Luckily, I didn't go very far since my Volvo's low oil light came on right when I started the car.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by searanch
A month ago I had family members visit from Seattle for a long weekend in a new Land Rover. I noticed the second day when they went out for lunch with all the girls I now had a sizable oil puddle on my driveway. When they got back I asked for the keys and went out to check the oil level. Barely any oil on the stick.

Got a flashlight and look under the car for the leak and found that the oil filter was loosing oil and I re-tightened. Re-filled the engine with 4 quarts of oil and went inside to chat with the owner. Turned out her husband had insisted she get the oil changed before the trip.

If she had continued to drive the car she would have lost that engine. Surprised the low oil light didn't even register.

Jaysus I hate incompetence...
My wife has a Range Rover and in two oil changes they didn't tighten the filter on #1 and screwed up the plug on #2. You would think with anything as unreliable as a range rover they would work on them enough to be able to do it right! I use me local race shop now where competent people do the work!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

What gets me is that the kids doing oil changes are the same ones at the drive thru that will screw up your order. I haven't had an oil change done by someone else since my late teens....

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I always say that no one will be as meticulous with your vehicle as you will. It pays to D-I-Y every maintenance procedure you possibly can....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too was in a hurry for an oil change just before for a vacation. I had planned to do it myself as usual but I worked 7 12+hour days that week and stopped at Wal-Mart just before we were to hit the road. I thought, we'll just pick up a few things we need for our road trip and get going. That didn't happen.

The guys that changed the oil left a rag and a screwdriver under the hood of the car. It's a long story that did not end well. From that point on I am the only guy who changes the oil in my cars.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is exactly why we should find a competent technician/shop and stick with them. When you go the jiffy lube- cheap charlie route you get exactly what you pay for. The price of having a qualified technician look your car over while he is changing your oil is more than worth the little difference in price in my humble opinion.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only had to find my oil pan drain bolt cross threaded once to cure me off of having others change my oil. That was probably 20 years ago.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,888 Likes on 7,158 Posts

Originally Posted by laketime
That is exactly why we should find a competent technician/shop and stick with them. When you go the jiffy lube- cheap charlie route you get exactly what you pay for. The price of having a qualified technician look your car over while he is changing your oil is more than worth the little difference in price in my humble opinion.

I fully agree.

Truth is, though, even the best techs have some screw-ups under their belts.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,888 Likes on 7,158 Posts

Originally Posted by Olsic03STR
The bungholes didn't bother pushing the dip stick all the way back in.

The very thought that some people are so grossly incompetent and reckless makes me wanna puke. I can't stand that we breathe the same air.

Off with their heads, I say !

:-)

Cheers
DD

Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instant oil change experience topper

Took a '03 VW Passat for an oil change to a place which I'll leave nameless. Got home, checked oil level, and found it a quart over filled. Took it back immediately and they set right to work. A half an hour later (?!?) I asked what was taking so long. They, with some hesitation, told me. Turns out the Budding Einstein down in the pit had drained my transmission. Entirely. The VW had to be transported 25 mi. to the nearest dealership to refill the transmission (special gear needed).

They had it back the next morning, though, and I got a refund for the oil change and a certificate for a future free oil change at their establishment which I won't use, and which I have offered to friends and acquaintences at a hefty discount with no takers.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Just to clarify a common misconception. The oil warning lamp is not an OIL LEVEL warning, rather, an OIL PRESSURE warning.

There is no float in the oil pan like there is in a gas tank, so when the level goes low, you get a generous reminder... not the case at all.

There is, however, an oil pressure switch, that monitors your engine's oil pressure. This is easily noticed when your engine off (read: oil pump not spinning), and key to ON, the warning is illuminated.
Generally speaking, your engine's internal components and bearings operate on a 'cushion' of pressurized oil; no oil pressure means serious engine damage can occur almost immediately.

If you see that light on, shut it off and pull it over as soon as safely possible. This is just as serious, if not more so, than seeing your temperature gauge reading HOT. You do not hesitate, you STOP right away.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 6,319 Likes on 5,506 Posts

You're right but some vehicles like the Volvo mentioned do have an oil level warning light.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
You're right but some vehicles like the Volvo mentioned do have an oil level warning light.
Yeah my '06 Volvo S60R has it. It was the first time I've seen one actually but heard a few other cars have it too.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a great story of negligence that happened to my mom about 10 years ago. She took her Camry into the dealership for new tires or a rotation or something. When she left the car had a bit of a shake to it. She called them and was told its normal. Few minutes later she called again saying the shake was really bad and the dealership said bring it back. But before she could turn around her wheel flew off and bounced across several lanes of traffic. Luckily no one was hurt. So what happened? Some genius forgot to put the lugnuts back on!