Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter-time for the STR

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Winter-time for the STR

Hey y'all:
so, my '03 STR is parked for the next several months. I jut can't drive it in the winter here.
So wile it's down, I'm thinking about freshening-up some items. I'd love a little help on the order I should look at, and what I might consider "as long as I'm in there..."
for reference: '03 STR, with 125k miles.

I'll probably end-up replacing the CATS Shocks. Not 'cuz I wanna spend the dough... but 'cuz they need it. I'm looking at a possible lowering-spring while I'm at it. Suggestions? Experience?

I'm going to do the transmission, following the procedure found on this forum for replacing fluid and filter.

I've still got just a little vibration / not-quite-a-miss when the car is cold. I'm thinking plugs & coils? What else should I look at?

I'll probably buy one of the intakes, like Caldoofy's. Or make one. I've already done the flat-panel K&N.

anything else y'all would recommend?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

H&R Sport lowering springs and Caldoofy intake, Magnaflow hi-flow cats and Tru-X center muffler (muffler w/built-in x-pipe), cam cover and sparkplug gasket kit, plugs and coils.

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Brutal posted it a while back but if I have to replace any CATS struts I will get them rebuilt by Bilstein. They are the OEM for the CATS struts.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

How does your coolant reservoir look? What about belts? DCCV?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
H&R Sport lowering springs and Caldoofy intake, Magnaflow hi-flow cats and Tru-X center muffler (muffler w/built-in x-pipe), cam cover and sparkplug gasket kit, plugs and coils.
maybe a S/C pulley?

Originally Posted by tbird6
Brutal posted it a while back but if I have to replace any CATS struts I will get them rebuilt by Bilstein. They are the OEM for the CATS struts.

Good call... I'll go search for that thread. I was not aware of this option 'til you posted this.

Originally Posted by michaelstar
How does your coolant reservoir look? What about belts? DCCV?
Well... when I pulled the reservoir last month to replace the belts, it looked great! :-)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Oops!

Originally Posted by McJaguar
maybe a S/C pulley?

Good call... I'll go search for that thread. I was not aware of this option 'til you posted this.

Well... when I pulled the reservoir last month to replace the belts, it looked great! :-)
Ooops! How could I forget a smaller pulley? Shame, shame on me. Pop on a 3 lb pulley.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I assume you put the STR on a Battery Tender or similar device? I also put in 2 small jars of Damp Rid inside the car, as my garage is not climate controlled. I set mouse traps all around too - I've considered leaving the hood open to discourage any little buggers from setting up shop in there, but so far hasn't been an issue.

I add the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil to the gas and run the car for a few minutes as well.

As for maintenance mods, what the others said sounds good to me! Mine will be getting the rocker panels pulled off and resprayed, but other than that, at 43k miles, not a whole lot else to mess with. Cabin air filter will be changed in the spring before i get it back on the road.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by McJaguar
Hey y'all:
so, my '03 STR is parked for the next several months. I jut can't drive it in the winter here.
So wile it's down, I'm thinking about freshening-up some items. I'd love a little help on the order I should look at, and what I might consider "as long as I'm in there..."
for reference: '03 STR, with 125k miles.

I'll probably end-up replacing the CATS Shocks. Not 'cuz I wanna spend the dough... but 'cuz they need it. I'm looking at a possible lowering-spring while I'm at it. Suggestions? Experience?

I'm going to do the transmission, following the procedure found on this forum for replacing fluid and filter.

I've still got just a little vibration / not-quite-a-miss when the car is cold. I'm thinking plugs & coils? What else should I look at?

I'll probably buy one of the intakes, like Caldoofy's. Or make one. I've already done the flat-panel K&N.

anything else y'all would recommend?
If you are seriously looking at the lowering springs to go with those new shocks / struts, I had an earlier post about the Mina Lowering Springs. Give Chris a call and he can get you setup with a set of the Mina lowering springs shipped to your door for $225! Thats less than 50% of list!!

Just a thought if you are seriously looking at it. I got my springs today and will be working on it over the holiday. According to Chris it gives about a 1.2" drop on all 4 corners and is compatible with the stock shocks / struts so no need to replace unless shot...

Cheers!