Sponsored by:

Window Trim Clips (Early Style) '00-'02 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,044 Likes on 1,443 Posts
Default Window Trim Clips (Early Style) '00-'02 S-Type

Cordial Greetings,

I've got the common loose window trim on my '02 S-Type and am looking for the part number for the little plastic clips.

To save time telling me to look in the FAQ <vbseg>, these links do NOT describe the window trim clips on my '02:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-29860/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...aration-78211/

On my '02, the XR826786 clips mentioned do not fit. They are designed for a square hole, with a dowel pin that pushes in to expand the clip. Per this link at JagBits, these clips are not applicable to vehicles before VIN M45255. (My '02's VIN ends in M35740.)

Jaguar CLIP DRIP MOLDING - XR826786

My car takes a clip that looks like a thumbtack with a flat, rectangular head. It's all one piece. There is no separate dowel. The door itself has a round plastic receptacle for the shank of the thumbtack-shaped clip. The hole (for the round receptacle) in the door is round, so it's not a situation where a later-style clip will replace the early model.

Any ideas of a part number for this early thumbtack-shaped clip? I've searched the archives until my eyes started bleeding. (okay, not literally, but I'm trying to make my point that I'm not just asking questions without searching first...)

I can't be the first person on the forum to run into this problem, can I? I've found plenty of information about the later style clip designed for a square hole, but nothing for the early models. Call me confused.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The cars had a huge redesign for 2003, that's why.

Parts are in - free download - JEPC and lots of online sites.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Are the clips for your car not available from Jaguar?
As you know Jaguar goes by the last 6 digits of your VIN for parts.

I like to use Greenville Jaguar as they give us forum guys a 15% discount and free shipping for orders over $25. So you may want to get a few other things to get the free shipping.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6

I have not called my local dealer yet. I live a ways out of town, so to get there during business hours is a real pain. I'd much prefer to find a source online. I realize I can call a vendor and ask, but as a guy, asking like that is seen as a sign of weakness...

I've found the entire trim piece online, but am not sure if that includes the clips. Besides, I just want the clips, not the entire trim assembly. I was really hoping somebody else has run into the same problem and can say, "Oh yeah, just order (insert part number here)."

Old 05-17-2014, 03:06 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=kr98664;976689] I realize I can call a vendor and ask, but as a guy, asking like that is seen as a sign of weakness...

I don't agree with that statement, I dont find it to be a sign of weakness at all.

&

Im having the same issue on my trim for my rear left window, any advice in addition to the right ups posted in linked above ?

Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Received 6,319 Likes on 5,506 Posts

It's not a sign of weakness to ask someone else to find out for you?

The following users liked this post:
ONEsicJAG (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
It's not a sign of weakness to ask someone else to find out for you?
When you phrase it in the manner/context you have norrie, its a sign of lazyness,

Now holding yourself to beliefs of these sorts is the true weakness, if you don't have the means ( which are very generously provides here) or access to them are you going to sit there with your thumb up your *** or are you going to ask someone ??

So Norrie any experience in relation to window trim ? I'd love your input and advice for window trim.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:52 PM

I have, but only with the later type that you say don't fit, JPEC isn't clear on the early ones do you have a pic? Anything look familiar here?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Flash.pdf (144.4 KB, 355 views)
Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 AM

I have, but only with the later type that you say don't fit, JPEC isn't clear on the early ones do you have a pic? Anything look familiar here?

the two clips (part number 3) at the apex of part number 2 failed

Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 AM

I have, but only with the later type that you say don't fit,
I never said anything in regards to fitment

Old 05-18-2014, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rambunctious Jaguar
I never said anything in regards to fitment
Your right you didn't that was Karl, if you follow the links in his post you will get all the info on replacing the clips and the part numbers.

Take care with the trim as it's easily damaged and grossly expensive!

Maybe it's time to update your sig with the car details?

Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

The clips on my '02 look VERY different from #3 in the image from the manual for '03 and newer.

On the early style, the clip doesn't touch the chrome trim at all. It has a thin, flat head. Imagine an old-fashioned thumbtack, but with a rectangular head.

The clip only seems to locate the rubber strip. The rubber strip even has a recess for the head of the clip, to present a smooth face once the clip is installed through the rubber strip. The rubber strip is secured to the door frame with double-sided tape. The chrome trim in turn is secured to the rubber strip with another layer of double-sided tape. Once again, the clip doesn't actually touch the chrome trim. The clip only appears to be an index pin to line up the rubber strip.

If I can't easily find new clips, I may just make something. I'm thinking a small flathead nylon machine screw and countersunk washer would do the trick.

Now, putting on my diplomat's hat, I must respectfully offer that I didn't mean to start some great debate. I didn't call or visit my dealer yet because I've had too many conversations that ended up with my wallet whimpering. Thinking I only needed some inexpensive piece, I end up shelling out big bucks because said piece was only sold as part of an assembly, and there was a shipping charge because it was special order, etc. Of course the parts guy spent 45 minutes looking this up, even staying late and missing his daughter's dance recital, and so I feel guilty and end up spending all that money. So if it's all the same, I'd prefer to skip all that expensive awkwardness and hope somebody here had an answer, as I surely can't be the first person to encounter this.

Sorry I don't currently have access to the manual or parts catalog. My PC finally succumbed to old age and I don't really plan to replace it in this tablet age. I'm also currently unable to upload pictures for the same reason, so until forum technology catches up, you'll have to settle for my long-winded description.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Good news to report. I've found a decent substitute clip at my neighborhood parts store:

Auveco #8853 (individual piece)

Auveco #AP8833 (package of 8)

Auveco Products - Automotive, Industrial and Specialty Fasteners

Is it a perfect replacement? No. Is it thoroughly adequate? You betcha!

What I found was the original clip had a shank approximately 2mm in diameter, and it fit into a plastic receptacle in the door frame. Several of the receptacles were broken, leaving a bare 4mm hole in the sheet metal. Rather than try to track down new plastic receptacles (and tiny original clips), I found the Auveco #8853 was designed to fit directly into a 4mm hole. Problem solved. The head of the #8853 clip was slightly thicker than the original clip, but a few quick passes with a file took care of that.

Auveco products are available at most auto parts stores and autobody supply houses. They offer literally thousands of different style clips, so there may be something even better, but this was the closest match I found in stock. I reinstalled the trim last night using new double-sided autobody trim tape and everything is groovy. I'm amazed how much wind noise a loose piece of trim could make.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have used Auveco for decades and they most likely have the exact clip too. But with thousands and thousands of clips it's hard to find the correct match.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Plastic clips for 06 S type chrome trim

My window regulator needed to be adjusted (see YouTube) since it was pushing the glass up too far and not allowing the chrome trim to stay seated in the plastic clips. $3.86 each at Jag dealer. I found this site for $2.49 each. Have not tried them but they look darn near identical.
https://www.banggood.com/10psc-Side-...p-1010126.html

Old 10-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Just a reminder as the part number as well as the part itself changed with the model year.
Those are for the redesigned 2003 and up cars. Jaguar XR826786.

But I find XK's Unlimited to have them for only $1.32 each?
Jaguar Clip, Finisher, S-Type Upper Door Finishers - XR8-26786

Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Be sure to order some spare clips and store them inside in a temperature-controlled environment, not in your garage or in your car's trunk. These plastic clips are relatively fragile, they will eventually weather and break, and you will need more of them. Five years or so ago when I needed two new clips for my left rear window trim, I planned ahead and ordered six of them. That stockpile should hold me for several more years to come....

Old 10-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
As you know Jaguar goes by the last 6 digits of your VIN for parts.

I like to use Greenville Jaguar as they give us forum guys a 15% discount and free shipping for orders over $25. So you may want to get a few other things to get the free shipping.
Damn... Wish I knew this... Just ordered parts from JLR Nashville, TN

Well, now I know for next time