S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window regulator breaking

My drivers side front window regulator has broken for the 3rd time now on my 03 STR. I have no idea why that is. I am almost wondering if it's a defective part.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:49 PM
jya
Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Impossible to assist you without some more info. A photo may help as well.
Have you being buying a new one each time?
Have you been repairing it each time?
Where have you bought the parts from?
What has been breaking on the window regulator......?

Old 06-20-2020, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jya
Impossible to assist you without some more info. A photo may help as well.
Have you being buying a new one each time?
Have you been repairing it each time?
Where have you bought the parts from?
What has been breaking on the window regulator......?
I have been replacing it each time. I bought it from carparts.com everytime. I think they just have cheap plastic so this time I bought it from Rockauto this time. The part that keeps breaking is the plastic clamps holding it in place

Old 06-20-2020, 11:43 PM
jya
Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

I assume its the plastic clamps that hold the window in place. They of course are the culprits..
Lots on this forum over the years about this common issue. From what I remember the earlier style, I think it was grey colour plastic, was not up to the job. Its a shame you kept replacing it each time because they are actually repairable. Lots of sellers on fleabay offering replacements usually as a kit which includes stronger white colour plastic window clamps. The problem is though that you need to carefully pull it apart and rewire them. Lots of sellers too listing it as an S Type compatible part which will not fit..
So you need to carefully check with these sellers the length of each of the original wires is the same as yours and also check that the plastic window holders look the same. They usually do from the photos but they are not exactly the same as the factory originals. Others may comment on a positive fleabay seller experience. Despite the window holders not being exactly the same they will sometimes do the job but a struggle to pop the wire ends in. You will see what I am talking about when you pull it apart.
Also you need to carefully remove the plastic white wheel and rewire the wire back as you found it. Take plenty of photos but it sounds like you have a few broken spares around as a guide!
Also often in these supposed S Type kits the white plastic wheel is not the correct diameter, so check again with the seller.
I think also there were a few changes (improvements) to this part over the years but you have the x202 STR, the same as mine, so all of the above is relevant to your car as well if you had the same mechanism.
Not being in the USA I dont know these retailers you refer to but if you have been buying a new one each time it sounds like an aftermarket part. I have seen some of these over the years and the made in Italy ones look quite good but I have never used them because they are very different to the original and trying to fix a non genuine part is an issue. If you have been buying second hand these regulators may still have the old poor quality usually grey plastic.
The passenger door is likely to fail as well.

The following users liked this post:
jaidank (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with all of the above.
Length of the wires and diameter of the wheel is critical.
My last replacement had wrong wire length and wrong wheel diameter; luckily on this occasion I just had a wire derailment and slight kink so was able to fix without the kit.
If I remember correctly, the first time I fixed (same right rear window) on my 2000 S-Type, the wheel was 'captive' in the mechanism and I had to drill/file it off.
Cheers, Aidan

Old 09-07-2022, 10:19 AM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm on my 7th regulator in 7 years, all fleabay knockoffs. Are URO replacements any better? The cost is 3x more. Mine have the grey plastic ends that they make replacements for but my tech is more of a RandR guy, not a rebuilder.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffn
I'm on my 7th regulator in 7 years, all fleabay knockoffs. Are URO replacements any better? The cost is 3x more. Mine have the grey plastic ends that they make replacements for but my tech is more of a RandR guy, not a rebuilder.
so, mine will fail as well? better get the parts now. I have a 2001 S-type, is there a better option than the original part number?

Old 09-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Received 339 Likes on 203 Posts

We were told of this post and do not want to violate site rules. Please see our post in the market place re: S-Type window regulators.

The following users liked this post:
EssOess (09-11-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 856 Posts

just put the $2 clips in there or buy a good used part out of a newer car

you buy a $20 ebay regulator you get what you pay for

Last edited by xalty; 09-08-2022 at 03:07 PM.