S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start after reconnecting battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JagV8
I am very nearly certain he's wrong, but start by finding WHICH computer as there are about a dozen. My feeling is change to someone who has a clue.

Thank you! But first, IS there any Jag computer that costs $1000? Not including labor...

Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

I can maybe sell you any of them at that price...

Who cares? You need someone who knows what they're doing and so far it looks like you don't have that.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jpmett
Thank all of you SO much for your advice! Here's what has transpired; I read through some other threads and saw a post by, I believe Jagtech, who said that a reset of the computer needs at least 5 minutes of having the battery disconnected. I tried that, as well as locking/unlocking the drivers door with the key a half dozen times, then locking/unlocking with the fob a half dozen times (read those in other threads and figured I'd try anything at that point).

Actually, as soon as I did the 5 minute reset I knew things were different because my CD player started making noise as soon as I reconnected the battery. Got a jump start after leaving the jumper cables from the running car hooked up for a good 10 minutes; voila, she fired up and has been fine ever since. Granted, that's only a few hours, but I've driven and turned her off several times and it fires up like a champ each time The first ride was 20 miles or so on the highway to charge the battery, and no issues so far.

Thanks again to all who offered help and advice. It's really awesome to have this resource. You have saved me countless dollars in towing charges, diagnostic, repair, etc. when a 5 minute reset did the job.

For the record, I'm ordering a new fuel pump, to be proactive and because I respect the experience of those who suggested it is probably on its way out, and if (when, likely!) I have an issue with its replacement, it's comforting to know you're all here to help.

I hope I can return the favor some day.

My story continues also...I went and got my car from the mechanic who was going to charge me $1000 plus labor. Ended up paying $75 for diagnostic and $80 for a tow. GEICO apparently doesn't pay for the tow if the car ISN'T repaired. Which makes no sense because if it was repaired I wouldn't need a tow.

Anyway, I got it home...took the almost new battery and had it recharged. Applied the suggestions above about 5 min resetting--and it ran beautifully...for two days only. I mean it was perfect. I drove it, my son drove it...purred like a kitten. Went to start it yesterday and it wouldn't crank. It tried to but would never 'catch'. Any suggestions? Could it be a fuse?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

I'd try another recharge and if it's briefly OK then either you have a battery drain or a lack of alternator charging.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
aprilneo (03-18-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-19-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

+1 to JagV8 - I would lean on testing the alternator output when car is running at idle (no accessories on whatsoever) - you should see minimum of 13.5 V at the battery terminals - anything less - there's charging troubles ahead...

The following users liked this post:
aprilneo (03-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Default Update--

I found another mechanic recommended by a neighborhood association. He was wonderful. He did another diagnostic, fixed the AC, and said there was a loose wire running from the alternator which he repaired. All for $208. I drove the car for a week with no problems. Then a few days ago the car alarm started going off for no reason. And today the battery was completely dead.

This happened before and I had to replace the old battery. I thought maybe because this new battery had been jumped so many times it was probably finished. It was still under warranty so I took it back and got a new one today. As soon as I got it back into the car the alarm started to go off again so I had to turn it off. I checked the manual and am wondering if it's a fuse or the alarm needs to be reset or what? It's so frustrating. Should I take one of the cables off the battery? I hate leaving the alarm off all night but it went off the other night and the neighbors were upset.

So far I've had the fuel pump replaced, AC repaired, wire to alternator repaired and still am having this battery drain. Since the alarm is factory installed is there a way to disable it?

Last edited by aprilneo; 06-19-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typo