S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Operation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Operation Problem

I have a 2003 SType 4.2L. The front passenger side power window has an issue. It will roll all the way up and then immediately reverse itself and roll down. If I "bump" the up switch very gently during the last half inch or so of travel I can get the window to close without reversing, but in express mode , the window will always reverse. Does anyone have an idea what may be the cause of this?
Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

I would recalibrate your windows. Here is what the JTIS says to do:

Door Window Motor Initialization; After the battery has been disconnected it is necessary to initialize each door window motor separately to operate the 'one-touch' up function.Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully closed position, continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds.Release the window control switch.Operate the window control switch in the closed position and continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds.Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully open position ('one-touch' down).If the door window motor initialization has been completed correctly, when the window control switch is operated, the door window glass should move to the fully closed position ('one-touch' up) automatically.If the door window glass does not fully close automatically ('one-touch' up), repeat the complete procedure.Operate the window control switch once to the close position.Repeat the door window motor initialization for each door window motor.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I would recalibrate your windows. Here is what the JTIS says to do:

Door Window Motor Initialization; After the battery has been disconnected it is necessary to initialize each door window motor separately to operate the 'one-touch' up function.Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully closed position, continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds.Release the window control switch.Operate the window control switch in the closed position and continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds.Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully open position ('one-touch' down).If the door window motor initialization has been completed correctly, when the window control switch is operated, the door window glass should move to the fully closed position ('one-touch' up) automatically.If the door window glass does not fully close automatically ('one-touch' up), repeat the complete procedure.Operate the window control switch once to the close position.Repeat the door window motor initialization for each door window motor.
The relearn may or may not not help. The relearn just enables auto roll up v/s manual roll up. I think there is a pinch sensor, where if the window detects that it's pinching something, it auto backs off and rolls back down.

Pull the battery cable off for a little while, and reconnect it, and see if manually the windows close without issue.

George

Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Tried the initiallization process with no luck. Window still reverses when it reaches the closed position.

George what dou you mean by "manually" operate the windows?

thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

I mean when you reset the battery, don't configure the express up/ down.

Do it like the old days where you just had up and down.

Just run the window up and down as if it didn't have auto up. Do you see or feel any obstrucitons in its path? Something is telling that window that its hitting something and reversing.

George

Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm having the same type of proble with my '89 XJ40. The other night we had a bit of a downpour ( in Vancouver...go figure!) and I was caught with my windows down. Here is a link to what I think happened and where the problem lies. http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?1076463i15 Now if I just knew whether the window control switch was behind the door panel, or elsewhere. If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Er..... you're on the wrong part of the forum, really.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM

ER.......but do you think it could have anything to do with the problem that djpage is having and the information I passed on may help him? I will redirect my question to the XJ40 forum....but thanks for your input.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

The cars are so different that it would not be likely.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 xkr same exact problem

i am having the same problem with my driver window. tried all the resets etc nothing works will take in for service and see what they have to say.

also the owners manual is messed up anyway look below

below you make the window go up now its in the up position!

1.) Door Window Motor Initialization; After the battery has been disconnected it is necessary to initialize each door window motor separately to operate the 'one-touch' up function.Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully closed position, continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds.Release the window control switch.

below you make the window go down now its in the down position right! - which is the same as being open duh!

2.) Operate the window control switch in the closed position and continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds.

below make the window open - wait isn't it open from the step above duh?

3.) Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully open position ('one-touch' down).If the door window motor initialization has been completed correctly, when the window control switch is operated, the door window glass should move to the fully closed position ('one-touch' up) automatically.If the door window glass does not fully close automatically ('one-touch' up), repeat the complete procedure.Operate the window control switch once to the close position.Repeat the door window motor initialization for each door window motor.

Last edited by Markbrown; 04-10-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

I don't think it is open from step 2, the way I read it you close the window then push the button again inte close direction.

For a simpler expalanation loo here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=window+reset