Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 218 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
That's not crazy sounding at all. Replacing with "refills" is a much fussier job and you need some needle nose pliers etc. You're exactly right Vance. Just remove them first and you'll be a much happier camper. Or, get a set of new blades. You still have to remove the washer hose if you have them though.

Do it once a year at $10 each time and you'll be just fine. I don't drive my car in the ice/snow so maybe the stock units suck for that. I know the car sucks in the snow so why bother.
I wish they sold refills in the stores like they used to at least around here. If I want just the refills I have to get them off the internet. I usually just replace the whole blade which is why I alway just take the whole arm off. Its just so much easier and dont risk messing anything up like scratching the hood. If I was to get refills I'd probably do those with the arms still attached.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

No Napa autoparts where you are?

Originally Posted by vance580
I wish they sold refills in the stores like they used to at least around here. If I want just the refills I have to get them off the internet. I usually just replace the whole blade which is why I alway just take the whole arm off. Its just so much easier and dont risk messing anything up like scratching the hood. If I was to get refills I'd probably do those with the arms still attached.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

I have one Napa but its such a hole in the wall. They dont carry anything in their store except behind the counter parts. Its very small you just walk into a door right to the counter and everything I've ever asked for has to be ordered. If I have to order it I'd rather just get it off the internet cheaper and have it shipped to my door. Probably the worse NAPA I've ever been too. The one where I used to live was really nice.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Blade Replacement--Ebay

Ok.let me get this straight on the Piaa blade inserts.I can go to Amazon and get the 19 and 24" inserts which are run as one item for about $15.00.There isn't info on width. Has anyone ordered these? Are they 6 mm claw width? Trying to find out if they will fit before I order.;.

Last edited by Dmax; 04-24-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,402 Likes on 2,874 Posts

The PIAA 19-inch passenger side insert is a 6mm claw width, so it will fit the factory arm. However, the PIAA 24-inch drivers side insert is an 8mm claw width, so it will NOT fit the factory arm. I've spoken with PIAA headquarters and asked them to make a drivers side insert in a 6mm claw width. PIAA has the best wiper inserts I've ever used....

Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I got PIAA blades from TireRack.com. They have the aero spoiler on them like the OEM blades. I found nothing out of the ordinary as far as changing them goes - just took a small screwdriver and popped the clip and it was off.
I was about to order from Tire Rack (thanks for the info), checked Ebay who was higher, but Amazon.com was $10 cheaper out the door due to free shipping. Items were the same price as Tire Rack.

The following users liked this post:
The Chris X (04-25-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Default Piaa

got the blades already and they fit perfectly on my 03. Thanks Chris.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dmax
Ok.let me get this straight on the Piaa blade inserts.I can go to Amazon and get the 19 and 24" inserts which are run as one item for about $15.00.There isn't info on width. Has anyone ordered these? Are they 6 mm claw width? Trying to find out if they will fit before I order.;.
I got mine from Amazon for my 03 4.2L and they fit fine. It was the 95060 and 95048. Around $40 total with free shipping. Got them the next day.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Okay since I just removed my entire windshield cowling I decided to replace the wipers since they were already off. I ordered these from Nalley a few months ago. The driver's side appears to be indentical to the one I have now, but the passenger side has this little nipple on it. Is this for the later cars?? I also can't figure out how to get them off of the arms... The little nipple thing is near my thumb.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Well I got the driver's side replaced after messing with it for an hour. I managed to break the clip but I think it will hold. I also scraped the **** out of the arms so I will probably need to repaint them. Ugh.

The passenger side I cannot get on all the way. Is there any difference in the way these fit from the earlier models? Mine does NOT have the wiper sprayer.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thats the washer nozzle. Those blades are for the 05+. Thats how the 05+'s look you would undo the tube going into the barb fitting and slip it on those. The 05+'s dont have the washer sprayer on the hood like your 03 so thats what they did and why its so hard for some guys to get blades because the stock ones dont come off so you can only replace the insert. The previous owner of mine somehow found removeable sprayers so I can switch out the entire blade.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Thats the washer nozzle. Those blades are for the 05+. Thats how the 05+'s look you would undo the tube going into the barb fitting and slip it on those. The 05+'s dont have the washer sprayer on the hood like your 03 so thats what they did and why its so hard for some guys to get blades because the stock ones dont come off so you can only replace the insert. The previous owner of mine somehow found removeable sprayers so I can switch out the entire blade.
So should it fit? I couldn't get it to fit, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited by Pushing_Tin; 04-27-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

This is what I have on my 03' STR......."MICHELIN Stealth Hybrid Wiper Blade", It replaces the OEM metal brackets, much cheaper than the OEM's, and real easy to install
link
http://www.pylonhq.com/products_mich..._details.shtml

Pics: Pylon - Stealth Images

Sizes:
DRiver: 24
Passenger: 19

Pushing_Tin (04-28-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
So should it fit? I couldn't get it to fit, but that doesn't really mean anything.
As far as I know it should fit. It will just have the sprayer on the mount. Other than that it should just be the same as other wiper.

Pushing_Tin (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Okay since I just removed my entire windshield cowling I decided to replace the wipers since they were already off. I ordered these from Nalley a few months ago. The driver's side appears to be indentical to the one I have now, but the passenger side has this little nipple on it. Is this for the later cars?? I also can't figure out how to get them off of the arms... The little nipple thing is near my thumb.

Yea, they sent you a 05 blade....

03 and 04 use the same size blades (I'm pretty sure) but check... I think the 2000 to 2002 cars use 21" blades for the driver's and passenger's side. The 03 and up cars use 24" driver and 19" passenger (again, I'm pretty sure but typing from memory). The only difference between yours and the 05 and up wipers is the mounting clip. The 05 and up clip has the washer nozzle attached while the 03/04 clip is standard. So, to remove the clip just push it off from the bottom. You will see that it mounts on a pin so it just snaps off and on. It is a tight fit so it will take some force.

Now you see the frustration that 05 and up owners face... That clip, while it does un-snap, WILL NOT fit into an aftermarket solid blade, no matter who made it.

You are at an advantage with an 03.. You can just get any aftermarket blade in the correct length and snap it onto the hooked wiper arm.. 05 and up owners..no such luck... Unless you get those UK blades in this thread with the wiper nozzles mounted...

Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yea, they sent you a 05 blade....

03 and 04 use the same size blades (I'm pretty sure) but check... I think the 2000 to 2002 cars use 21" blades for the driver's and passenger's side. The 03 and up cars use 24" driver and 19" passenger (again, I'm pretty sure but typing from memory). The only difference between yours and the 05 and up wipers is the mounting clip. The 05 and up clip has the washer nozzle attached while the 03/04 clip is standard. So, to remove the clip just push it off from the bottom. You will see that it mounts on a pin so it just snaps off and on. It is a tight fit so it will take some force.

Now you see the frustration that 05 and up owners face... That clip, while it does un-snap, WILL NOT fit into an aftermarket solid blade, no matter who made it.

You are at an advantage with an 03.. You can just get any aftermarket blade in the correct length and snap it onto the hooked wiper arm.. 05 and up owners..no such luck... Unless you get those UK blades in this thread with the wiper nozzles mounted...
I have those clips in a set of Ancos on my car right now. Or are you talking about the solid aerodynamic style blades.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

I have those clips in a set of Ancos on my car right now. Or are you talking about the solid aerodynamic style blades.
Yes, that is what I meant.. I thought I said "solid" blades in my post..

Old 04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that is what I meant.. I thought I said "solid" blades in my post..
You did that was my fault and I'll accept my flogging. LOL. I did see some I'm going to try that are the solid aero style that are listed for the 05+. I'll report my findings once I get them.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

You did that was my fault and I'll accept my flogging. LOL. I did see some I'm going to try that are the solid aero style that are listed for the 05+. I'll report my findings once I get them.

Ha Ha.. That's funny... Hey, before you spend any money, check with me, I test fit a bunch of different solid blades in an attempt to adapt the clip. I'm sure there were a couple I missed, but not much...So, just PM me what you want to get and I'll let you know if I tested them or not..

Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Ha Ha.. That's funny... Hey, before you spend any money, check with me, I test fit a bunch of different solid blades in an attempt to adapt the clip. I'm sure there were a couple I missed, but not much...So, just PM me what you want to get and I'll let you know if I tested them or not..
Will do I'll let you know when I get up to the store since I dont remember what brand they were off the top of my head right now. I'm detailing my STR tomorrow, for Cars and Coffee, so gotta go up there anyways so I'll make sure to write down what blades they are then.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades