Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Eel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Window Regulator

I have a 2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2L, which I've owned since it was brand new & have been the sole owner. I have always taken my car to be serviced by Jag until 2 years ago when I had the driver's window regulator go bad. I've had endless issues with my car during the course of owning it & have poured thousands & thousands of dollars in service & repair at my Jag service department. I decided to have the window regulator replaced at one of the most highly regarded, local import repair shops that work on all of the high-end imports.
Less than 2 years later, something has gone bad with the same window & the window fell down into the door well. I took my car to Jag service to be looked at & did not mention that I had the regulator replaced less than two years ago. The Jag service rep called me & said it was the regulator that needed to be replaced. I then told him I had it replaced & asked if it might be some other issue & not the regulator & he stood behind it being the regulator that was the issue.
So I called the shop who replaced the regulator in March of 2014 & asked how I never had any of the regulators go bad in the entire 10 years prior to my driver regulator going bad, & now that regulator has gone bad less than two years after being replaced. The lady didn't have any good answer for me, just that it was no longer covered under warranty & I'd have to pay again if it does need to be replaced. She also said that she had a note in their system saying that the window channel seal was starting to go bad back in 2014 & would eventually need to be replaced. Yet the Jag service rep never mentioned anything about the window channel seal being bad or looking like it was deteriorating.
I'm questioning whether the Jag service said that the problem is the regulator because that is the most common repair needed when the window has issues like mine is having. I don't want to pay to have the regulator replaced only to have an issue in a few months from now & have to have the channel seal replaced too. I also don't want to take my car back to be repaired at the other service shop who would install a part that didn't even last two years, compared to the original regulator lasting over ten years.
I would like to know how difficult it is to replace the regulators, if any special tools are required to do the replacement & if members of this forum think someone (myself), who is not well-versed with cars, could do this repair on my own. I am fairly handy & can follow good instructions or a good instructional video. I had no problem replacing my tail light following some basic instructions, & I also fixed my broken visors, following a member's instructions. I am a small female & would be doing the job on my own, & I am strong but obviously can't lift or leverage a ton of weight on my own.
My other questions is if anyone has instruction on how to replace the regulator & the window seal that they can direct me to, & where the best place to purchase the parts is, if I decide to try to do it myself?
Thank you in advance for any advice & info!!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

There is a write up for rear door window regulator in the stickies. Front is similar. You can get the actual procedure in the JTIS which you can download from the same place.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

+1 on obtaining and using JTIS.

If you do decide to change the regulator yourself, get a Jaguar original part, or be prepared to drill a larger hole in the inside of the door to accommodate an aftermarket regulator.

The window regulator has been superseded several times, so when ordering have your vehicle's VIN available to ensure you get the correct part.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

I have used the Rock Auto (URO aftermarket part) left front window regulator and it failed less than a year later. I ordered another and it has been working for over a year now.

The S-Type window regulators have been an ongoing problem since the car was introduced.

I have replaced at least a hundred (mostly 2000-2002MY X200) because the plastic pulleys/guides and wire cables fail. There was a Service Action for the rear regulators in the southern US for the X200 and our dealership did HUNDREDS. We even got some from the Lincoln Dealer when Jaguar parts were on NATIONAL BACKORDER. It is just a FORD-THING!!!!!!!!!! Lincoln LS had its window problems also.

bob

Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have replaced my drivers window regulator 4 times. My instructions relate to a 2000 SType and I am attaching a link on how I did it.

Link.JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

We don't see these frequent window regulator failures on the facelift model years (2005 to 2008). Did Jaguar finally find a supplier that got it right?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 AM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Anything to be aware of of the window regulator repair kits on ebay?
I notice lots of different sellers from various countries.
Also have noticed different colours for the sliders/rollers, would one colour be a stronger plastic than the other??
I am onto my second repair on the LHS (passenger) regulator plastic sliders. Have not bothered to ever buy the whole regulator assembly as the plastic sliders were very cheap and I have successfully changed the RHS (drivers side) as well a few years ago which has held up longer than the less commonly used LHS.....

cheers