Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blade Refill Guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts
Default Wiper Blade Refill Guide

Had our S-Type's annual inspection done yesterday so I can go ahead and renew the license plate sticker for 2010. Had to replace the wiper blade inserts, remembered several posts about folks having a tough time finding blades that will fit the factory arms (only Trico narrow blades made to fit a 6 mm claw width will fit properly), and with winter now here I decided to post some wiper blade info to help out those who also need new blade refills. I have found the correct blade refills at NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, and Carquest Auto Parts. Here are the details:

NAPA part numbers are 60-2401 for the drivers side and 60-1900 for the passenger side.

Advance part numbers are 45245 for the drivers side and 45190 for the passenger side.

Carquest part numbers are 455245 for the drivers side and 455190 for the passenger side.

I believe these are for 2003-and-newer S-Types. The drivers side blade refill is 24" long and the passenger side blade refill is 19" long.

Costs in my neck of the woods run about $6 for the drivers side blade refill and about $5 for the passenger side blade refill. If you go to the dealership for these blade refills, you'll probably pay more than $15 each for the same product....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
dishongphoto (11-20-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-03-2015)
Old 12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Thanks for the information.....

It is also a sore subject for me....I HATE THOSE CRAPPY BLADES!!!!!!!

Today.... Very light snow and sleet...Cold outside... F'in ice must have gotten in the damn blade like it will constantly! So there it was..Would hit wash and only the driver's side would keep contact with the windshield...Passenger side is all smeared...Then the drivers side stopped making contact in spots..The blade looses flexibility when just the least amount of ice gets in it!

I'm about to get a winter beater... Not because of the handling, I think it drives great in the winter... Just because of the STUPID wiper design....

OK. I'm done....

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i bet i win for the best winter beater.............200 dolla and it will make you holla.

The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (04-02-2014)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Years ago, I had the perfect winter beater - A Rambler Classic that I paid $65 for. It had a inline OHV six with 12 bent pushrods - did 0 - 60 in one day. The body was suitably adorned with duct tape covering a couple of rust holes. The funky front suspension had a nasty habit of hiding the front wheels after you hit a big bump - it would stick at the top of its travel. I finally fixed that - got tired of driving with the port and starboard list. Those were the days.....

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Jeff,

There may be blade inserts that will fit our 6 mm claw other than those made by Trico....

PIAA makes some of the best wiper blades you'll ever find. I found some PIAA blade inserts to fit my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD. That vehicle also requires unusual blade fitment sizes but PIAA came through for me on that particular vehicle. Those blade inserts have been on that vehicle for nearly three years now and will still cut through ice and snow like they are new. Google PIAA wiper blades, find the website, find a local PIAA dealer, and check out what they have to offer. Keep in mind that our drivers side is 24", our passenger side is 19", and the claw width for both arms is 6 mm. PIAA blade inserts are expensive (about $12 each the last time I bought a pair), but if you can find them to fit, I would try them before you throw in the towel and buy a winter beater. Be sure to get the silicone-style PIAA inserts - they handle ice and snow the best....

Old 12-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

Jon, I appreciate the work and reference, but it is not the rubber insert that is the problem..It is the damn blade itself. The open metal blades clog with ice that prevent them from flexing and maintaining contact with the windshield. The past solution that is used frequently up north are the rubber incased winter blades. But the Trico brand winter blade that I tried did not fit the stupid washer nozzle clip. The best solution is the new type of solid blades that are out there but again, every brand I've tried does not fit that stupid washer nozzle....I'm tempted to drill a set of holes in the hood and instal pre-2005 nozzles...but I won't....Or I could be like our long lost bud daniel and do something where I velcro the nozzle to the wiper arm and then be able to get away with any hook type blade that I want..

Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

I understand your point about the inferior arm design of our S-Types. I'm just trying to save you considerable money before you go out and buy another car. Trust me in this instance - try a set of PIAA silicone-based wiper blade inserts (if you can find them to fit) before you do anything else. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised....

Old 12-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I understand the post correctly, the washer fluid come out on the wiper arms? Forgive my ignorance here. That is not the case on my 2003 S-Type. So I am able to purchase replacement arms with blades rather than mess with inserting the blades.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Correct - on our 2005 S-Type models, the washer fluid is indeed delivered to the windshield through the wiper arms. If your 2003 S-Type squirts your fluid from hood-mounted nozzles, you are far better off in being able to select from a much wider array of wiper blade replacements.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jon I wanted to ditto Jeff, thank you for the info and write up!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

No worries, Rick. Always glad to help when I can. I highly recommend the PIAA silicone blade refills if anyone can find them to fit our wiper arms. Again, they'll need to be 6 mm claw widths in order to slot in and seat properly. If anyone finds them, let us know....

Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

I had some spare time this afternoon so I called PIAA in Oregon (800-525-7422) to talk Jaguar wiper blade refills. I started with customer service and eventually wound up with technical support. Here are the PIAA silicone wiper blade refills that will fit our S-Type wiper arms that deliver the windshield washer fluid through the nozzles mounted on the arms:

Drivers side: PIAA part no. 94060, 24 inches long with a 6 mm claw width.

Passenger side: PIAA part no. 94050, 20 inches long with a 6 mm claw width. They don't make a 19-inch blade refill that will fit, but this 20-inch blade refill will work with no problem at all.

Expect to pay $23 to $25 for a set of both blade refills from your local PIAA distributor. Go to piaa.com to find your closest location. Yes, they are pricey compared to the Trico blade refills from NAPA or Advance or CarQuest, but well worth it. PIAA blade refills are by far the best I've ever had (when you can find them). The set on my wife's Lexus SUV is three years old and still going strong with absolutely no streaks or smudges, and they cut through our ice and snow ten days ago just fine.

If anyone purchases a set, let us know how they fit and how you like them in the ice and snow. I just replaced our S-Type's wiper blades with the appropriate Trico refills from NAPA last week, otherwise I'd go ahead and get a set myself. Next time our S-Type needs blade refills, I'll go with these PIAA silicone refills if I can find them locally....

Last edited by Jon89; 12-28-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon89
Drivers side: PIAA part no. 94060, 24 inches long with a 6 mm claw width.
Sorry for my first post being a thread Necro, but I've been messing with this wiper blade refill issue for a month now. Much of the above info is wrong.

The above mentioned PIAA blade refill for the driver's side 94060 is NOT CORRECT. This is an 8mm wide blade part number. The passenger side part number is correct. I can not find a 24" long 6mm PIAA blade. I just special ordered these blades from Amazon, and now I'm stuck with a useless part ($8 blade and $5-6 shipping to return it).

Also, in the OP, same thing with the Advance Auto Parts part number. That is a 22" blade and will not fit on my 2005 S-Type (need 24") and Advance does not carry any 24" blades at 6mm.

NAPA's 602401 part number is valid on their website at $5, and the "24" in the part number suggests the proper length, but the product description does not say the specific length. I'm going try there later this week and hope that they have the right part. I'll repost here again if that part number also doesn't work.

Hopefully this will save some others who stumble across this thread some time.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJ_Kuehn:
Jag944 (04-15-2013), NvmyJag (07-22-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by DJ_Kuehn
Sorry for my first post being a thread Necro, but I've been messing with this wiper blade refill issue for a month now. Much of the above info is wrong.

Since you live in a snowy winter area, just get these from the UK...

I have them and they work great..Never get clogged, have the built in washer nozzles, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAGUAR-S-TYPE-FL...item5ade9b0ce1

Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

DJ Kuehn,

I was told directly by PIAA headquarters in Oregon that the part numbers I referenced are exact-fit into our 2005 S-Type, with both inserts fitting 6 mm claw widths. I just checked my S-Type file folder and I still have the notes I jotted down from that conversation.

If I were you, I would call PIAA and request the following:

1. Send me (free of charge) a correct drivers side insert since the part number that was specifically provided to me for my car does not fit.

2. If you cannot provide a correct drivers side insert, then send me a check for the total amount I've already spent for the incorrect drivers side insert.

I know that the NAPA part numbers for the Trico inserts are correct and fit my car's wiper arms. I just changed out both inserts in mid-December prior to the car's required annual inspection. They were inexpensive, readily available, and close to me here, and I just went with them again instead of taking the time and hassle to order the PIAA inserts prior to inspection time. Based on your experience with the PIAA drivers side insert, I'm glad I decided to just go with the Trico inserts again....

I'm going to call PIAA again in an effort to get to the bottom of this. I do not understand why they would offer the passenger side 20-inch insert in the required 6 mm claw width, yet only offer the drivers side 24-inch insert in the incorrect 8 mm claw width....

Thanks for updating your experience. We need more insert choices. The Trico inserts are inexpensive, but just average in quality. PIAA inserts are more costly, but of superior quality. But they have to fit our application or they do us no good....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-25-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-03-2015)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the rain x lattitudes and they have been working great for me

Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-03-2015)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by croppy
I have the rain x lattitudes and they have been working great for me
What year car?

See, just about any brand with a hook adapter works on 2000 to 2004... It's when they moved the washer nozzles to the hook adapter that it becomes a PIA....

(Oh and the rain x is one of the brands that are hanging in the garage that don't fit)

Last edited by JOsworth; 01-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys.

I called PIAA and they said two things. 1, they don't have a 6mmx24" refill. and 2, when they quoted you those part numbers they assumed you were using PIAA blades as well and the PIAA blade in that length would be 8mm then rambled about "we can't guarantee anything for blades that aren't PIAA blah blah blah"

Also, I think I might go ahead and order those flat blades from the UK. Thanks for that link. Those are what I wanted all along anyway. You are sure that those will fit the 2005 S, right? I have not removed the squirter attachment and do not know if the metal hook (or whatever it is) underneath is an oddball size as well.

To the guy suggesting lattitudes, I don't think those will work. I tried rain-x blades (and about everything else available at advance and autozone). None of them are wide enough to fit our hooks.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

PIAA's response to you is hogwash. When I initially contacted them in December 2009, they specifically told me that both inserts, driver and passenger, fit the 6 mm claw width of our factory Jaguar wiper arm. The only difference was that they did not make a 19-inch insert for the passenger side in this application, but their 20-inch insert would work. As I previously mentioned, I went back this morning and found my notes documenting the phone conversation....

I still think they should reimburse you for the drivers side insert you ordered....

DJ_Kuehn (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by DJ_Kuehn
Thanks for the replies guys.

Also, I think I might go ahead and order those flat blades from the UK. Thanks for that link. Those are what I wanted all along anyway. You are sure that those will fit the 2005 S, right? I have not removed the squirter attachment and do not know if the metal hook (or whatever it is) underneath is an oddball size as well.
Yup..They work just fine... (look at my signature LOL) I've been using them, and while they aren't as good as the Bosch ION blades that I've used on other cars, they are WAAAYYYY better than the crappy metal blades that come on our cars...No more clogged open blade when it snows!

If anyone needs any assorted flat blades in 24" or 19", I have plenty hanging in my garage from assorted fitting experiments...

DJ_Kuehn (01-25-2011)

Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Refill Guide