S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't crank first Jaguar need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't crank first Jaguar need help

I have read about every thread about no crank, battery issues, grounding straps, fuses.
Problem is car will not crank. I can hear the solenoid on the start click but it will not turn the car over. Has a new battery with about 12.4v. Battery is new 900cca battery. I check all the fuses in the boot and the engine, all ok. Are there any other places where fuses are located? I've tried the +/- terminal reset then reconnected the battery. Put the key in the door and lock an unlock the door. The shifter has a red P. When in N the solenoid clicks. When in D it doesn't click. So that leaves out the trans position. All the lights work but the RH signal lights. Radio works and comes on when you reconnect the battery.
There is a little dome looking thing on top of the dash in the center. It lights up red and goes off. On either side of the odometer there is a yellow and red light. What is that for? The only message that comes across is a DCS fault.
I thought about removing the start. But can't get to the top blot. How in the world do you get the starter off? Someone really needs to make a YouTube vid of this..
I am in the dog house on this car. If I can't get this thing to turn over my wife is going to kill me.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Have you looked at your starter relay? Look at the oneline Fig 02.1

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...01999.25en.pdf

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Put headlights on and all other heavy loads then check battery is still good voltage.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Default Awesome info

Originally Posted by Gus
Have you looked at your starter relay? Look at the oneline Fig 02.1

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...01999.25en.pdf
That is a great link. That gives me a lot of knowledge that I didn't have before. Now I just need to find the other fuse block up in the RH bulk head. I think it might be behind the glove box or passenger kick panel. Is that close?

Old 11-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Look at the first few pages it gives you the location of fuse boxes, relays and control modules.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Originally Posted by Dads Toy
That is a great link. That gives me a lot of knowledge that I didn't have before. Now I just need to find the other fuse block up in the RH bulk head. I think it might be behind the glove box or passenger kick panel. Is that close?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

As was posted above. Put your head lights on and try to start the car.

Do the head lights dim? Heavy amp draw. Remove the starter and check it out.
Lights do not dim. Different problem. You are not getting power to the starter. Check the relay as posted above and look at cables and connections.

Maybe corrosion has followed the copper back inside the insulation and you need some new cables?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Default Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by tbird6
As was posted above. Put your head lights on and try to start the car.

Do the head lights dim? Heavy amp draw. Remove the starter and check it out.
Lights do not dim. Different problem. You are not getting power to the starter. Check the relay as posted above and look at cables and connections.

Maybe corrosion has followed the copper back inside the insulation and you need some new cables?
Thanks so much for all the info. Great stuff. It has been raining here for two days straight. Tomorrow is suppose to be a better day. But have to go to a concert. So won't be able to work on it any time soon. I have a find at work that is letting me use his remote starter cable kit. So I'll put it on the starter and see if I can kick start it right at the starter. It maybe the solenoid is corroded and can't move. I've tried the blunt force trauma to the solenoid with no luck. If I can get it started I can move it into the garage where I can work on it without rain delays. Still think it's the starter. But I can't get it off. That back bolt is un-reachable. How in the world do you get to it is magical.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi

Just another possibility.

I had no crank and loud clicking from under bonnet. Turned out to be stuck throttle butterfly. Cleaned out a load of black crud and started first time and no prob since.

Hope you sort it.

Andy

Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Update;
We'll have done a lot of work on the Jag. Had removed all o the interior, carpet, seats etc. Dry out the car. Was able to remove the starter. Found a S wrench from harbor freight that got to the back bolt. Starter was toast. Replaced the starter and crank and stop. After removing the spark plugs found out cylinders 1 and 3 don't move. Seems the rod has come off the crank. You can turn it over by hand until you get to a certain spot. Going to drop the pan to look and see for sure. Now I am trying to find out what to do next. I am trying to sell the car for $1300 or best offer. Body is straight. I need to get rid of this. I have gotten sick and do to health reasons don't have the time to deal with this right now. So if any one knows someone who's looking for a good project car.