S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen and Headlight washer, do they have the same motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 02:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windscreen and Headlight washer, do they have the same motor?

As it states in the title, I have a JAGAUR S-TYPE 2002 (Facelift) with the Headlight washers, the car decided to go down on me while I was on the road, the last squirt of windscreen water I have seen was 3 months ago, since then I have been struggling, I have bought a new Washer Pump which I replaced and to my suprise it didn't work when I replaced my old one which was kaput. So I checked for current to the pump, no luck, I did it both when triggering the Wiper Switch and when not being triggered, 0 nada nothing coming to the Washer Pump, so I went with the premise that the Wiper Switch isn't working properly, so I replaced it as well, still nothing. I checked the relay in the Engine Compartment and the Fuse on the Passenger side compartment. The only thing on the line is to check wiring but I have no idea where to start from. Is there any other Pump besides the big one? I will post a picture with it in a second.

Many thanks,
Good day chaps!

Old 12-13-2019, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by turkay
As it states in the title, I have a JAGAUR S-TYPE 2002 (Facelift) with the Headlight washers, the car decided to go down on me while I was on the road, the last squirt of windscreen water I have seen was 3 months ago, since then I have been struggling, I have bought a new Washer Pump which I replaced and to my suprise it didn't work when I replaced my old one which was kaput. So I checked for current to the pump, no luck, I did it both when triggering the Wiper Switch and when not being triggered, 0 nada nothing coming to the Washer Pump, so I went with the premise that the Wiper Switch isn't working properly, so I replaced it as well, still nothing. I checked the relay in the Engine Compartment and the Fuse on the Passenger side compartment. The only thing on the line is to check wiring but I have no idea where to start from. Is there any other Pump besides the big one? I will post a picture with it in a second.

Many thanks,
Good day chaps!
The one that was mine is the broken one (It blew up like the Chernobyl reactor lol) and I replaed it with the other one. They are the same but questione is To the Windscreen or the Headlamps?

Old 12-13-2019, 06:22 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Please post you partial VIN number so we know exactly what car you have. (See my signature below.)
However on the 2002.5MY (ie facelift) cars the screen washer pump is seperate from the headlamp powerwash pump.

The screenwash pump should have a constant + 12v live feed when the ignition is on. It is the earth that is switched, not the + 12v.
The yellow wire with the blue stripe is the + 12v feed. If there is no constant +12v on this wire the pump will not work.
This fed from 15A fuse 12 in the primary junction fusebox. My guess would be that this fuse is blown!

(There is also a known problem with the wiring loom that runs behind the front bumper that can rub through on its mountings causing shorting and other strange, seemingly unrelated faults, more so when it is raining, this was however mainly limited to earlier cars, I think it was sorted out on the 2002 facelift.)

The black wire with the white stripe at the pump is the switched earth that comes from the general electronic control module.

If you want to trace this yourself here is a link to the official Jaguar 2002.5MY electrical guide:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...42002.50en.pdf

I hope this helps.

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 12-13-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:11 AM

This is my VIN SAJAA01P52FM47616 didn't know which part you wanted to I put the entire VIN lol ))

Old 12-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

This is my VIN SAJAA01P52FM47616 didn't know which part you wanted to I put the entire VIN lol ))
there are two pumps one for screen one for headlights .
so it's looking like a circuit or module fail . judging by the old pump id say fuse .

Old 12-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
there are two pumps one for screen one for headlights .
so it's looking like a circuit or module fail . judging by the old pump id say fuse .
​​​​​
After all the Pump that I've changed was Headlight? How do I tell which one is the headlight or screen pump?

Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

i would not know which one you swapped out . though the one you pictured looks faulty . and possibly blew your fuse .
don't forget there are three fuse boxes to check if you don't have a diagram.
but the headlight pump is easy to see . as the water pipe heads forward ab up in to the bumper .

Old 12-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
i would not know which one you swapped out . though the one you pictured looks faulty . and possibly blew your fuse .
don't forget there are three fuse boxes to check if you don't have a diagram.
but the headlight pump is easy to see . as the water pipe heads forward ab up in to the bumper .

​​​Well ****, off I go to sorrow my pain in alcohol... I just realized there are 2 pumps, 1 for the headlights (the one that was blown up and I had replaced) and one for the screenwash (which I thought that it didn't even exist) so to wrap it up TL;DR I changed the Headlight Powerwash pump thinking it was the screen pump and my screenwash pump is either fried or corrosion happend on the plugs. Off I go to take my right wheel off and plastic covers... Anyways, many thanks Datsports. At least now I know which one is the culprit, it was really odd as well, like I had no blown fuse or relay everything was good... Turns out there is a Screenwash Pump, Jaguar at it's finest. 😂

Edit: Will keep you up to date until I finally manage to see what's up with the old lass.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:03 AM
9mm
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one that was mine is the broken one (It blew up like the Chernobyl reactor lol) and I replaed it with the other one. They are the same but questione is To the Windscreen or the Headlamps?

Yes, most of them seize up and 'explode' like that. You're likely to get the same if you buy secondhand.

The later versions are more expensive but you can fit the earlier type - you just need to modify the connection. Nothing more sophisticated than a hose clip and much cheaper. The motor still snap fits into the washer reservoir. If you get stuck let me know and I will dig out the part number and price of the replacement I fitted.